Docking Station?

undertow82

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Are there any clues yet as to what the 4 pins are going to be used for? A docking station maybe? A keyboard? Speakers? I'd love a speaker charging station. Also, would Google sell it via the Play Store? Lots of questions I know, but I'm dying for a docking station.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Those pins are for a vaporware dock that was supposed to be released months ago... Don't think anything will ever be released for this device that's Asus/Google-made. :mad:

Thank God for 3rd party accessory makers or we'd be seriously screwed. :banghead:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

MaddSkillz

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering what those things were! I'm getting a BT keyboard so not sure why I'd need a dock.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering what those things were! I'm getting a BT keyboard so not sure why I'd need a dock.

A dock would prop up the tablet and charge while you're using it. I use a dock on my nightstand for my phone that I love. I've ordered a Portenzo case that will hold the tablet up. If I get a BT keyboard, I'll have a nice little, ultra-portable typing/note taking system.

MaddSkillz

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I've got the Logitech keyboard coming and it has a stand for the tablet. We'll see how that works out.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Those pins are for a vaporware dock that was supposed to be released months ago... Don't think anything will ever be released for this device that's Asus/Google-made. :mad:

Thank God for 3rd party accessory makers or we'd be seriously screwed. :banghead:

The dock was supposed to be released last month, not "months ago". The N7 has only been out for 3 months (almost exactly). I too am disappointed by the dock not being out yet, but lets not get overly dramatic over an accessory.

seriyb

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I also think it's ridiculous that we still don't have an Asus dock.
3 months is acceptable? What is unacceptable then? It's a freaking piece of plastic with a charger cable. Clearly they aren't making it yet because not everyone will be buying it (tiny market share). But this is not an excuse. You must respect your customer.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

brett328

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Really doesnt add up. Makes me wonder if the software needs an update to enable the charging pins on the side. What else could explain the delay from not only ASUS, but all other 3rd party manufacturers? With millions sold and millions more to be sold, there can be little explanation for the lack of a charging dock. This is not a sophisticated device, plastic injection molded piece of hardware with an integrated power cord.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
As someone pointed out in another thread, the N7 didn't support a landscape mode homescreen until, what, less than 2 weeks ago? So selling a landscape dock for a tablet that doesn't completely support landscape mode might've been an issue, and might be why we haven't seen it yet. Part of me is thinking maybe they'll show it monday, though I'm not holding my breath.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
As someone pointed out in another thread, the N7 didn't support a landscape mode homescreen until, what, less than 2 weeks ago? So selling a landscape dock for a tablet that doesn't completely support landscape mode might've been an issue, and might be why we haven't seen it yet. Part of me is thinking maybe they'll show it monday, though I'm not holding my breath.
The Clock app will rotate. MY HTC phone has a "Dock mode" app that shows clock, separate background, music, etc. and rotates. Pretty lame, actually.

How do we know that these aren't meant to work in an as-yet unannounced car dock? ;)

Knuckle9

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I love my Nexus 7, but I do wish there were more accessories for it. I would really like a decent sounding charging/speaker dock. I will continue to try and be patient but I hope we don't have to wait too much longer.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
The lack of Nexus accessories is just unacceptable! :thumbdown:

This is my major "gripe" with the Nexus line. Go to any store and you can find something for an iProduct. It kills me that they create a device with so much potential and hamstring it with no accessories. I guess they think that an entirely open system is enough to appease the masses.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
This is my major "gripe" with the Nexus line. Go to any store and you can find something for an iProduct. It kills me that they create a device with so much potential and hamstring it with no accessories. I guess they think that an entirely open system is enough to appease the masses.

It's an issue of sales volume and connector standards. iStuff is made to use the same connector, which is designed with accessories in mind, for multiple generations of products that sell at higher volumes than other devices. So as accessory manufacturers are looking at making stuff, they are considering how many they can sell.

As of August:
Apple, meanwhile, has sold a total of 85 million iPhones in the U.S. since 2007 launch and 34 million iPads since 2010.

From what I can find, about 3 million Nexus 7s have been sold. So comparatively, the market for iStuff accessories is HUGE. On top of that, because Android devices don't have a standard for docks, accessories are only relevant as long as the device they are specifically for is relevant. For tablets, that's what... 9 months? A year? Meanwhile iStuff docks have changed only once since launch that I'm aware of, and you can still use a lot of older accessories with an adapter.

I too would like more accessories, but you can't expect anywhere near the same variety as is available for iStuff unless a standard is created for Android devices, which I don't see happening.

Maturola

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Are there any clues yet as to what the 4 pins are going to be used for? A docking station maybe? A keyboard? Speakers? I'd love a speaker charging station. Also, would Google sell it via the Play Store? Lots of questions I know, but I'm dying for a docking station.

Those Pogo PINs are Power, Ground and USB Audio.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21