OTG USB Frustrations

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok I'm rooted running a stock rom. I can't get OTG usb to work with my 64gb flash drive. I have stickmount and a couple other similar programs installed. The drive works great on my GS3. Pulls right up without being rooted. I've tried 3 different file explorers and none of them can find the drive. This same drive also works great in my Pioneer head unit so I know it's not a bad drive.

What size thumbdrives has everyone tried and worked? I'm disappointed in the fact that you have to root to even gain access to the OTG usb. My GS3 out of the box does a alot better job. I figured with this device having all the latest and greatest it could at least do this simple function.

dparrothead1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I received my OTG cable yesterday. I was using an old 8gb in my car for music so I tried that one. Worked fine. I have 2 16gb Sandisc coming and will let you know how they work.

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I received my OTG cable yesterday. I was using an old 8gb in my car for music so I tried that one. Worked fine. I have 2 16gb Sandisc coming and will let you know how they work.

I wonder if it's the size that's too much for it? I was thinking of picking up smaller one anyways so maybe I'll try a 16 or 32gb.

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok I broke down and bought a 32gb thumb drive at bestbuy. PNY brand. It was on sale for $19.99 so I thought why not! Works great with my Nexus 7. Either the Nexus won't support 64gb flash drives or it just didn't like my particular drive. Either way it's up and running now. Awesome. My storage just went from 16gb to 48 gb!

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

How does the tablet have enough power to support that big of a hard drive? Or does it have its own power source?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

I don't believe you are using that drive without a powered USB HUB because that drive is entirely powered by USB and the Nexus7 does not supply that much power.

ExTheGod

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I need to root my N7 I've just been lazy. Luckily I read this Cruz was thinking of copping a 64GB but won't just yet. 32 should be sufficient anyways

stoked_pitted

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone had luck with mounting a phone with a SD card? Nexus 7 is rooted, phone is not.

Stickmount says it mounts it as SDA and SDB but I haven't had any luck transfering files into these folders and having it show up on the phone.

/j

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had luck with mounting a phone with a SD card? Nexus 7 is rooted, phone is not.

Stickmount says it mounts it as SDA and SDB but I haven't had any luck transfering files into these folders and having it show up on the phone.

/j

I tried with my GS3 but could not find the storage in ES file explorer.

oldpueblo

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site

The shipping cost on that one is crazy, are most OTG cables the same? Found a free shipping one with Prime for .81 cents from Hong Kong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance