12 volt charger

bjadams44

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone seen a car charger that will work on the N7? I thought the one for my Samsung phone might work as the adapter fits but I don't want to fry my new toy. The output on the Samsung charger is 5.0v or 700ma.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
You can't count on just any 12v charger with a micro-USB plug working, even if it's a 2.1A output. I've tried a few, and finally found this 2.1A 12v charger by Rocketfish, which works great and matches the OEM charger in charging speed.

*Note - it has an auxilliary USB port for connecting another device (e.g., phone), but the total output for the charger is 2.1A, meaning that if you connect another device to it you do drop the amperage output to the Nexus 7 (I haven't tried it, so don't know what sort of impact it would have on the tablet's charging speed).

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone seen a car charger that will work on the N7? I thought the one for my Samsung phone might work as the adapter fits but I don't want to fry my new toy. The output on the Samsung charger is 5.0v or 700ma.

It's not 5v or 700ma, it's 5v and 700ma, they're two different measures. It may work, but at 700ma, it's going to charge very slowly since the stock N7 charger is 2a (2000ma).

Since the N7 is a bit finicky about chargers, and I don't have any personal experience with them, I can't recommend any. One option that would definitely work, and be potentially very handy, is to pick up an inverter, which gives you a regular wall-style outlet that you can plug your stock charger into. Downside is the extra space it takes up, and maybe cost.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes I've found that the N7 can be finicky. Never had a problem but recently on a camping trip even the ASUS wall charger wasn't working. Bought one in town at Wally World that was 5v 2.1amp but didn't work. Got one with same specs at VZ that did. Go figure.

Rootbrain