Notification Problems - Mostly Hangouts

jt_3212

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
My wife has a Project Fi Nexus 6 running Marshmallow. She has an issue where she will randomly not be notified of any new text messages or hangouts messages. I have poured through internet threads and can't find a solution so I figured I'd give you all a shout.

Basically what happens:
  • She uses Hangouts as her default SMS app
  • While the phone is locked, usually at work, she will not be notified of a new text OR hangouts message
  • Once she unlocks the phone AND opens hangouts, the messages will rapidly notify her of new texts
  • All the time stamps on the messages are correct, showing they were received normally

I cannot recreate this issue at all and it is frustrating to her as she never knows when someone has sent her a message. All the priority settings and notification settings seem to be correct. There is a possibility that other notifications (like Gmail) have the same issue, but I haven't been able to confirm this as she doesn't pay as much attention to it.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I appreciate the help!

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
A few questions:
Does this seem to happen on wifi, cellular or both?
Does it seem to happen mostly when she's at work?
When on cellular, does it seem to happen on Tmobile or Sprint's network or both?

I know that's a lot to take in, but the more info you can get the better off you'll be for troubleshooting.

You may want to try and stop using Hangouts for SMS and see if it still happens, again for troubleshooting.

jt_3212

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
-She is on wifi most of the time so I would have to assume this is when it happens primarily.
-It does seem to mostly be while she is at work. Working a normal Monday-Friday job this is also when she receives the most messages. Can't remember her complaining about this on the weekend though (but like all good husbands, I block things out occasionally :p).
-Definitely wouldn't know what provider she is on when it is happening but I'll see if I can determine that.

Will have her try Messenger as the default for awhile to see if that helps.

I'll update if I learn more!

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed at times my Note 4 (also happened once or twice on my Nexus 6) that i will have issues with google connectivity (gmail and hangouts) and its either WiFi issue or an ISP issue. I have NEVER had an issue when its been on a cellular connection. Test it on cellular at the location she has the issues and my guess is it will be either WiFi or the ISP they are using.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Google Voice app also has the issue. The good thing about that is at the bottom is a refresh option. When im having the issues the refresh circle keeps spinning. For me thats always a great way to test.
Another app is the Earthquake Alert app. In the app you can set up a specific criteria for it to search and update, mine are 2.0 and up within 1000 miles for the week only. When i open the app it updates very fast. BUT if im having those same google connectivity issues the app will get stuck updating.. So i have been able to use both those apps to help me identify when i have issues with WiFi and i will stay on or get off depending on if those two apps work OK.

2waterfowl

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Try going to battery optimization and choose "don't optimize" for those apps that you need notifications immediately. I had a similar problem and it resolved the issue.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Also, make sure wifi calling is off and see if the issue continues. I don't know if that feature is available on Fi but if it is, turn it off for testing.

jt_3212

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed at times my Note 4 (also happened once or twice on my Nexus 6) that i will have issues with google connectivity (gmail and hangouts) and its either WiFi issue or an ISP issue. I have NEVER had an issue when its been on a cellular connection. Test it on cellular at the location she has the issues and my guess is it will be either WiFi or the ISP they are using.

Had her turn wifi off and test and this DID work! I had not thought wifi should interfere with SMS texts. I will continue to test this when she works Monday but this leads to more questions for me:

Why does having wifi on cause problems with the SMS notification? I can understand gmail and hangouts message but does hangouts as an app continually need internet to receive notifications?

Is there a way to fix this on our end? Being on Fi we pay for all the data being used, so being on wifi as much as possible is preferable.

Thanks again though! At least we have a solution and culprit!

Try going to battery optimization and choose "don't optimize" for those apps that you need notifications immediately. I had a similar problem and it resolved the issue.

I will give that a try to see if that helps the wifi problem!

Also, make sure wifi calling is off and see if the issue continues. I don't know if that feature is available on Fi but if it is, turn it off for testing.

Doesn't look like wifi calling is available on Fi but that's a good thought!