BEWARE - Many bad USB-C Cables Out There!!

lipmonger

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Apparently there are a ton of USB-C cables out there on Amazon and eBay that do not fully conform to the USB-C spec. These cables can potentially damage your USB hub/charger/PC. A guy with Google is ordering/testing a ton of cables to make sure they are within spec for your Nexus 5x and 6P.

The guy's name is Benson Leung, and there are details below:

Benson's Amazon.com Reviews
Google Spreadsheet Summarizing Benson's Tests (from bmcclure937 at Reddit)
Benson's Google Plus Page
News Article from Endgadget
USBCcompliant.com - Summary of approved cables/products, although not complete. Reddit spreadsheet is more up-to-date.
$12.99 Official Google USB Cable - USB Type-C to USB Standard-A Plug Cable at Google Store

The "safe" cables are, of course, more expensive. But it's better to spend the money than to ruin a charger/computer/device.

Sorry in advance if this info is a repost!

UPDATE: Added usbccompliant.com link.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the PSA--this is the kind of thing that's worth posting again from time to time, so that everyone is well aware of it!

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Admins could we get a sticky on this thread? Would be nice to be able to easily find this thread when I buy cables again.

I bought a couple of the CableMatters cables and they are definitely not good... when I was trying to transfer files with this cable from my Surface Pro 3 to my 6P it kept on losing connection to the 6P. When I used the cable that came with the 6P it worked fine.

tostler

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
In anticipation of my Nexus 6P's arrival I purchased 2 USB-C cables and a micro USB to Type C adapter from OnePlus.
Am I correct in assuming as long as I avoid using them with quick charge adapters my 6P will be ok?

lipmonger

May 30, 2013
Visit site
In anticipation of my Nexus 6P's arrival I purchased 2 USB-C cables and a micro USB to Type C adapter from OnePlus.
Am I correct in assuming as long as I avoid using them with quick charge adapters my 6P will be ok?

The 6P should be OK for the most part, regardless of the adapter you connect it to. The problem is that the quick-charge is on the 6P side, and it may try to draw too much current from a legacy adapter/PC. For example, you may have a 2A charger, but your 6P may see it as a newer device and attempt to draw 3A from it. While the 6P may end up being fine, you could ruin the older charger/PC-port/cable, etc., by pulling more amps than it's rated for. And there have been documented instances of severe overheating of cables, chargers, and damage to PC motherboards (in rare/extreme cases).

Honestly, with a $600 phone, why risk it? Dump those crap cables and buy the right ones.

Here is the specific detail from Benson regarding the OnePlus cable:

"By using this cable, your phone, tablet, or laptop computer may attempt to draw 3A [of power]," writes Leung. "Which may be more than the micro-b to A cable you attach to this adapter may be able to handle. This may cause damage to whatever cable, hub, PC, or charger you plug into this."

Leung adds that this won't have an affect on the OnePlus 2 itself as the handset doesn't support Type-C fast charging, and that the warning is more for owners of the Type-C compliant Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, and Chromebook Pixel. "However, it's still not cool to keep that cable around because the next phone or tablet or laptop computer you buy might support 3A fast charging, and if you forget that cable is bad, you may damage a charger sometime in the future," says Leung. "If you want to keep the cable, mark it with a tag so you don't forget it's special." But not special in a good way.
Source: Google engineer says you shouldn’t buy OnePlus USB Type-C cables | The Verge

UPDATE: See new link added to my original post.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Well crap, I have three of those oneplus cables here that I got for the 6P. Anyone know how oneplus is handling this?

lipmonger

May 30, 2013
Visit site

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Good stuff. I can give both the iorange and Aukey a 👍. Both work great on my 6P. Aukey is TBD on Benson spreadsheet but the cable worked great for me, no overheating at all. It's c to c and I used with official charging brick. I suppose wait until he gives it the official 👍 but I'm just speaking on my own experience.

lipmonger

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Good stuff. I can give both the iorange and Aukey a ������. Both work great on my 6P. Aukey is TBD on Benson spreadsheet but the cable worked great for me, no overheating at all...

This approach is not advised.

Technically, ALL of the USB-C cables available on eBay and Amazon will "work," in that they will charge your 5x and 6P... they may just not do it safely/correctly. In most cases you will not know there is a problem until it is too late, and your charger/brick/PC is damaged beyond repair.

If you are comfortable using an untested cable, so be it. But this is not the recommended approach. To make sure your phone and chargers work properly and safely, you should only use a cable that has been tested and fully conforms to USB-C specifications.

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I think we at a risk of this while things transition from to USB-C.... basically what is going on is that some manufacturers appear to just be grabbing their on-hand stock and pretty much slapping a USB-C plug on the end to save money.

So kudos to those out there doing the research and making this issue visible.

vomhorizon

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Anyone that bought cable matters cables from Amazon should contact them to get the new cable that complies to the standards sent out for free.

lipmonger

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Anyone that bought cable matters cables from Amazon should contact them to get the new cable that complies to the standards sent out for free.

Thanks for this info... I just contacted Cable Matters about the cables I ordered from them on Amazon. Hopefully they replace them when they release the new version. I'll post their email response if/when I get one.

lipmonger

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that Cable Matters will replace your USB-C cables, if you've already ordered one. Here is their response to my email to customer support...

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us.

Our Cable Matters team has recently discovered that there is a potential risk when using our current Cable Matters® USB Type C (USB-C) to Type A (USB-A) Cables. However, we found that risk is only applicable if that cable is being connected to a computer or similar host device. If you are using this cable simply as a charging cable plugged into a USB charger, there is no risk.

We have already met with our suppliers and the new cables that we have made do not have this risk and can be used successfully for both charging and data transfer. We now have these in stock and would like to offer to send you a replacement cable at no additional cost.

Again, we apologize for any sort of inconvenience that may have occurred. Please let us know if this would be acceptable and confirm below delivery address, then we will send it right out. I look forward to hearing back from you.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm that Cable Matters will replace your USB-C cables, if you've already ordered one. Here is their response to my email to customer support...

That's awesome, I purchased 5 of those CableMatters cables... Definitely getting mine replaced.