Google Photos - Device folders missing?

caesar305

Jul 4, 2016
Visit site
Hello!

After the most recent update to Google Photos it seems many of my "albums" (folders) are missing from the Photos app. For example, SnapChat, Twitter, Viber, etc. are no longer available on the app and therefore can not see any photos. To make matters worse, the dialog box for sharing/sending photos also has this issue. I guess somehow the photo app or whatever was updated also affected the sharing dialog box. If I try to send a photo to someone via skype, whats app, etc. the dialog box that opens now only shows the photos in my camera, none of the other photos are available. :(

Anyone know how to fix? I downloaded Astro file manager and I can see the folders and photos. There were no .nomedia hidden files either.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Open the Google Photos app on your phone, tap the hamburger menu at top-left, tap Settings, tap Backup & sync, tap Back up device folders, enable desired folders.

caesar305

Jul 4, 2016
Visit site
Yeah tried that but the folders I am looking for are not there. I can see snapchat, viber and whats app folders in Astro File Manager but not on here in this settings menu.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
After rebooting I can see viber and twitter, but still missing whats app and snapchat.

So far as I know, it should see any folder which a) has one or more media files present and b) does not contain a file named ".nomedia" (I think that is the correct name).

Use Astro file manager to confirm the above.

caesar305

Jul 4, 2016
Visit site
Yes I used Astro, that was one of the first things I did after searching online. Snapchat and whats app is still missing. Even the downloads folder is missing now. I used to be able to save an image from a website and then go to whats app and attach it from the dialog box that opens (go to downloads album). Now they are missing. I contacted Nexus support and they told me these features were removed in the last photos update.... what?

JBoen

May 28, 2014
Visit site
If you go to the Google Photos, try to swipe right from the left edge you should see device folders. From there you will see all your photos, now you can check whether it is synced or not from the cloud icon on the right hand side of the folder. Probably you didnt turn the cloud sync on.

Mike Dwyer1

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I have fixed this problem! I've had the same issue for over a year and never found any help other than people saying to make sure the folder was marked as sync in Google Photos. Several of the albums I had created simply did not appear. I wish I could explain why the problem occurred in the first place (still haven't figured that out) but the solution is fairly simple...

- Plug your phone into a PC via USB cord and open up the phone on the PC.

- There are two folders you want to check out. The first is Pictures. This will show all of the albums that should also be appearing in Google Photos. If necessary, make a note of these.

- Back out of this folder and open the folder called DCIM. Within this you will see the rest of your albums which are not showing up in Google Photos.

- This step has some risk of accidental deletion so be careful... Select the albums that you need to see in Google Photos and right-click, Cut. *DO NOT SELECT THE CAMERA ALBUM*

- Go back to the Pictures folder on your phone and paste the Cut albums there.

- When this is complete, unplug your phone and check Google Photos. The albums should all be there now.

Hope this helps.

2015CamAUS

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Finally someone found the answer. All the other responses seem to be overlooking the issue that we cannot see the folders in the list. The solutions keep saying to select them ... but we cant see them! Thanks your simple solution works well. IE Google photos cant see DCIM folders (apart from camera). It can only see folders with photos outside DCIM. So cut and paste them all to Pictures works fine. Would be a nice bug for Google to fix.

zcs72

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I found another solution. Though it may not apply to you. I found that several folders I'd created were automatically put in DCIM/extra. Used ES Explorer to move them to the Pictures folder and... They now show in Google Photos. No idea why they were in the "extra" folder to begin with.

JoniEsq

Dec 9, 2017
Visit site
I don't have a "Pictures" folder, but moving folders from DCIM to the top level directory on my SD card enabled Google Photos to see them. I was missing a year of my camera photos, at first, but updating the app fixed that. Moving the folders fixed being able to see them. And BTW, I did this on the phone in MyFiles app that came with the Galaxy S7, and not my PC. It was only seeing the camera folder for some reason, as a sub-folder.

niloferislam

Aug 18, 2018
Visit site
Thanks a ton!! my pics were in DCIM folder I moved them in Pictures folder and it works :)

I have fixed this problem! I've had the same issue for over a year and never found any help other than people saying to make sure the folder was marked as sync in Google Photos. Several of the albums I had created simply did not appear. I wish I could explain why the problem occurred in the first place (still haven't figured that out) but the solution is fairly simple...

- Plug your phone into a PC via USB cord and open up the phone on the PC.

- There are two folders you want to check out. The first is Pictures. This will show all of the albums that should also be appearing in Google Photos. If necessary, make a note of these.

- Back out of this folder and open the folder called DCIM. Within this you will see the rest of your albums which are not showing up in Google Photos.

- This step has some risk of accidental deletion so be careful... Select the albums that you need to see in Google Photos and right-click, Cut. *DO NOT SELECT THE CAMERA ALBUM*

- Go back to the Pictures folder on your phone and paste the Cut albums there.

- When this is complete, unplug your phone and check Google Photos. The albums should all be there now.

Hope this helps.

petri71

Nov 28, 2018
Visit site
I have the same problems except the content of the albums is being synched but not the album itself... meaning I can see the pictures in the photo stream but not in the album list.... why is that ?

i4004

May 30, 2020
Visit site
Just go to the folder using a good file manager, create a file called .nomedia and then delete it.

or just delete .nomedia file from folders that are not indexing in google photos?
for example whatsapp folders here....
they were in root and few folders, only when i removed them all, it started to index these folders....

Screenshot_2020-05-30-16-01-09.pngScreenshot_2020-05-30-16-04-13.png1_2020-05-30_175205.png