Living on the border/Making sure our phones don't roam

Drew Hosick

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
We're in Canada eh!(See what I did there?)

We're moving to a community on the border. I have a Nexus 6/my wife has my old Nexus 5. I want to make sure that calling and data don't roam at all. I know once with the 5 I was kayaking on the St. Lawrence that separates us from the USA and I got a text from Telus saying welcome to the United States. It kind of surprised me cause I had my phone set to not roam.

Is there something I can do to make sure that I don't incur charges? Should I call my provider and see if they have any suggestions?

Also a lot of my wife's family lives 40 minutes away and will visit us... Can they make sure they don't roam with their iPhones? I only ask because my father-in-law saw the same message from Koodo saying welcome to the USA when we were driving the road we will be living on. Want to make sure it won't charge them either.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, call your provider and give them as much info on your new location soon.
Also, hang out at said location. Drive around, etc and see what your phone(s) do. Hopefully they will not roam or pick up a tower in the US.
Let us know how it goes.

Mav. :cool:

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
T-Mobile is supposed to have signed roaming agreements for US customers with Bell, Wind, Rogers, and Telus as part of their "Mobile without Borders" initiative. Could be one of those four struck some sort of reciprocity agreement with TMo for their own customers. It's worth asking about, at least.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane