I keep getting Error: device '(null)' not found when trying to load 6.0 on my Nexus 6?

A

AC Question

I keep getting Error: device '(null)' not found when trying to load 6.0 on my Nexus 6

When i go through the process on this website everything seems to be going as planned when trying to sideload Marshmallow on my Nexus 6 till the last step when i get the Error listed above. The Nexus 6 is factory unlocked running build number LYZ28M. The only reason that I am trying to sideload the update is I cant get it OTA even though it was released back in October 2015 my phone say it is up to date each time I check. I have downloaded the android studio and installed the updates, Minimal_adb_fastboot_v1.3.1, and the latest_usb_drive_windows.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: I keep getting Error: device '(null)' not found when trying to load 6.0 on my Nexus 6

Will move to Nexus 6 forums.

What carrier do you have?

Mav. :cool:

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: I keep getting Error: device '(null)' not found when trying to load 6.0 on my Nexus 6

What is the name of the file you are trying to sideload? Remember that OTAs file are specifically built to take your device from one specific build to another specific build.

If you are loading the right OTA file, try to wipe your cache partition before doing that. https://motorola-global-portal.cust...prod_answer_detail/a_id/102414/p/30,6720,9293

Kevin Jones27

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site

My current carrier is AT&T but I bought the phone used and I don't know the carrier of the previous owner.

Kevin Jones27

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site

I checked out the build number on my phone and downloaded the update what said I was for my build number. I will try the wipe cache partition when I get the chance and let you know.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

I checked out the build number on my phone and downloaded the update what said I was for my build number. I will try the wipe cache partition when I get the chance and let you know.
What was the exact filename? and where did you download it from?

Kevin Jones27

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site

24a7b275b108deb785e2633a7127474e97e91fcf.signed-shamu-MRA58K-from-LYZ28M is the file name and it was downloaded from android central

Kevin Jones27

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site

I tried wiping my cache partition and resideloading the update and still no luck. same problem "error: no devices found"

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

It almost sounds like your drivers are corrupt. Go into bootloader and see if fastboot works (try "fastboot devices" command without quotes). Or, look in device manager to see if it shows a yellow exclamation mark next to your phone.

If that's the case, you'll need to remove the corrupt drivers, and then reinstall the drivers.

Kevin Jones27

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site

I tried in the bootloader to type "fastboot device" and all i get is <wait for device>. I checked out the device manager and there is no yellow exclamation mark next to the phone but i uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it anyway. After all of that i tried the side load again with the same result as before.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

if you are not getting the serial number back (for fastboot devices), your driver is likely not installed right. (you have USB debugging enabled in dev options, right?)

What does it show up in device manager as?
Try these drivers - Google USB Driver | Android Developers (for me, the generic drivers that Windows installed, worked)

Kevin Jones27

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site

I do have USB debugging enabled and OEM unlocking. When I type "adb devices" in the fast boot command prompt it does return with a serial number that matched my device as long as my device is booted under normal boot procedures. Under device manager my device is listed as "Android device" then "Android composite ADB interface". The procedure you listed for the driver looks like the process i originally went through to get the driver.

TacoKingYo

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site

I do have USB debugging enabled and OEM unlocking. When I type "adb devices" in the fast boot command prompt it does return with a serial number that matched my device as long as my device is booted under normal boot procedures. Under device manager my device is listed as "Android device" then "Android composite ADB interface". The procedure you listed for the driver looks like the process i originally went through to get the driver.

Did you try "fastboot devices" in bootloader?
Generally, "<waiting for device...>" means that the phone is not yet in bootloader, but is instead booted into something else.
Fastboot only works in bootloader

Kevin Jones27

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site

I tried the "fastboot devices" while my phone was in bootloader and it does list my serial number and next to it, it says fastboot.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

ok - that means that your drivers are ok.
If wiping the cache partition didn't help, my guess is that your phone's system partition (or one of the other partitions) is not stock. OTA cannot be applied to a non-stock device. You'll likely have to flash the factory images. Is your bootloader unlocked? (from complete power off, right when you turn it on, do you see a lock symbol at the bottom of the screen - below the word Google?)

Kevin Jones27

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site

I do not see a lock symbol at the bottom of the screen during a normal boot up but when I boot into bootloader it does say "Device is locked. Status Code: 2". Does that still mean the device bootloader is unlocked?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

I think status code 2 means that it was locked after being unlocked. (0 is never unlocked, 3 is unlocked)
Where did you buy the phone from? Was it refurb/used? Since you got it, did you ever get (and successfully apply) any OTA?

Edit: let's take a step back. Are you still getting the "Error: device '(null)' not found" message when you try to ADB sideload? How are you trying to perform the sideload? As a refresher, here's how you do a sideload
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=59378165&postcount=3
Before this, you should have enabled USB debugging in android settings, and enable USB debugging (if prompted) when you connect your phone to your computer

Kevin Jones27

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site

I did buy the phone used from a third party so I do not know what he did with it while he owned it he did not list that he has unlocked it then relocked the phone. I have not had the phone very long so this is my first attempt at side loading an OTA. I am still getting the same Error when I try the side load. The steps that you have included are the same as the steps that I have performed and I have enableded USB debugging and enable it again on my phone when prompted at the first connection to my computer. Any further help would be appreciated or if my only option is to unlock my bootloader and load the factory image I would like to know that as well.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
When your phone is booted up, you get back your phone's serial# when you use ADB devices, but at the same time, if you try the ADB sdeload, it tells you that device not found? That's weird

Unlocking your Bootloader, and flashing factory images will almost certainly get you updated, but you shouldn't have to do that. ADB sideload works just fine. I'm confused about why ADB devices works, but ADB sideload doesn't.

Here's how to flash factory images - http://androidforums.com/threads/guide-how-to-flash-a-nexus-factory-image-manually.706533/ - in Step 3, make sure you get the latest build - not the one listed on that post

Kevin Jones27

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all the assistance I would prefer not to wipe my whole phone but it does not seem like I will get the update any other way. The phone companies and Google keep saying its coming but it was released back in October I doubt it is actually still coming. That would be the longest batch release ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze