Did I fall off the Verizon update train?

Mike Majeski

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
So I got tired of waiting and did the pull sim / FDR method to push 6.0 to my Nexus 6. I am now on Build number MRA58K. A few days later Verizon Nexus 6 owners started getting the OTA update, which came bundled with the November Security Update - Build number MRA58N.

It looks like I am going to miss the November Security patch, since Verizon bundled it with the 6.0 upgrade - will I get back on the Verizon OTA update train next month with the December security patch?

I don't really know how the carrier specific updates work - will "Verizon" see MRA58K next month and automatically bring up to date, or will it only look for MRA58N and leave me stuck in some Google/Verizon purgatory?

Last edited:

Mike Majeski

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it will be interesting to see, since it looks like we are getting another combo pack this month with a 6.0.1 and Dec security update.
No OTA on Verizon yet, but its only been a few days.

Figures, when I did the sim pull to get 6.0, Verizon pushed the OTA a day or two later.

Mike Majeski

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
From the sounds of this Android Police article, we might be hosed

How To Make Sense Of All The Different Nexus 6 Builds: Why They Exist And What It All Means

So, what happens if you're on T-Mobile and flashed LMY47D because you just couldn't wait for Android 5.1? Well, now you're stuck because the Android 5.1.1 update with Wi-Fi calling is only rolling out if you're on LMY47M, which is the official T-Mobile build. Well, the only way to get around a scenario like this is to flash factory images. If your bootloader is locked, though, that's going to mean unlocking it, and losing all your data in the process. Unfortunately, there's no magic option to get around that. If your bootloader is already unlocked, though, you can flash the factory images for the proper build, and not lose your data.

Granted, I simply pulled my sim to get the OTA (MRA58K), not flash it, but if Verizon is looking for MRA58R, then I don't think it will push it to the latest. Guess I'm stuck pulling the sim and reloading every month or risking it and trying to flash the Verizon OTA when it becomes available.

This shouldn't be this difficult, but oh well. Guess if I wanted straight-forward updates I should have gotten an iPhone.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
From the sounds of this Android Police article, we might be hosed

How To Make Sense Of All The Different Nexus 6 Builds: Why They Exist And What It All Means

Granted, I simply pulled my sim to get the OTA (MRA58K), not flash it, but if Verizon is looking for MRA58R, then I don't think it will push it to the latest. Guess I'm stuck pulling the sim and reloading every month or risking it and trying to flash the Verizon OTA when it becomes available.

This shouldn't be this difficult, but oh well. Guess if I wanted straight-forward updates I should have gotten an iPhone.

I jumped the tracks to MRA58K with at&t figuring 58K would surely be approved by at&t. Nope...at&t hasn't even approved a marshmallow build yet. So, to keep from constantly Factory resetting my phone or flashing new builds, I flashed back to LMY48Y Lollipop build specific to at&t with November security and left it at that. I don't know what Marshmallow build at&t will approve for my N6 and I'm not up for playing the guessing game. I just want a simple ota and this is the only way.

Mike Majeski

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Guess I have to figure out the proper Verizon path. Anywhere I could find that? Verizon says the current one MRA58R. Everyone else went to MRA58N in November. Only Verizon pushed MRA58R. So it looks like I would have to flash back to LMY48T and then update to MRA58R and then hope that gets me back on the track.

Any reason why when Verizon pushed the Dec update, it can't see MRA58K and be like, "oh you're behind", push the correct updates and bring me back on? Guess I could always just do the sim pull every month, since my Nexus is unlocked it has no problem receiving the official Google updates.Or just hope Verizon makes it easy and pushes the same builds as everyone else.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Guess I have to figure out the proper Verizon path. Anywhere I could find that? Verizon says the current one MRA58R. Everyone else went to MRA58N in November. Only Verizon pushed MRA58R. So it looks like I would have to flash back to LMY48T and then update to MRA58R and then hope that gets me back on the track.

Any reason why when Verizon pushed the Dec update, it can't see MRA58K and be like, "oh you're behind", push the correct updates and bring me back on? Guess I could always just do the sim pull every month, since my Nexus is unlocked it has no problem receiving the official Google updates.Or just hope Verizon makes it easy and pushes the same builds as everyone else.

Yeah. Nexus 6 on Verizon is currently MRA58R.

The whole update for different carriers path thing is a bit annoying. I can see why the N6 was first and last to do it.

Mike Majeski

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I did another sim pull / FDR and got myself to MRA58N with the Nov security patch. I'd flash / sideload but all I have available is a Chromebook and a very unstable Linux PC I am ready to toss in the dumpster (trust me, this thing will try to take my Nexus 6 with it). I'm hoping MMB29K is the only build this month, so either I'll get lucky and the OTA or do another FDR later this month and get back on track the hard way.

Which reminds me, how does Google not reward those of us who go all-in on the ecosystem and buy a Chromebook, not give us a way to sideload / flash Android? Hell, there should be a plug and play option like the Windows Rollback software for Windows Phone.

Jdhome

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I thought I would relay what I did after wondering if I fell off the "update train" as it has been mentioned. I flashed my Verizon Nexus 6 in early November to Marshmallow and it worked fine. However I noticed I never got the November security update nor the December one. So after reading this thread I decided to try flashing it back to LMY47E and see if that did it or not and got me back on track.

I flashed it this morning to LMY47E following the instructions on developer.android.com and voila after locking it backup and rebooting I got the 5.1.1 update then the subsequent security updates through J I think and then I got the notice that 6.0 was available and ready to download. It's now installing on it from the OTA update. So I would say to get back on the train, flash back to stock and lock it up again and do the updates and just wait in the future when updates are to be pushed out. It's not fun but at least it will be painless and secure which is why I bought the N6 to begin with.

Enjoy!

Jdhome

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I forgot to note that I did this with the sim out. I had to put it in a backup phone in case I got calls. So the sim was out.

Thanks for asking about that.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't sim out just get me back on the Google path again?

Yeah. With the sim out I suspect he's still not on the Verizon path but the international path since he took all the OTAs sim out. If I had to guess he's prolly at MRA58N which isn't the Verizon build.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jdhome

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I apologize for leading anyone astray. The only reason I had the sim out was to put in a back up phone while my nexus 6 was updating.

So indeed it was MRA58N.

I reflashed LMY47E with the SIM IN and went through all the updates and such and now I'm back on the Verizon Tracks - Version is now MRA58R, November 1, 2015 security path, Android 6.0.

Again my apologies - now I'll just leave this alone and let the updates come over the air!
-Pat

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I apologize for leading anyone astray. The only reason I had the sim out was to put in a back up phone while my nexus 6 was updating.

So indeed it was MRA58N.

I reflashed LMY47E with the SIM IN and went through all the updates and such and now I'm back on the Verizon Tracks - Version is now MRA58R, November 1, 2015 security path, Android 6.0.

Again my apologies - now I'll just leave this alone and let the updates come over the air!
-Pat

What made you choose that particular build LMY47E?

Posted via the Android Central App

Jdhome

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
It was the build that it came with right on the box so I figured I would just start there, back to they way it was before.

-Pat

Mike Majeski

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Never a dull moment with Android updates. Is this carrier specific build issue something that only affects the Nexus 6? Or is the same thing going on with the 6P and 5X?