[GUIDE][MAC/PC/LINUX][4.2] Unlock, Root and Flash Recovery

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE][MAC][PC][LINUX] How to Unlock, Root and Flash Recover

What version of windows?

Can you reboot into boot loader manually?

Try that and see if fastboot or adb sees the phone when you enter the cmd prompt commands.

nordor

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site

What version of windows?

Can you reboot into boot loader manually?

Try that and see if fastboot or adb sees the phone when you enter the cmd prompt commands.

I've got windows 7. I can boot my Nexus manually into the bootloader.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

I've got windows 7. I can boot my Nexus manually into the bootloader.

So, where are you getting hung up exactly?
Once you're in boot loader mode, and you enter the commands, what's it say in the cmd window?

nordor

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site

So, where are you getting hung up exactly?
Once you're in boot loader mode, and you enter the commands, what's it say in the cmd window?

I'm at work now. I tried last night but I got hung up in toolbox when it tried to restart my nexus. Before I went to bed I tried to start manually into bootloader mode. I didn't have time to enter any commands though.

What should I do when I get back home in a few hrs? Should I follow a guide with adb commands, or is it possible that toolbox will be able to control the device if I enter the bootloader manually?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

I'm at work now. I tried last night but I got hung up in toolbox when it tried to restart my nexus. Before I went to bed I tried to start manually into bootloader mode. I didn't have time to enter any commands though.

What should I do when I get back home in a few hrs? Should I follow a guide with adb commands, or is it possible that toolbox will be able to control the device if I enter the bootloader manually?

Toolbox might work I'm not sure, never used it.
If it doesn't work, I would try following these directions or follow ragnaroxs great video tutorial in the stickies

InclusionInnovates

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE][MAC][PC][LINUX] How to Unlock, Root and Flash Recovery

Please excuse ... I am trying this because my Nexus 7 was shipped with a software problem and I am hoping unlocking and rooting it and flashing a ROM may make it work. I have reached the point where the Nexus 7 is successfully unlocked.

However, when I attempt to reboot it, I get the following:

Kevins-MacBook-Air:r3-nexus7-superboot kevin$ fastboot-mac reboot
-bash: fastboot-mac: command not found

So, I went ahead and entered the root commands, and I received the following:

Kevins-MacBook-Air:r3-nexus7-superboot kevin$ chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh ./install-superboot-mac.sh
Kevins-MacBook-Air:r3-nexus7-superboot kevin$

Am I unlocked and unrooted? And if I am, from the “fastboot” mode do I:

1. Volume Down to Restart Bootloader / Press Power to cd ./fastboot-mac flash to install the CUSTOM RECOVERY .IMG file I downloaded and placed with the r3-nexus7-superboot folder on my desktop
2. Press Power to Start / Reboot and Download ROM Manager,
3. Volume Down to Restart Bootloader / Press Power to Reboot and Download ROM Manager
4. Volume Down to Recovery Mode / Press Power to Reboot and Download ROM Manager
5. Volume Down to Power off / Press Power On and Download ROM Manager

Last edited:

InclusionInnovates

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site

Okay ... I believe I have unlocked, rooted and flashed CWM Recovery ... now to get the Nexus 7 Rom / Gapps and Flash

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

A manual reboot with the power button usually will get that to work. Glad you got it going anyhow!

InclusionInnovates

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site

A manual reboot with the power button usually will get that to work. Glad you got it going anyhow!

Thank you!

Cwm is in rom manager

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

Thank you!

Have flashed XenonHD

I used the instructions within this thread to get me Unlocked ...

However, the instructions to get me rooted did not work, I use the instructions / tool from the XDA Developers for the Root and to flash CWM Recovery.

However, while the script rooted the phone and installed CWM Recovery, it could not find, or flash CWM-SuperSU-v0.94, so I had to copy the file to my tablet and flash CWM-SuperSU-v0.94 manually.

However, while I now have a great ROM on my Nexus 7, I realize the screen touch issues have nothing to do with the ROM - because those probblems have not gone away :( .. Oh, well, a great learning experience! :)

Last edited:

denged5460

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How to Unlock and Root the Nexus 7

I have managed to unlock bootloader ,Root and CWM on my Nexus7 with Paul O'Brian's superboot.
Everything went OK but when I tried to flash stock 4.1.1 recovery as instructed it fails to return me to stock image.
Loads Ok in the program at CMD prompt but when I reboot Nexus there is no factory image.
Any suggestions please.

InclusionInnovates

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site

You may need to copy the image to phone and then flash it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

I have managed to unlock bootloader ,Root and CWM on my Nexus7 with Paul O'Brian's superboot.
Everything went OK but when I tried to flash stock 4.1.1 recovery as instructed it fails to return me to stock image.
Loads Ok in the program at CMD prompt but when I reboot Nexus there is no factory image.
Any suggestions please.

What do ya mean?
You can't access stock recovery the same way you can cwm etc.

What do you see when. You try to get in recovery?

denged5460

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for your response.I am up and running now - just had to get my head around it.

---------- Post Merged at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:45 PM ----------

Thanks for your response

twk99

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

Great guide, thanks!

I'm going to unlock and root my Nexus 7 when I recieve it later today. I want to use rooted stock firmware on it. Should I also install custom recovery?

If I don't then I can update OTA and root it in the same way as the first time, right?

If I install custom recovery then I can flash the new firmware when it comes out, pre-rooted or root it myself using this method.

What option is the best?

I hope that you understand what I mean, I'm not a native english speaker. Thanks in advance!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Great guide, thanks!

I'm going to unlock and root my Nexus 7 when I recieve it later today. I want to use rooted stock firmware on it. Should I also install custom recovery?

If I don't then I can update OTA and root it in the same way as the first time, right?

If I install custom recovery then I can flash the new firmware when it comes out, pre-rooted or root it myself using this method.

What option is the best?

I hope that you understand what I mean, I'm not a native english speaker. Thanks in advance!

This process won't permanently flash a custom recovery unless you delete or rename the file "recovery-from-boot.p" from your /system folder. Just don't do that and you can root while keeping the stock recovery, and receive OTAs normally. You can also install OTA Rootkeeper free from the Play Store before you get an OTA to help you keep root through the OTA process.
:)

twk99

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

This process won't permanently flash a custom recovery unless you delete or rename the file "recovery-from-boot.p" from your /system folder. Just don't do that and you can root while keeping the stock recovery, and receive OTAs normally. You can also install OTA Rootkeeper free from the Play Store before you get an OTA to help you keep root through the OTA process.
:)

Thanks for your answer!

My Nexus 7 is now unlocked and rooted, no custom recovery. I will keep it like that and use Rootkeeper when updating OTA :)

bophead

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

Best explanation of returning to stock I have found and I have looked a lot. Thank you

xSpiral

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

I was able to unlock the bootloader but when I try to root it doesn't seem to work... Does this work for 4.1.2? using windows7 and the r3 superboot

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I was able to unlock the bootloader but when I try to root it doesn't seem to work... Does this work for 4.1.2? using windows7 and the r3 superboot

Try flashing this file from the recovery (which you'll need to reflash/boot into from the bootloader): http://db.tt/wTBGIPFk

When done, boot up, open SuperSU and update the binary if it asks to, then update it from the market it will probably need that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21