Motorola Nexus 6 is not accessible through USB on PC (MTP)

Shayer Ahmed

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Motorola nexus 6 with Android Marsh mellow. When I first connected my phone to my pc via USB, the drivers installed under "Samsung Android Phone" as "Google nexus ADB interface" in Device Manager. There is no interface in My Computer from where to access the phone from pc. I switched to MTP mode one the phone and enabled usb debugging and tried upgrading driver from google. But Windows say the latest driver is installed.

When I switched to PTP mode on the phone then all the drivers are installed and I can access only the picture folders from PC. In this case the driver under "Samsung Android Phone" is "Android Composite USN Interface". But MTP mode does not work

Please Help

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What version of Windows are you running, and is the system fully up to date? I recall a similar issue a while back on Windows 8 or 8.1, where the Nexus 5 was being recognized as an Acer ADB Device in the Windows Device Manager. I think it was a glitchy Windows patch that caused this, which was corrected in the next update.

ejwaits

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. In the Windows explorer I have a link to my Nexus 6, but when I click on the link all I get is "This folder is empty." I'm using W10, recently updated, and Android Marshmallow, also recently updated. I have never received any notification about installing or enabling MTP when connecting via USB. Help.:(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I recall that when my Nexus 5 updated to Marshmallow, I had to swipe down the notification panel after connecting via USB to tap the USB notification, then select MTP, since Charge Only was the default. There was no USB notification icon in the status bar, either. So try swiping your notification panel down and see if there's a USB notification there.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
That happened to me. You not only need to update the drivers for usb but you need to update the drivers for adb. After I did that it worked perfectly.

Posted via the Android Central App

jetman5843

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nexus 6 and I had the same issue. If you pull down the notification window while the phone is plugged into the PC, click on the notification that says something about being USB connected and a list will pop up. If you click on the radio button for transferring between PC to phone and it will allow you to transfer files.

charlemagne65

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
I have the Nexus 6 connection issue, only worse. Even with USB debugging enabled (I had to enable the developer options to even get this option) I get "USB Device Not Recognized" popup. Several transfer modes attempted (MTP, PTP, RNDIS, etc). This has happened on Windows 7 and 10. The phone is on Android 6.0.1. I've tried several things:

1) adb driver installer: when I launch it, my device doesn't show up.
2) saw a video on youtube whereby I update all the usb drivers under device manager; didn't work for me.
3) downloaded an app from the play store called "USB Driver for Android". There was flash of hope here. I was able to connect and actually tested loading a few mp3 files. It worked twice, and then I was back to the device not being recognized.

This all started b/c I invested in an Android Auto compatible stereo for my car. After installing the deck and connecting the phone, it was all working as advertised. It worked twice and then the phone was never again recognized by the deck (Pioneer). I had a friend plug in his Galaxy s7 running 6.0.1 and it worked perfectly.

I hate the thought of replacing this phone, which I otherwise really like, with another just so I it can connect to my car stereo. Moreover, I would have to switch carriers (since Project Fi only works on a few devices).

I'm hoping that upon reading this, someone will think "well duh, all you have to do is x..." and then type it as a reply here. If I left out anything of importance, please let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol