Question about charging my Nexus 6

ctt1wbw

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I have my phone plugged in to the back USB ports on my 5K iMac with a brand new iHome cable. Those USB ports on the back are powered enough to have charged my 6 Plus in a matter of two hours.

I just looked at the screen of my Nexus 6 and it says "charging slowly, 4 hours until full".

Is there a setting that I don't have right or something?

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about a Mac, but on a PC, USB charging is limited to 500 mAh. Regardless, you'll get much faster charging from a stock AC Quick Charge 2.0 charger.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
There is a great app called "Ampre" on the Play Store.
It is free and tells you the rate your device is charging.
On the N6, it tells you when it is "Turbo" charging.

Mav. :cool:

nunjabusiness

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
PC USB ports don't charge very fast at all.

Posted via the Android Central App

Actually, my PC has two ports that put out more than 2 Amps specifically for charging devices, even when the PC is off. Not new technology either. I built it about 2 years ago.

Last edited:

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Actually, my PC has two ports that put out more than 2 Amps specifically for charging devices, even when the PC is off. Not new technology either. I built it about 2 years ago.

That's not uncommon, but it's very far from the norm. Most USB ports put out .5a, while most smartphones want to charge at over 1a and tablets often more like 2a. If a USB port isn't labeled in some special way, I'd assume it's only good for .5a, which will technically charge the device, but very, very slowly.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Not on the Mac. I could charge my iPhone just as fast using the ports on my iMac as by using a plug in ac charger on the wall.

From https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204377
"Apple computers with USB 3 ports provide:
Up to 900 mA (milliamps) at 5 V (Volts) to most Apple USB peripherals and all USB peripherals not made by Apple in compliance with USB specifications.
To meet requests for additional power from these Apple peripherals and devices, some Apple computers and displays can provide up to 1100 mA at 5 V through the port to which the Apple peripheral or device is connected. "

So, your iPhone may charge at full speed when using the Mac. Nexus 6 wall charger can supply higher (2A) current, while your Mac will only provide up to 900mA (less than half). iPhone wall charger provides up to 1Amp (Apple - About Apple USB Power Adapters)

nunjabusiness

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of charging, I just found and cleared up a real issue that surprised me.
An app that I have used through about 3 or 4 phones and like has turned to crap.

Don't know if it is just on the Nexus or what but Clean Master has become a ridiculous USER of battery power when it claims to be saving it.
It is so overwhelmingly loaded with ads and popup messages that it was waking up my phone all night long. I would go to bed at midnight with 100% and when I wake at 6, it was down to 74% or so. That is with Wifi and Bluetooth off and CM supposedly managing battery use.
Now that I have removed it, I only lose 1 or 2% during the same period. I can't believe what a difference it makes, this thing has a great battery, I was just choking it with that crapware! :-[