Is owning a Nexus 6 in 2016 worth sticking with?

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I recently bought a Nexus 6 32GB White and updated it to Marshmallow 6.0.1 February 2016 update and I sometimes see the Nexus 6P as the 'better' device but will cost me more money. Should I stay with the Nexus 6?

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
It does and it doesn't. Battery life is okayish. I still have to charge my phone after 6 hours each time. In hand it doesn't feel like a premium device anymore. I don't know if the 6P has better battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I still have to charge my phone after 6 hours each time.

Depends on your usage. What are you using your phone for in those 6 hours? If you phone is sitting idle, you should not experience more than 1-2% drain in 6 hours. However, if you are actively using your phone (screen on), 4-5 hours is close to the max you can expect to get. (if you are using GPS navigation with screen on, expect even less.

So, it does boil down to your usage. My N6 easily makes it thru' the entire day, with about 30-40% or so remaining at the end of day. I charge up to 100% before I go to sleep, and take it off the charger. In the morning, I'm at about 98%. During the day, I'm connected to the internet (combination of mobile data and Wifi) the whole time - take very few calls (maybe 15 minutes at most), lots of Emails/messaging, browsing, some youtube, music streaming etc. Screen is usually on for about 3 hours on average.

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
For me it is. Never again will I pay a premium price for a newly released phone. Back on January 2015, I paid $750 for my 64gb Nexus 6. I could buy one now for $300. Was it worth the $450 "depreciation" to be an early adopter? Hell NO! Depending on what the next Nexus is, I'll either stick with my N6 until 6-8 months after it is released or I'll pick up a 6P when they're closing them out.

To pay $549 for a 64GB or $649 for a 128GB N6P is absolutely out of the question. When they close them out, they'll be $250-$300. Then I might get one.

Last edited:

bigsmoke79

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Gotta ask yourself what really will the 6P give you that the 6 won't? better build (debatable), better camera, fingerprint sensor that's really it? both operate exact same software .

Really comes down to money and if you want to spend the extra for soo little features?

I recently bought a 64gb N6 cheap new in the UK and won't upgrade to the 6P until they are selling them off later in the year at decent discounts.

Stay a Nexus behind and get your moneys worth and upgrade later for cheaper with all bugs ironed out, that's what the sensible buyer does.

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Depends on your usage. What are you using your phone for in those 6 hours? If you phone is sitting idle, you should not experience more than 1-2% drain in 6 hours. However, if you are actively using your phone (screen on), 4-5 hours is close to the max you can expect to get. (if you are using GPS navigation with screen on, expect even less.

So, it does boil down to your usage. My N6 easily makes it thru' the entire day, with about 30-40% or so remaining at the end of day. I charge up to 100% before I go to sleep, and take it off the charger. In the morning, I'm at about 98%. During the day, I'm connected to the internet (combination of mobile data and Wifi) the whole time - take very few calls (maybe 15 minutes at most), lots of Emails/messaging, browsing, some youtube, music streaming etc. Screen is usually on for about 3 hours on average.

True. My usage is mainly some music, web browsing and playing 8 ball pool.

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
For me it is. Never again will I pay a premiom price for a newly released phone. Back on January 2015, I paid $750 for my 64gb Nexus 6. I could buy one now for $300. Was it worth the $450 "depreciation" to be an early adopter? Hell NO! Depending on what the next Nexus is, I'll either stick with my N6 until 6-8 months after it is released or I'll pick up a 6P when they're closing them out.

To pay $549 for a 64GB or $649 for a 128GB N6P is absolutely out of the question. When they close them out, they'll be $250-$300. Then I might get one.
Here in the UK, the Nexus 6p is the same price as an iPhone 6 plus. Very expensive.

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Gotta ask yourself what really will the 6P give you that the 6 won't? better build (debatable), better camera, fingerprint sensor that's really it? both operate exact same software .

Really comes down to money and if you want to spend the extra for soo little features?

I recently bought a 64gb N6 cheap new in the UK and won't upgrade to the 6P until they are selling them off later in the year at decent discounts.

Stay a Nexus behind and get your moneys worth and upgrade later for cheaper with all bugs ironed out, that's what the sensible buyer does.

Very true. I don't really need a fingerprint scanner because I always have my device in my pocket or in my hand a lot of the time. Plus I can't understand the concept of adding and extra step to use the phone. Security wise I can understand but its not a big deal to me. Yeah I'm gonna save my money. :)

bigsmoke79

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Well the Nexus 6P 32gb in gold (gold only) is £414.00 and £464.00 64gb at the Google Play store in the UK if that's any good you?

My N6 64gb cost £264.99 direct from Motorola, and I won't change it until I can get a 6P around the £300-£350 odd mark, likely end of this year.

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Very true. I don't really need a fingerprint scanner because I always have my device in my pocket or in my hand a lot of the time. Plus I can't understand the concept of adding and extra step to use the phone. Security wise I can understand but its not a big deal to me. Yeah I'm gonna save my money. :)

Very good points!! BTW I still love my nexus 6 even if I have a mild case of phone envy when I see a 6p (it was one time in the wild)

kpluck

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
It does and it doesn't. Battery life is okayish. I still have to charge my phone after 6 hours each time.

Is charging it after 6 hours a problem? In regards to charging, since the Nexus 6 supports wireless charging, it would seem easier to keep charged in regards to the 6P.

I am curious, what changed between when you "recently" bought the Nexus 6 and now that makes you question if it is worth keeping?

-kpluck

rasmith1959

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for a couple of months now. Back in December I received a notice from Verizon that I was eligible for an upgrade, and if they had the 6P I would have gone for that, but they only had the 6. I had the Galaxy Nexus at first, then when it was time for an upgrade I gave the iPhone a try and went with a 5c. It was a good phone, just too restrictive on what one could do with it though.

Anyway, I'm back with a Nexus phone and from now on I'll only use a Nexus phone. Love having pure Android, and no bloatware!

PublicImageLtd

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I recently bought a Nexus 6 32GB White and updated it to Marshmallow 6.0.1 February 2016 update and I sometimes see the Nexus 6P as the 'better' device but will cost me more money. Should I stay with the Nexus 6?

Stick with N6, don't downgrade to a smaller phone.

rexbitz

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Why upgrade when the nexus 6 is still a beast of a phone IMO. I would wait for the next refresh. But that's just me.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
At the prices that the Nexus 6 is selling for these days, this phone is a great deal and is still a very competitive phone, I'm passing on the nexus 6p and see what Google comes out with this November.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon