Stock Camera App... Rage Quit!!!!

kurioskurion

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
OMG is anyone else experiencing a ridiculous amount of lag with the stock camera app? Like it will take forever to freaking load. It just hangs there forever. It's worse when trying to launch from lock screen or double tapping the power button. But it's not much better launching from app shortcut. Is it just my phone? Seems to be worse now that I'm on Marshmallow.

Anyway, fix ideas? Different camera app I could use?? I don't take a lot of pics, honestly, but I'd rather not have the impulse to nuke my phone any time I do need to snap something. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

krishnansasikumar

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes, the stock camera takes a long time to load. Nothing can be done about it.

Maybe you should try some different app like camera 360, but not sure if it opens up with lock screen and power button double tap

Nexus 6 on Android 6

danielson2047

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I've had my nexus 6 since june and I've never experienced any issues with the stock camera app. I actually like its simplicity. Have you tried the moto camera app? Its out there just google it (not sure if I'm allowed to link to other forums here).

Posted via the Android Central App

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind start up lag so much, but time to take shots is ridiculous and I quickly can't take any more after a few rapid shots. Also sometimes it appears to take a picture, but nothing is saved. It is really terrible, but nothing else compares to HDR+ shots. I use Manual Camera when I don't want HDR+ and it is great. There are a few other decent camera apps also with good manual controls all cost a couple dollars.

All that said, the image quality might be slightly improved in the newer Google camera app, though it seems to be through post processing that really bogs down the device. I wonder if the newer Nexi have hardware help with that.

kurioskurion

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughts y'all!

I'm wondering if part of the lag is location loading. I turned off the Geo tag option. Let's see of this makes a difference.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I only use the Google Camera app, and from the lockscreen either double tapping power or swiping down (EX kernel) I can be snapping pics within a second or two. Never noticed lag on the stock kernel either. I do have location turned on as well. If clearing data/cache doesn't help you may want to factory reset. It's a minor pain but it can do wonders (bad app install etc.). I did remove the camera app from the battery optimization list (settings-battery-3 dots-battery optimization). Give that a try.

wxrusss8

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't mind start up lag so much, but time to take shots is ridiculous and I quickly can't take any more after a few rapid shots. Also sometimes it appears to take a picture, but nothing is saved. It is really terrible, but nothing else compares to HDR+ shots. I use Manual Camera when I don't want HDR+ and it is great. There are a few other decent camera apps also with good manual controls all cost a couple dollars.

All that said, the image quality might be slightly improved in the newer Google camera app, though it seems to be through post processing that really bogs down the device. I wonder if the newer Nexi have hardware help with that.

Yep, I've had these exact same issues. After taking a few shots, it will lag so bad you can't take any more photos. And I've had the problem where it doesn't appear to be saving the photo, or it takes a ridiculous amount of time to save it. And if your battery is below 20%, forget it. The camera app is most of the time unusable. I've yet to find a fix other than using alternate apps, like Camera FV-5, Manual Camera and Open Camera.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I got very frustrated with the camera too. I've turned off HDR+, and it loads & shoots much faster. It's easy enough to turn it back on if I want to take a special picture, but most of the time I just need to take an ok picture quickly, and couldn't do that with HDR+ turned on. It's still not fast with HDR+ turned off, but with it on it reminded me of my ancient 3MP Fujifilm point-and-shoot camera, which my wife (who is not usually prone to outbursts) once threw because it was so slow.