$6 DIY Nexus 7 Hardback Case

schaefferdawg

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I made my own version of the Nexus 7 Dodocase with $6 of materials. Here's all you need.

Materials
1. Hardback book, approximate size ($2 @ Goodwill)
2. 3/8" Braided Elastic ($2)
3. Velcro adhesive tabs ($2)
4. Cannibalized 3-ring binder, or similar strength cardboard to reinforce the book spine

Tools
1. Power drill
2. Craft glue
3. Box cutter/razorblade

In a nutshell,
1. I razored out the book's pages
2. I cut out a strip of binder board and glued it to the inside of the spine to reinforce it. Leave a millimeter of space on each side of the board to allow book to close.
3. I cut and glued a piece from the front/back page covers to cover the spine and make the inside look uniform. You'll want to tuck this into the millimeter spaces you created, in order to allow enough slack to fold the book cover back while device is in use.
4. Drill two holes for elastic cover strap, about 2 inches from the top and bottom of the case. Use drill bit to push length of elastic through the holes. Tie knots in the ends to keep them secure.
5. Drill one hole for stylus loop if desired. Push elastic through and tie knot to secure.
6. Attach Velcro pieces to each other before affixing to device. Place four Velcro tabs on back of Nexus, spaced out for maximum security. I preferred to put the soft fuzzy tab-half on the device, as opposed to the rough tab-half.
7. With the tabs on the device, center with book cover and affix it.

Done! Enjoy!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Good job. That's pretty cool. Nice thing is you can choose whatever cover you want. I'm diggin it!

FissionMailed from N7

schaefferdawg

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
30 day update: I tried removing the Velcro tabs from the back of the Nexus today. It came off quite easily with no mark, residue or damage. Has anyone else tried making their own case?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Not quite "made my own" but I modified a Caselogic LNEO-7 (tannin color) case to perform a sleep/wake function, took about 15 minutes of work. See how, in my video review on Amazon.

scoparli

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I bought a case that has adhesive and I didn't want it on my nexus 7 so I just bought a TPU Rubber case and put it on then put adhered it to the other case. Def going to try this out too!

Indigoquilter

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I bought a case that has adhesive and I didn't want it on my nexus 7 so I just bought a TPU Rubber case and put it on then put adhered it to the other case. Def going to try this out too!

Oh good, so that works? I'm planning to do that with my silicone gel skin once my keyboard case arrives, using some stick-on velcro. I tried keeping the gel skin on the case but couldn't stand all the extra dust, not to mention the bulk and awkwardness getting to the buttons, so I think the gel case will live inside the keyboard case, which I hear doesn't fit tightly enough anyway so will probably be improved by the extra layer.