All things considered, especially the current price, is the Nexus 6 still a good buy?

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about him but I wouldn't know how to do that and wouldn't want the security risk incurred. I don't think bank apps even work with an unlocked bootloader.
You can always re-lock the bootloader. I don't think it will leave any trace that would prevent apps from working properly. In fact, both the Chase and Wells Fargo apps work fine on my N6, which runs a custom ROM (i.e. unlocked bootloader and rooted). :)

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes but it was obviously used as apposed to new, although it was in great condition. Can you tell me if yours was software modified? I want to keep and use my nexus 6 with project Fi and not have to worry about the battery being a year old. At 349. On Amazon I still think it's a great deal for a great phone. My wife loves her nexus 6.

Posted via the Android Central App
It was. I think they may have been Sprint phones or something.

aj042599

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Which ebay seller did you buy from? I ordered from blinq a few days ago on ebay for 289 hoping I don't have the same bootloader issue.

aj042599

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Last week I jumped on the eBay deal nexus 6 32gb for 290. When I got it in its sealed box and all the goodies wrapped I was excited and just waiting for my fi Sim. Playing with it it would not update from 5.0. So I looked at the bootloader menu and it said software modified. Back it went and waiting for my refund. I ordered one off Amazon for 349. And no tax and it will be here tomorrow. Buyer beware. Learned my lesson about eBay. Thought I would share my experience.

Which ebay seller did you buy from? I ordered from blinq a few days ago on ebay for 289 hoping I don't have the same bootloader issue.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You can always re-lock the bootloader. I don't think it will leave any trace that would prevent apps from working properly. In fact, both the Chase and Wells Fargo apps work fine on my N6, which runs a custom ROM (i.e. unlocked bootloader and rooted). :)
Oh good. When my Note 3 was rooted my bank app wouldn't work but maybe it was the rom I was using or Knox was tripped or something. Since then that phone broke and I have a replacement that cannot be rooted. Now the bank app works. I made the incorrect assumption that rooted phones didn't have some hidden security thing that bank apps didn't like...or maybe just my bank. Anyway I'm ok now with new phone. Good to know stuff works properly on a rooted Nexus.

I hope other ebay purchasers have better luck or can fix it as you instructed. Thanks.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh good. When my Note 3 was rooted my bank app wouldn't work but maybe it was the rom I was using or Knox was tripped or something. Since then that phone broke and I have a replacement that cannot be rooted. Now the bank app works. I made the incorrect assumption that rooted phones didn't have some hidden security thing that bank apps didn't like...or maybe just my bank. Anyway I'm ok now with new phone. Good to know stuff works properly on a rooted Nexus.
There are quite a few apps that won't work on a rooted device FYI.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm absolutely loving my Nexus 6. I have no desire to use my Note 5 for the foreseeable future. Stock marshmallow is just so good.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would say it probably is. The people I know with Nexus 6 devices really do not have any complaints. I just snagged a 6P and it is amazing. I think I may have just caused myself to become a Nexus junky ^_^.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
N6 was a very good device at launch for its price, albeit a good bit more expensive than Nexus fans had come to expect.

A year later, it's still a very good phone, but from a hardware spec it - like any of its contemporaries - has started to fall behind a bit. Some people will rant about it having only a mediocre camera, but at launch it was competitive with other flagships, only trailing a little in performance. In today's terms, it's still very good, but not great - but note that the difference from the N6 to whatever one wants to deem the 'best' phone camera today isn't as substantial as the difference between that 'best' phone and an inexpensive dedicated camera.

With the pricing where it's at now, the 6 is a beast of a value - better than anything else available in its price range, providing you are wanting a 'phablet-esque' screen. It's the first time I've had a Nexus where the new model has arrived and I'm not feeling any real conflict about what it would be like to not upgrade for another year.

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
N6 was a very good device at launch for its price, albeit a good bit more expensive than Nexus fans had come to expect.

..... It's the first time I've had a Nexus where the new model has arrived and I'm not feeling any real conflict about what it would be like to not upgrade for another year.

Yes. boredom, shiny newness will force an upgrade sooner than actually needed.
For now quite content with my Nexus 6.
While I don't question 6P's relative performance + improved camera.
For my usage those advantages, at best, are moot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol