It's March. Still no OTA to Marshmallow

berrygood909

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
So, I bought my Nexus 6 on Amazon back at the end of October. Had AT&T for a month. Switched to Cricket. It is March and I have not received an OTA Marshmallow update. Reset to factory settings in December and again yesterday. In December and yesterday, no updates of any kind came through.

My sister ordered her phone on Amazon a month before me and has Marshmallow. She could not tell me when she received it but she has it.

Is this normal for a nexus device?

Edited/Added
My android version is 5.1.1
My security patch level is 11-01-15.
Build = LMY48Y

Last edited:

berrygood909

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
No. Something went wrong. Best bet would be to flash the factory image for the latest update.

Thank you for replying.

I don't know to flash and don't want to learn. Kind of why I got a Nexus. Supposed to be OTA.

Also was trying to sell the Nexus so don't want any issues.

Posted via the Android Central App

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Before you factory reset the phone did you remove the sim card from the phone?

If not perform a factory reset without a sim. You'll need WiFi. It will ask you to insert a sim but just skip that. Setup the phone on wifi. I would even skip setting up your Google account. OTA should start.

berrygood909

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Before you factory reset the phone did you remove the sim card from the phone?

If not perform a factory reset without a sim. You'll need WiFi. It will ask you to insert a sim but just skip that. Setup the phone on wifi. I would even skip setting up your Google account. OTA should start.

Yes I did that, even up to bypassing setting up the Google account. Nothing.

Build = LMY48Y

Last edited:

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I had an issue similar to yours. I hoped it would help. :-( Mine had shipped with a preproduction build of Android.

Air pirate

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine had the cursed LMY48Z (ATT) build, and resetting did not help. Just before flashing (only a couple of weeks ago) the Feb security update showed up. It was the complete 6.01 Marshmallow update as well. It will show up eventually.

PublicImageLtd

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
So, I bought my Nexus 6 on Amazon back at the end of October. Had AT&T for a month. Switched to Cricket. It is March and I have not received an OTA Marshmallow update. Reset to factory settings in December and again yesterday. In December and yesterday, no updates of any kind came through.

My sister ordered her phone on Amazon a month before me and has Marshmallow. She could not tell me when she received it but she has it.

Is this normal for a nexus device?

Edited/Added
Build = LMY48Y

Got my 6.0.1 MM update in January. Weird you situation.

ljfong

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
If you can afford to factory reset, flashing factory image is just one more step beyond factory reset. Either way, you lose all your settings, apps and data and you have to restore from backups, redownload the apps. I would say screw OTA at this point.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... I'd say forget the OTA and do it yourself. It's not nearly as hard as you would think... and once you do it once, you no longer are at the mercy of the OTA process.

berrygood909

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
So I am confused. Your update came in February and you still flashed? By flash you mean you found it and downloaded it yourself? How does one do that. Thought I would never have to learn how to do that since I have a nexus 6. If this update has to be flashed will future updates pose the same problem?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So I am confused. Your update came in February and you still flashed? By flash you mean you found it and downloaded it yourself? How does one do that. Thought I would never have to learn how to do that since I have a nexus 6. If this update has to be flashed will future updates pose the same problem?

Well, you can either wait for an OTA to get pushed to your phone over the air, or you can take the bull by the horns and manually update your phone yourself. You can do this either by manually flashing the OTA file yourself (good guide can be found here). The other option is to go out and grab the full factory image from Google's site and flash that. Now, some will say that you have to completely wipe your phone to do that, but that isn't entirely true either. You can flash factory images and keep your data in tact....

Of course, there are a bunch of other options... a toolkit like Wugfresh's Nexus Root Toolkit, which is AWESOME.... or you can load a custom recovery and... well.. .OPTIONS... there's a bunch of them with a Nexus.

Why you aren't getting the OTA? I have no idea. How that all works seems to be a little bit of a mystery to be honest. Why some phones get skipped and others don't.... I know that the Nexus 6's that were obtained via a carrier purchase seem to be a bit on the wonky side. But I always handled my own updates. The only time I took an OTA on any Nexus device was when I first powered it on and there was one sitting there waiting for me.

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Being on the AT&T network, I got tried of waiting (November 2015: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...t-tired-waiting-t-installed-mra58r-my-n6.html) and took the bull by the horns.

Today, just after the latest images were released (MMB29V), I updated my Nexus 5, 6 and 7, all in less than 30 minutes. By leaving my bootloader unlocked, I'm able to flash the latest images without comprising my apps or data. Yeah, I know it's a security issue, but I'm willing to take that risk and be careful to not lose my phone. I will never again be subjected to a carrier's schedule. It's the best reason to own a Nexus.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Skip it sign up for the Android n beta.

Go big or go home!!! Heh...

In all seriousness, I really encourage anyone with a Nexus to take a little time to learn how to actively maintain things... i.e. "flash their own". Even if you do it manually, it's surprisingly easy to do... easier than it reads on Google's pages. And there are tons of good guides out there to walk you through. And if you don't want to take that route, there are some excellent toolkits... Wugfresh's NRT is one I really like as it not only will do pretty much everything you could possible want to do, it explains everything it does in a step by step fashion. Sort of like if you brought your car into the shop and the mechanic asked you to sit down next to him so he could explain everything he is doing and why he is doing it.

It's the whole "give a man a fish...." concept.

leoravus

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
OP this seems to be an exclusive issue with AT&T customers, and the reason I left ATT. Check their Nexus 6 forums.

I ended up flashing it and switching to Project Fi. Not only do I not have to worry about anything like this again, but my bill's always under $30 a month.

leoravus

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
BTW, if you started with AT&T and switched to Cricket, you'll never get the Marshmallow OTA without flashing or going back to AT&T now that they finally released it to their customers.

You now have an AT&T build on your phone. When you put their sim in it their build was downloaded. It won't get any more updates at all through another carrier without getting rid of that build or switching back to AT&T. That's why you haven't gotten any more security patches since November.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt