11-11-2015 12:10 PM
73 123
tools
    Had mine a month and overall it's the best phone I've owned.

I've chopped and changed a lot in the last 12 months but I'm sticking with this one.
    Had 3 (yes, 3!) LG G3's that had hardware issues in the space of about 10 days so tried a Note 4.
    I was reasonably happy with that until Lollipop made it terrible, at which point I threw my toys out of the pram and bought an iPhone 6 Plus. Couldn't get on with that so here I am with a Nexus 6.

Battery life was iffy to say the least until 6.0 came out but it lasts all day with no questions asked now.

I get no lag, no crashes etc... 64GB gives me enough space to have anything I like on there.
    Great!

The camera still leaves a little too be desired, but it's not *bad*. It's just not great either.
    If I've learnt anything in the past year it's that the perfect phone doesn't exist yet and it's a spectacular waste of time and money trying to find it.
    Tell me about your experience with the iPhone. I use Google services but I am somewhat platform agnostic. So right now I have three front runners. The Note 5, iPhone 6+ or the Nexus 6.

I love vanilla Android but I think I may prefer the camera on the iPhone or the Note 5. It's enlightening to read the experiences on here.

I fundamentally prefer the way Android works as compared to iOS, and I am wary about Samsung's additional Apps and services on the Note. So none of my concerns are deal breakers, but it makes my decision process challenging.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-01-2015 04:46 PM
    Nevermind - I just reread the first post. The Nexus 6 camera is quite good, but it's not as fast as either the iP6s+ or the Note 5, and it's not quite as good in the dark, but it's hardly a bad camera.
    cache11 and dc9super80 like this.
    11-01-2015 04:59 PM
    If you put Nova Prime on a Note 5 your phone looks like vanilla Android and still has Sammy features if you want them...and 4 gb ram and you don't need to mess with usb 3. I mean usb 2 hasn't even caught on yet.
    11-01-2015 06:52 PM
    If you put Nova Prime on a Note 5 your phone looks like vanilla Android and still has Sammy features if you want them...and 4 gb ram and you don't need to mess with usb 3. I mean usb 2 hasn't even caught on yet.
    Samsung still kills threads just as aggressively though, and the update cycle doesn't get any faster with a better launcher on it. Not that the Note 5 isn't a solid phone, but installing a launcher doesn't address most of the advantages of a stock Android device.
    11-01-2015 07:06 PM
    Samsung still kills threads just as aggressively though, and the update cycle doesn't get any faster with a better launcher on it. Not that the Note 5 isn't a solid phone, but installing a launcher doesn't address most of the advantages of a stock Android device.
    Nexus is your choice if updates are key factor. no question.
    11-01-2015 08:21 PM
    I have had my Nexus 6 for about a month. $400 from Amazon with 64GB.

Pretty great phone. Battery could be better, but still pretty solid on M.

Speakers are very impressive.

11-01-2015 09:39 PM
    I have had my Nexus 6 for about a month. $400 from Amazon with 64GB.

Pretty great phone. Battery could be better, but still pretty solid on M.

Speakers are very impressive.
    I get 5-6 hours of SOT from my N6 even under a very heavy screen and GPS use. Sure, it could be better, but this is pretty darn good for me.
    11-01-2015 10:05 PM
    Nexus is your choice if updates are key factor. no question.
    Motorola and LG are a close second though.
    11-02-2015 01:24 AM
    Tell me about your experience with the iPhone. I use Google services but I am somewhat platform agnostic. So right now I have three front runners. The Note 5, iPhone 6+ or the Nexus 6.

I love vanilla Android but I think I may prefer the camera on the iPhone or the Note 5. It's enlightening to read the experiences on here.

I fundamentally prefer the way Android works as compared to iOS, and I am wary about Samsung's additional Apps and services on the Note. So none of my concerns are deal breakers, but it makes my decision process challenging.

Erm... Yeah. It was OK.
    I can see why they are so popular - it's a very simple experience that works well, but with that comes limitations.

I use widgets much more than I was consciously aware - having info just there on the home screen is a bigger deal than I thought and it's not the same having it in the notifications section.
    It only has 1GB of RAM which you might not notice if you're a casual user but it aggressively kills background tasks so things like my Pebble / Android Wear watch would suddenly stop working.

Google apps are obviously less baked into the OS - making Google Now, Hangouts (it doesn't ring, you just get a notification), Photos (doesn't always automatically back up and you have to open the app to kick start it) etc... much less useful.

Apps are much more sandboxed - for instance LastPass doesn't auto fill your passwords, you have to launch the app, copy your username, go back to paste it, back to LastPass to copy your password, then back again to paste it.

You can tell that they've very reluctantly allowed you to change the default browser and keyboard because it doesn't really work properly and you find Safari being launched quite frequently.

Just lots of niggly things like that.

Then there's the price to consider - even if you take away all of the above it doesn't do anything to justify the extra £££.
    It looks nicer naked than any Android phone IMO but the thing is so delicate that you have to use a case, so in reality it's just like every other phone - a rectangular slab in a plastic or rubber case.
    11-02-2015 01:49 AM
    Motorola and LG are a close second though.
    IME other than Nexus VZW is pretty slow with updates of all brands....however I am one of those odd ducks who think that is a good thing. I cannot think of many examples of a phone getting much better after an update. I can remember many cases that it gets worse. Just think of all the man hours of the manufacturer getting the phone ready for sale then compare it with the relatively short time and effort spent preparing an update. It makes sense that many phones work best in their original incarnation. Nexus sans bloat and secondary ui is better able to handle updates in many cases. All I care is that my phone does everything it is supposed to as it is supposed to and I hate it when an update kills ("improves") some feature I liked.

That said I am intrigued by the vanilla Nexus format. Should make it easier to track down problems. I've never owned a Nexus so my last comment is only my hypothesis. I don't know from experience. If only I had the funds to try every phone I like!
    11-02-2015 12:43 PM
    I agree

11-02-2015 03:56 PM
    Last week I jumped on the eBay deal nexus 6 32gb for 290. When I got it in its sealed box and all the goodies wrapped I was excited and just waiting for my fi Sim. Playing with it it would not update from 5.0. So I looked at the bootloader menu and it said software modified. Back it went and waiting for my refund. I ordered one off Amazon for 349. And no tax and it will be here tomorrow. Buyer beware. Learned my lesson about eBay. Thought I would share my experience.

recDNA, ElronTheElder and geekaren like this.
    11-02-2015 06:16 PM
    Last week I jumped on the eBay deal nexus 6 32gb for 290. When I got it in its sealed box and all the goodies wrapped I was excited and just waiting for my fi Sim. Playing with it it would not update from 5.0. So I looked at the bootloader menu and it said software modified. Back it went and waiting for my refund. I ordered one off Amazon for 349. And no tax and it will be here tomorrow. Buyer beware. Learned my lesson about eBay. Thought I would share my experience.

I got that deal too. All you have to do is unlock the bootloader and install the factory image of your choice you know. Didn't have to return it and pay more for another one.
    11-02-2015 06:18 PM
    I got that deal too. All you have to do is unlock the bootloader and install the factory image of your choice you know. Didn't have to return it and pay more for another one.
    I don't know about him but I wouldn't know how to do that and wouldn't want the security risk incurred. I don't think bank apps even work with an unlocked bootloader.
    11-02-2015 06:59 PM
    Yes but it was obviously used as apposed to new, although it was in great condition. Can you tell me if yours was software modified? I want to keep and use my nexus 6 with project Fi and not have to worry about the battery being a year old. At 349. On Amazon I still think it's a great deal for a great phone. My wife loves her nexus 6.

11-02-2015 07:16 PM
    I don't know about him but I wouldn't know how to do that and wouldn't want the security risk incurred. I don't think bank apps even work with an unlocked bootloader.
    You can always re-lock the bootloader. I don't think it will leave any trace that would prevent apps from working properly. In fact, both the Chase and Wells Fargo apps work fine on my N6, which runs a custom ROM (i.e. unlocked bootloader and rooted).
    11-02-2015 08:03 PM
    Yes but it was obviously used as apposed to new, although it was in great condition. Can you tell me if yours was software modified? I want to keep and use my nexus 6 with project Fi and not have to worry about the battery being a year old. At 349. On Amazon I still think it's a great deal for a great phone. My wife loves her nexus 6.

It was. I think they may have been Sprint phones or something.
    11-02-2015 08:39 PM
    Which ebay seller did you buy from? I ordered from blinq a few days ago on ebay for 289 hoping I don't have the same bootloader issue.

11-02-2015 09:00 PM
    Which ebay seller did you buy from? I ordered from blinq a few days ago on ebay for 289 hoping I don't have the same bootloader issue.

Blinq.
    11-02-2015 09:01 PM

11-02-2015 09:02 PM
    You can always re-lock the bootloader. I don't think it will leave any trace that would prevent apps from working properly. In fact, both the Chase and Wells Fargo apps work fine on my N6, which runs a custom ROM (i.e. unlocked bootloader and rooted).
    Oh good. When my Note 3 was rooted my bank app wouldn't work but maybe it was the rom I was using or Knox was tripped or something. Since then that phone broke and I have a replacement that cannot be rooted. Now the bank app works. I made the incorrect assumption that rooted phones didn't have some hidden security thing that bank apps didn't like...or maybe just my bank. Anyway I'm ok now with new phone. Good to know stuff works properly on a rooted Nexus.

I hope other ebay purchasers have better luck or can fix it as you instructed. Thanks.
    11-02-2015 09:16 PM
    Oh good. When my Note 3 was rooted my bank app wouldn't work but maybe it was the rom I was using or Knox was tripped or something. Since then that phone broke and I have a replacement that cannot be rooted. Now the bank app works. I made the incorrect assumption that rooted phones didn't have some hidden security thing that bank apps didn't like...or maybe just my bank. Anyway I'm ok now with new phone. Good to know stuff works properly on a rooted Nexus.
    There are quite a few apps that won't work on a rooted device FYI.
    11-02-2015 09:17 PM
    There are quite a few apps that won't work on a rooted device FYI.
    As far as I'm concerned, Android Pay is the only such app that would make me think twice about rooting my phone, if at all.
    11-02-2015 09:43 PM
    I'm absolutely loving my Nexus 6. I have no desire to use my Note 5 for the foreseeable future. Stock marshmallow is just so good.

etad putta and thatguy97 like this.
    11-03-2015 03:55 AM
    I'm absolutely loving my Nexus 6. I have no desire to use my Note 5 for the foreseeable future. Stock marshmallow is just so good.

Wow, that is quite a compliment.
    11-03-2015 10:21 AM
73 123