Best Foldable/Mini Bluetooth Keyboard?

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a $10 keyboard case, which works fine except that the micro USB to USB cable is shoddy, and sometimes disconnects the keyboard. Which wouldn't normally be an issue, but the latest Evernote is a glitchy, crash-prone hot mess of failure, and I don't think the USB is helping. I can't tell you how many paragraphs of notes I lost because they got rid of the manual save in Evernote :(.

I like things as slim, compact, and small as possible. I know people rave about this Logitech keyboard, but it's likely too big to fit comfortably in my messenger bag (I don't need the bulk of a backpack). I can type perfectly fine on a 8"x3" keyboard, but anything smaller wouldn't be efficient. I've seen a few foldable keyboards on ebay, but they're brandless and I don't know if I should trust them to work well.

Double-folding keyboards would be amazing--I keep seeing great ones for long-gone PDA devices, but no one has made a decent, affordable bluetooth alternative. Jorno is bulkier than this, and has been in limbo for years. All others seem to be discontinued, which is an incredible pity. They wouldn't be too expensive to manufacture, unless you're absolutely starting from scratch without a company.

So, can anyone vouch for those foldable keyboards, like the ones you see on ebay? Anything else you'd recommend? Recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks!

dnightangel

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
You should check out the "vostrostone" or similar Bluetooth keyboard topic. I was seeking something like you too and this looked to be the best option. Ordered mine but won't come until a couple of weeks. Hope this helps

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, let me know how you like it. I was considering that one too, but I figured I had enough cases and wasn't sure how secure it was.

I ended up getting this foldable keyboard: Amazon.com: Perixx PERIBOARD-805, Bluetooth Folding Keyboard - Wireless Bluetooth 3.0 Technology - Up to 30 Ft Operating Range - Black Foldable Design - 5.70"x3.58"x0.63" Pocket Size - Compatible with iOS, Android, and Windows - Silent X Type Scissor
had pretty decent reviews, but it doesn't seem like it has a lock to keep it open--you'd only be able to use it on a sturdy, flat surface. But I never write with my tablet on my lap, so it's no biggie :p

DogPsyche

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I bought one of those cheap generic foldable bluetooth keyboards from Ebay for 8 quid and it works just fine.

~Jaqi~
Sent from my lovely Nexus 7

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious as to how well the folding keyboard works for you.

Works great so far! I have a more lengthy review here on Amazon. It's a little over 1/2" thick/5.6" wide when folded--very slim. Though, it does look/feel cheap. There is a generic version on Ebay, which comes with a tablet stand--I was kind of hoping for one so I could just use my TPU case, but no matter.

Most of the alphanumeric keys are 1/2" wide, with .16" spacing in between--not at all cramped for me.

//on a side note.. I'm so annoyed with Amazon's fluctuating prices lol. I need to get in the habit of buying something instantaneously if I want it. this thing went from $29 to $35 in barely over a day; I saw another item in my cart jump from $11 to $18.

(pardon the ghetto pic, I was too lazy to pull out my slr; it's almost the same size as my 13" laptop's keyboard)

Attachments

• 1115121834.jpg
    1115121834.jpg
    738.6 KB · Views: 75

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm using a Dell Executive Bluetooth keyboard, full-size keys, folds in half, made by Think Outside / Stowaway. Originally had one for my old Dell Axim PDA, and this keyboard is SOLID. Can be easily used on one's lap and the little stand supports the N7 in landscape mode. One of the few electronic devices I know of that still retains half its value 10 years later on eBay!

I've been using it with my Nexus 7 (typing on it right now) for several days and I've only noticed one glitch: When I am browsing the web (in ANY browser, I've tried them all), the keyboard will inadvertently time out at some point (it is a power-saving feature), which causes the web browser to RELOAD. It's a bit annoying, so just wondered if anyone had any ideas of how to fix this? In any other app, Gmail, etc, I have not noticed this problem.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Tried other browsers ? There is no shortage and they all pretty much work the same these days and import each others bookmarks n such....

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Tried other browsers ? There is no shortage and they all pretty much work the same these days and import each others bookmarks n such....

As I wrote, this happens in "ANY browser, I've tried them all". I think it may just be a bug with Android, when the keyboard turns off, it causes this reload behavior to occur. My theory is that most people don't have this problem because their bluetooth keyboards don't turn off by themselves after 3 minutes to conserve battery. I wish I had a simple on/off switch on this keyboard, but this was the way it was designed. Otherwise a great keyboard!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I would hope so at $135...one guy had it at 245 and another at 300 ...wonder whats going on there ?

What's going on is that keyboard is no longer manufactured, but still considered to be the best foldable Bluetooth option at this time. It can be acquired on eBay second-hand for $50-$60.

Like I mentioned though, only caveat I've found with this keyboard is that it goes to sleep after 3min of inactivity, causing web browsers to reload. Otherwise works perfect for a quick email or to typing a document.

Sent from my Incredible 4G using Tapatalk 2

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
What's going on is that keyboard is no longer manufactured, but still considered to be the best foldable Bluetooth option at this time. It can be acquired on eBay second-hand for $50-$60.

Love the design, especially the built-in stand, but it still goes for about $80 on ebay--I was looking at it before I got mine, and I figured it wasn't worth the extra $50. The best ones I've seen were infrared back when those palm pilots were all the rage. Strange that mini folding keyboards haven't made a resurgence, what with all the phablets and small tablets. With a larger tablet I can understand wanting a built-in cover/touch keyboard, but a large smartphone or 7" tablet is the sweet spot for a portable keyboard.

Just another pic of the one I got:
61lOkSxPRhL.jpg

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I also bought the Logitech keyboard - last Logitech thing I ever buy. The 1st one had skipping and runaway keypunch issues that drove me crazy. To Logitech's credit their support was excellent and they sent me a replacement. However, they were 'all out of' Android versions so they sent me an iPad replacement. Not ideal but workable. That keyboard lasted ~2 months and just stopped working last night. I will not spend anymore time (or money) on Logitech and am looking AGAIN for a replacement keyboard.

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info, looks worth a try. Android users beware of another folding keyboard by Elecom Foldable Bluetooth Keyboard (as of when I got it which was like within this year) it said it supports Android but some android hotkeys are missing and the F keys seem to do nothing and there's no backspace key, it's the delete key only and so to delete you need to move in front of the character.

ibietela

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a $10 keyboard case, which works fine except that the micro USB to USB cable is shoddy, and sometimes disconnects the keyboard. Which wouldn't normally be an issue, but the latest Evernote is a glitchy, crash-prone hot mess of failure, and I don't think the USB is helping. I can't tell you how many paragraphs of notes I lost because they got rid of the manual save in Evernote :(.

I like things as slim, compact, and small as possible. I know people rave about this Logitech keyboard, but it's likely too big to fit comfortably in my messenger bag (I don't need the bulk of a backpack). I can type perfectly fine on a 8"x3" keyboard, but anything smaller wouldn't be efficient. I've seen a few foldable keyboards on ebay, but they're brandless and I don't know if I should trust them to work well.

Double-folding keyboards would be amazing--I keep seeing great ones for long-gone PDA devices, but no one has made a decent, affordable bluetooth alternative. Jorno is bulkier than this, and has been in limbo for years. All others seem to be discontinued, which is an incredible pity. They wouldn't be too expensive to manufacture, unless you're absolutely starting from scratch without a company.

So, can anyone vouch for those foldable keyboards, like the ones you see on ebay? Anything else you'd recommend? Recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks!

Hello ;

Please where did you purchase your keyboard? Any online shop

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello ;

Please where did you purchase your keyboard? Any online shop

I bought this generic keyboard case. The keyboard is just too tiny for practical use; you might as well get a handwriting app like Stylus Beta (currently in Beta mode, so it's free). You have to modify the case for it to fit comfortably, and you also need to buy a microUSB adapter plug.

I went ahead and bought this folding bluetooth keyboard, which I've been using ever since with my Nexus 7 (granted, I don't use the setup very often). If you want a keyboard, get a full-sized keyboard; a tiny 7" keyboard will drastically reduce your typing speed, and increase errors.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante