Is this phone still relevant?

ddiehl

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been wanting to try a Nexus phone for quite some time, and can't afford a Pixel and was wondering if this phone still holds it's own after being out for a year.. They are currently selling brand new on Ebay for around 250/300.00 which is more afordable..

Are most of you still happy with it today?

Thanks..

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The 6 is still a great phone, but I wouldn't get too hung up over getting one 'new' on Ebay as it won't be coming with a warranty unless from an authorized dealer. The only real benefit of 'new' other than assuring it's in new condition is that the battery won't have any wear (though after 2 years of pretty heavy use, mine was still managing most of a day with no real issues (Doze really does extend the life!)). If that's something you could live with, you should also look at the 6P, which can be had in the same range (or less) on Ebay, has slightly updated hardware and features, and will get another major OS update.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I recommend 6P over 6. Much better camera, screen, build, and not to mention finger print scanner. Also, remember, 6P will get Android O in 2017, Nexus 6 will not.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
IMO, any of the Nexus phones can still be relevant today. If you want the 6, go for it! I've heard great things about it!

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I recommend 6P over 6. Much better camera, screen, build, and not to mention finger print scanner. Also, remember, 6P will get Android O in 2017, Nexus 6 will not.
I'd actually give the N6 the edge over the 6p for build quality. The N6 feels more durable.

guitardoc64

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm still happy with mine. I really haven't seen its equivalent in the newer phones. The 6P was close, but I really like the wireless charging. Thanks to devs there are great ROMs to choose from. For now and the foreseeable future I'm good.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
IMO the 6 is still one of the best handsets out there, the 6P is great, but if you're not a massive picture taker, like myself, or bothered about a fingerprint scanner, then it's not really that different!

The 6 is well built, a great screen and the best size IMO; I find the 6P a little small in my hands compared to the 6, but that's the difference in build design rather than all out length etc

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm still hanging onto my N6 and love it 2+ plus years later. Mine's starting to show its age though, especially in the battery, which is getting worse by the week it seems.

If it were to take a dump today, I'd love to say I'll go find another one, but at this point I dunno. I'm not a rooter anymore, and this phone won't be getting many (if any) more official software updates or fixes.

Problem is, there doesn't seem to be another good device out there for me to go to...Vanilla Android, huge AMOLED screen, top tier internals.

Still got to hold out, thus the need to keep holding onto my N6.

DrLouie

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I was using mine up until a couple of months ago when I cracked the screen. I switched to the 6P. I would probably still be using the 6 if I hadn't broke the screen, but I will admit that it didn't take long to get used to having a fingerprint reader.

B frizzle

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I honestly can't find anything to replace it with. Battery, screen, stereo speakers, fast charge, loads of great ROM availability. There are a few downfalls, cameras in newer phones are better, however that depends on the user. I can take better pics on my nexus 6 than my wife can take with her pixel, but the pixels camera is much better. The lack of SD is a problem for some, I've managed but my google drive is full so it may pose a problem in the future. The only worry I warn to watch for is that cell tech makes big leaps at times and if even swinging for a $300 phone is a stretch you may want to rethink and swing towards a lower end phone. There are quite a few decent low end phones on prepaid and no contract for 150-200 out there.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I honestly can't find anything to replace it with. Battery, screen, stereo speakers, fast charge, loads of great ROM availability. There are a few downfalls, cameras in newer phones are better, however that depends on the user. I can take better pics on my nexus 6 than my wife can take with her pixel, but the pixels camera is much better. The lack of SD is a problem for some, I've managed but my google drive is full so it may pose a problem in the future. The only worry I warn to watch for is that cell tech makes big leaps at times and if even swinging for a $300 phone is a stretch you may want to rethink and swing towards a lower end phone. There are quite a few decent low end phones on prepaid and no contract for 150-200 out there.

Thank you for the review! Glad you are enjoying your 6! :)

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm still hanging onto my N6 and love it 2+ plus years later. Mine's starting to show its age though, especially in the battery, which is getting worse by the week it seems.

If it were to take a dump today, I'd love to say I'll go find another one, but at this point I dunno. I'm not a rooter anymore, and this phone won't be getting many (if any) more official software updates or fixes.

Problem is, there doesn't seem to be another good device out there for me to go to...Vanilla Android, huge AMOLED screen, top tier internals.

Still got to hold out, thus the need to keep holding onto my N6.

Same here. Still have mine for over 2 years and counting. But unfortunately, its now showing its age. The battery life is getting weaker. And its really starting to lag alot lately. I would have upgraded to the Pixels if they weren't so plain looking and small. They are not worthy to replace my beloved Nexus 6. I may do the unthinkable and go the Samsung route. I need that big amoled screen.