Project Fi + Hangouts on Nexus 6

chefkeyser

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I just activated Project Fi on my Nexus 6 and made Hangouts my default SMS app so that I could text from the web. However, when I was speaking to a Fi rep during the activation process, she said that using Hangouts vs. the Messenger app would use data, even for SMS. Is there a way to use Messenger as the default app while still being able to text from Hangouts on the web?

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I just activated Project Fi on my Nexus 6 and made Hangouts my default SMS app so that I could text from the web. However, when I was speaking to a Fi rep during the activation process, she said that using Hangouts vs. the Messenger app would use data, even for SMS. Is there a way to use Messenger as the default app while still being able to text from Hangouts on the web?

No....unfortunately. If you want to be able to send SMS from devices other than your phone, you have to have SMS via hangouts enabled. I just switch back and forth depending on where I am and what I'm doing. It only takes a few seconds to check or uncheck the box. When I'm away from wifi, I uncheck it, and use Messenger. When I'm home, or at work, I check it, and then can use hangouts on anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy