After thinking a lot about this over the weekend, I decided not to wait on AT&T for the OTA and just install MM on my N6 that I bought directly from Google back in January of this year. The main reason I decided not to wait is that others who have received the OTA from T-Mo and VZW were having to do an FDR (Factory Data Reset) to fix some of the issues they were having. I figured if I have to do an FDR, why not just do it myself and unlock the bootloader, flash MRA58R (the latest version of MM with the latest security updates) and then put all my data back.

So after backing up all my data that was important using Helium and copying the data to my computer, I downloaded the NRT (Nexus Root Toolkit) from Wugfresh and installed it on my windows computer. After launching the app, I had to tell NRT what version my phone was and what build I was currently on (Nexus 6 XT1100, XT1103 Build LMY48Y). Next step was to unlock the bootloader. Using NRT, this was a no brainer. Just click the button and follow the directions.

Next, I had to flash MRA58R. Again, a no brainer. I followed the directions in this video and made the applicable changes for my phone.

I put all my data back on the phone and everything is working great. The only mistake I made was not locking the bootloader BEFORE I started putting my data back. On old versions of Android, re-locking the bootloader didn't wipe user data. On MM, it does. You can read more about that here: WARNING: Locking Bootloader Wipes Data! | Nexus 6

UPDATE: I'm glad I have left my bootloader unlocked. While I understand it's a security issue if I ever lost my phone, it's a chance I'm willing to take since future updates will be much easier since I won't have to unlock the bootloader and wipe all my data.

So now I have my N6 on AT&T running MM 6.0, build MRA58R and I don't have to wait for AT&T to send me an OTA.

UPDATE: I have since updated to 6.0.1 (MMB29K) using NRT.

I can't say enough about the NRT. It was SO easy to use. From now on, I will never wait for an OTA. I will ALWAYS flash a full image to a clean phone.

BEFORE:

AFTER:
    vepac and geekaren like this.
    11-30-2015 01:49 PM
    I was thinking of doing the same thing

Posted via the Android Central App from my VZW Nexus 6 on T-Mobile
    11-30-2015 04:18 PM
    I was thinking of doing the same thing

Posted via the Android Central App from my VZW Nexus 6 on T-Mobile
    Do it! With NRT, it is SO easy and quick. Flashing the image only took about 5 minutes. The time consuming part was putting all the data back on the phone. I can't believe I waited as long as I did to do this. I know the OTA is handy because it keeps your data, but starting with the clean phone and a fresh image can't be beat. The phone is so snappy and quick. I'm glad I took the time to do it.
    11-30-2015 05:12 PM
    Is it okay after to leave the bootloader unlocked after flashing? I locked mine after flashing in October which I regret since I am not getting any security updates for November no more.
    12-01-2015 02:49 PM
    Is it okay after to leave the bootloader unlocked after flashing? I locked mine after flashing in October which I regret since I am not getting any security updates for November no more.
    Sure. I left mine unlocked because I didn't want to have to "re-do" all the data again. Next time I flash the phone, I'll lock it before before I put the data back.

BTW...locking the bootloader is the right thing to do. It's the way the phone comes from the factory. Whether or not the bootloader is locked or unlocked has nothing to do with whether or not you'll receive an OTA.

As a side note, my N7 (2013) had been running slow recently so I decided to re-flash MRA58V this morning using NRT. Very quick and painless process since I didn't have much data on the tablet. I noticed that doing an OEM lock on the N7 didn't wipe the user data like it does on the N6 running Marshmallow, so that's a good thing. I installed the fresh image, OEM locked the N7 and put the data back on the tablet. The whole process took less than 30 minutes and now my N7 is very snappy, just like it was when it was new.
    12-01-2015 04:05 PM
    After I saw this post I decided to do it too. Works great. Thanks
    BartmanJax likes this.
    12-01-2015 04:55 PM
    I also used the Wugfresh NRT to update my Google Play Store Nexus 6 on AT&T, worked just fine. But I'm confused on the bootloader locked vs Unlocked, I locked mine when I was finished loading 6.0, does this mean I will not get OTA security updates or any OTA updates? I thought unlocked bootloaders didn't get OTA updates. I Don't know which is right.

Posted via the Android Central App
    BartmanJax likes this.
    12-01-2015 07:23 PM
    I decided to do it this afternoon using wugfresh and got the tmobile lollipop to then let it ota update to marshmallow. Works great!
    BartmanJax likes this.
    12-01-2015 07:47 PM
    I also used the Wugfresh NRT to update my Google Play Store Nexus 6 on AT&T, worked just fine. But I'm confused on the bootloader locked vs Unlocked, I locked mine when I was finished loading 6.0, does this mean I will not get OTA security updates or any OTA updates? I thought unlocked bootloaders didn't get OTA updates. I Don't know which is right.

Whether or not you choose to lock the bootloader or choose to leave it unlocked has nothing to do with whether or not you will receive an OTA. Keeping the bootloader locked is a security issue. With an unlocked bootloader, anyone who steals your phone can gain access to all of the information on your phone and bypass any security that you've added, such as a password or a pin code .

If your device is rooted and has a custom ROM then you won't receive an OTA.

Locking your bootloader when you're done is the right thing to do. That's the way comes from the factory.
    PAC757, tonyr6 and geekaren like this.
    12-01-2015 09:07 PM
    Whether or not you choose to lock the bootloader or choose to leave it unlocked has nothing to do with whether or not you will receive an OTA. Keeping the bootloader locked is a security issue. With an unmarked bootloader, anyone who steals your phone can gain access to all of the information on your phone and bypass any security that you've added, such as a password or a pin code .

If your device is rooted and has a custom ROM then you won't receive an OTA.

Locking your bootloader when you're done is the right thing to do. That's the way comes from the factory.
    Thank you, that's what I thought but wasn't sure, thanks again.

12-01-2015 10:23 PM
    This method worked great. Driver setup was a challenge for my setup and had to flash using the force flash option as the first flash didn't take. Before you relock the bootloader, you have to go into development settings and re-enable "unlock bootloader" before you lock it. A little counterintuitive.... lol.
    Phone freaking flies and battery seems much better. If you are on the fence, do it.
    BartmanJax likes this.
    12-02-2015 08:17 AM
    This method worked great. Driver setup was a challenge for my setup and had to flash using the force flash option as the first flash didn't take. Before you relock the bootloader, you have to go into development settings and re-enable "unlock bootloader" before you lock it. A little counterintuitive.... lol.
    Phone freaking flies and battery seems much better. If you are on the fence, do it.
    Yeah, that part is a bit of a PITA. Anytime you unlock or relock the bootloader on the N6, it turns off USB Debugging and you have to go back through those steps and turn it back on. Other than that, glad you got your phone flashed. NRT makes it much easier.
    12-02-2015 11:18 AM
    So locking my bootloader Nexus 6 was smart. I do kept my Nexus 7 (2013) bootloader unlocked because it is no longer under warranty and never leaves the house.
    12-02-2015 02:36 PM
    Thanks this worked great! Coming from a Nexus 5 I was missing 6.0.
    BartmanJax likes this.
    12-02-2015 07:34 PM
    Did it last night, finally! Took two tries.
    BartmanJax likes this.
    12-03-2015 05:24 PM
    Did it about 2 weeks ago, so far no problems. AT&T hasn't even hinted at what their doing with 6.0 or when it may be available, not a peep out of them.

12-05-2015 02:22 PM
    It's been a week since I installed MRA58R on my N6 on the AT&T network and the only issue I've experienced is one app that hasn't been updated to work on MM, the "Watch ABC" app. Other than that, everything is great. The phone works perfectly. "Doze" has been a welcome addition and the new "System UI Tuner" feature is kind of nice.

Why AT&T is delaying the release is beyond me. I guess they have their reasons. Fortunately, we don't have to depend on them for updates.
    12-06-2015 09:43 PM