The delay is over: Android 7.1.1 for Nexus 6 coming Jan 2017.

udnh

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6 to 7.1.1

I don't think he update is available yet for the nexus 6. The system image is not up yet on Google's developer webpage.

krishnansasikumar

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site

The system image for 7.0 is available. You can sideload that. I'm enjoying that at the moment.

I don't think 7.1.1 will come to Nexus 6. Custom ROMs can provide that if you want it.

7.0 is very good on my rooted phone, so currently I don't see a need for ROMs, though I did try a few out.

bleached

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Google already said the 7.1.1 update is coming. The Nexus 6 was listed when they announced it. It just isn't available yet.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

Google already said the 7.1.1 update is coming. The Nexus 6 was listed when they announced it. It just isn't available yet.
Very True!

I have seen that statement in several Android Tech articles, and also several of my friends have mentioned that to me also.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site

I bet that the problems like the 6P shutoff are the reason Google is none too quick to update phones as of late. Heck, they just balked at fixing the Pixel audio issue! That's a new phone!!

It's pretty obvious now that they'd rather not fix corner case issues (especially on older phones) and the fewer updated handsets the better the chances they'll be able to leave things broken.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

I bet that the problems like the 6P shutoff are the reason Google is none too quick to update phones as of late.
At least they're finding out what it's like being the OEM of record instead of the misguided, hapless customer of a thoughtless manufacturer. They also seem to be having a tough time realizing that their new customer base isn't about to root and mod a phone to work around any lame software/hardware decisions they may have made.

If Google hadn't killed off the Nexus line, I might've been able to work up a shred of sympathy for them. But I'm tapped.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site

At least they're finding out what it's like being the OEM of record instead of the misguided, hapless customer of a thoughtless manufacturer. They also seem to be having a tough time realizing that their new customer base isn't about to root and mod a phone to work around any lame software/hardware decisions they may have made.

If Google hadn't killed off the Nexus line, I might've been able to work up a shred of sympathy for them. But I'm tapped.
Oh, I have zero sympathy too. If they'll give us a beta, it makes no sense to hold back the final (unless the final is completely unready).

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
And Nexus 6 devices on the VZW network will probably get this in December of 2017!
Yeah, but I wouldn't expect to see it as an OTA from any carrier until mid-February--unless Sprint just gives it a pro forma looksee and okays it. Most of them--like the hot pink mess I deal with--don't even appear to be pushing out the Nougat security updates for the N6.

Still, I appreciate the confirmation that a full factory image will be available soon.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully Lineage OS, the replacement for CyanogenMod, gets it all together to continue nightlies.
I am running the CM 14.1 12/25 nightly and it is stable to be able to wait.
I thought about reverting to stock for the official 7.1.1 update but I will probably just keep what I got.
I have the Pixel Android Assistant working on mine so that is a plus.

Mav.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Glad it's getting the update too :)

Still in 2 minds whether to get another N6P though TBH

I love the N6, but mines starting to become a little laggy and the battery isn't as good as it used to be and I'm not a power-user either!

The only 'plus' for getting an N6P for me, is the fingerprint sensor and the aluminium body really... For what I use my mobiles for, the 'newer' internals on the N6P won't give me any extra over my N6 IMO!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae