Neuxs 6 ota question

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
i have my nexus 6 unlocked and decrpyted, will i still receive ota's ?

How did you decrypt your phone? Only ways I know how all require a custom recovery... which breaks OTAs.... or root access, which break OTAs, etc.

Basically if you touch any system stuff... kernel, system, boot image, etc... OTAs are a no go even if they pop on your phone and download. They will most likely fail when it comes time to load.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I used the Nexus Root tool kit.
1st. I unlocked the bootloader.
2nd. I used the tool kit to decrypt it.

It does it all for you.

Lam I Am

Yeah.. I'm well aquianted with Wugfresh... great tool.

Based on what you said.. good news and bad news. First, the bad news. Based on the system modifications you made, any attempt to download an install an OTA will most likely fail on the prerequisite scripts that the OTA runs; you'll get the little dead Android on his back.

GOOD news is since you've already set up and used the NRT, you can do everything an OTA can do from just the factory image (which is released a lot quicker). You can upgrade (without blowing away your data), reflash, everything. Fahgitabbout OTAs. :)

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
What about if you is NRT to lock bootloader and downgrade the software? Would you still receive ota updates?

Bootloader being unlocked is not the problem. If you made no changes to the system (including decrypting/rooting/etc), you can happily take OTA, and it will apply without a problem.

For OTA to successfully apply, your system partitions (including recovery) must be completely stock. Else, OTA will fail. If you want to take OTA, you must get your phone completely stock, and then take OTA. This requires you to flash factory images. A better option would be to not bother with OTA, and just flash the system partitions for the new build you want to get to.

Example: if you are on Build 1 (modified system), and there is an OTA to get you from Build 1 to Build 2.
You can either flash stock Build 1, and then take OTA to get to Build 2, or just take the easy route and directly flash Build 2.

Edit: If you are making any modifications, or if you intend to flash sometime in the future, I'd urge you to NOT lock your bootloader again. I've seen enough people get stuck in a bootloop/bricked because they didn't do things in the right way. Besides, on a Nexus 6, locking or unlocking the bootloader will wipe all your data. So, unless you have super sensitive data on your phone that you are worried about a technically proficient person getting access to (if they have physical access to your phone), you really have no need to lock your bootloader.

dakid2k6

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Bootloader being unlocked is not the problem. If you made no changes to the system (including decrypting/rooting/etc), you can happily take OTA, and it will apply without a problem.

For OTA to successfully apply, your system partitions (including recovery) must be completely stock. Else, OTA will fail. If you want to take OTA, you must get your phone completely stock, and then take OTA. This requires you to flash factory images. A better option would be to not bother with OTA, and just flash the system partitions for the new build you want to get to.

Example: if you are on Build 1 (modified system), and there is an OTA to get you from Build 1 to Build 2.
You can either flash stock Build 1, and then take OTA to get to Build 2, or just take the easy route and directly flash Build 2.

Edit: If you are making any modifications, or if you intend to flash sometime in the future, I'd urge you to NOT lock your bootloader again. I've seen enough people get stuck in a bootloop/bricked because they didn't do things in the right way. Besides, on a Nexus 6, locking or unlocking the bootloader will wipe all your data. So, unless you have super sensitive data on your phone that you are worried about a technically proficient person getting access to (if they have physical access to your phone), you really have no need to lock your bootloader.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I guess I'll keep it easy and just flash the updates I want. Right now just got fix my radio issue. Someone told me to flash different radios to see which help.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Thank you jj14x. Just unlocked my bootloader and erased everything. Does not matter I have all the major stuff backup. Just have to log into apps and reconfigure them again. The bootloader is staying unlocked and now I can sideload updates day 1 instead of having to wait 3 months now like I do with my Nexus 7 (2013) with the unlocked bootloader.

Just made sure after the flash update I got my full 64gb of storage and it was not cut in half.

Question though I used the Nexus root toolkit when the December update comes out how do I sideload a factory image without erasing everything again if it is possible?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Question though I used the Nexus root toolkit when the December update comes out how do I sideload a factory image without erasing everything again if it is possible?

In the NRT settings, there's a toggle to retain your data when flashing an image. That's the easiest way. Other way is to individually flash everything except the userdata image.... You might only need to do system.img if there's no changes to the radio and bootloader.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks LeoRex. I don't use NRT (or another toolkit) - if something goes wrong, I suspect I wouldn't have any idea how to resolve it (because I wouldn't know what has been done, and what step failed etc). Besides, fastboot is really pretty easy, and I can usually complete the update using fastboot in a minute after connecting the phone to my PC, so no need to use a toolkit ;)

The fastboot steps that LeoRex listed are accurate. Just flash in the right sequence (rebooting bootloader when needed), and skip userdata.img
Works reliably.

Code:
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash radio radio.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash cache cache.img

Just have to log into apps and reconfigure them again.
Check to see if the apps that need to be configured have an option to backup/export the settings. If so, just do that now, and backup to Google drive or another location. That way, if you ever have to wipe your phone for any reason, all you will need to do is open up the app, and restore the settings. I do that for a couple of widgets that I use. Everything else just restores from the cloud ;)

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Right now just got fix my radio issue. Someone told me to flash different radios to see which help.
Try picking the radio.img from the 'right' factory image for your carrier. Sadly, Google still doesn't seem to have a unified build across carriers. Grr!

On T-Mo, MRA56K (everything including radio) seems to be working great for me

dakid2k6

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Try picking the radio.img from the 'right' factory image for your carrier. Sadly, Google still doesn't seem to have a unified build across carriers. Grr!

On T-Mo, MRA56K (everything including radio) seems to be working great for me

Is that MM? I downgraded to 5.1.1 because my radio signal isn't stay as on my moto x or note 4 or even nexus 5.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Check to see if the apps that need to be configured have an option to backup/export the settings. If so, just do that now, and backup to Google drive or another location. That way, if you ever have to wipe your phone for any reason, all you will need to do is open up the app, and restore the settings. I do that for a couple of widgets that I use. Everything else just restores from the cloud
I do that for whatever apps support it like Podcast Republic and Nova Launcher. As for Googles new 6.0 backup and restore it is still useless as usual. The only app that remembered my settings after the restore was Power Toggles which is good because there is no export backup settings and Greenify. Every other app I had to log in to and reconfigure again.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci