[VIDEO] Unlock, Root, & Clockwork for the Nexus 7 Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenasauras

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Your tutorial is really good and it helps me feel more confident about successfully rooting my device. I want to root my n7 so that I can use stick mount and use a USB-OTG on it. I'm not sure about custom recoveries, etc. yet and don't want to mess around with them yet. Does the way you showed in your video install clockwork/other custom recoveries? I just want to use my USB and nada else for right now and want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Your tutorial is really good and it helps me feel more confident about successfully rooting my device. I want to root my n7 so that I can use stick mount and use a USB-OTG on it. I'm not sure about custom recoveries, etc. yet and don't want to mess around with them yet. Does the way you showed in your video install clockwork/other custom recoveries? I just want to use my USB and nada else for right now and want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head.

Selecting "No" as explained below will leave you with your stock recovery:

A new feature has also been added to Clockwork since the making of this video, as seen below:
Click to view quoted image

Do you want to be rooted only, and keep the ability to install OTA updates? If so, select No from the above menu. Alternatively, if you aren't worried about applying OTA updates and want to be able to flash ROMs/kernels/etc, select Yes from the menu above. This is completely reversibile by flashing recovery again, so if you aren't sure what to choose just pick No. You'll be presented with the above screen toward the end of the video.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

7606664948_3ebe866242_c.jpg

Do you want to be rooted only, and keep the ability to install OTA updates? If so, select No from the above menu. Alternatively, if you aren't worried about applying OTA updates and want to be able to flash ROMs/kernels/etc, select Yes from the menu above. This is completely reversibile by flashing recovery again, so if you aren't sure what to choose just pick No. You'll be presented with the above screen toward the end of the video.

First time rooter here, so I very, very much appreciate the video. I had the same issue as some others with supersu.zip not loading, but was able to fix it by manually copying it over as indicated in the 'troubleshooting' 3rd post.

My problem is that I can't find where to get to the above screen. From the ClockworkMod Recovery screen, what do I need to do to get to it? After stopping when I realized supersu.zip wasn't on the device, rebooting, and transferring it over, I started from step one but never came across the above screen. I definitely want to be able to receive OTA updates, and it looks like by default I won't unless I change it...

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

First time rooter here, so I very, very much appreciate the video. I had the same issue as some others with supersu.zip not loading, but was able to fix it by manually copying it over as indicated in the 'troubleshooting' 3rd post.

My problem is that I can't find where to get to the above screen. From the ClockworkMod Recovery screen, what do I need to do to get to it? After stopping when I realized supersu.zip wasn't on the device, rebooting, and transferring it over, I started from step one but never came across the above screen. I definitely want to be able to receive OTA updates, and it looks like by default I won't unless I change it...

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

The only way you'll get rid of stock recovery and not able to apply OTA updates is if you select Yes on that menu. Selecting No or bypassing that menu will leave your stock recovery intact, as well as your ability to update over the air. So you're good to go.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Reactions: 2defmouze

ExTheGod

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
About to give this a shot. Ive only rooted my EVO and a friends phone but I've been hacking handhelds for years so Im sure Ill be fine lol. Hopefully dont run into any problems.

ExTheGod

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I followed everything exactly but when I try and choose "choose zip from sdcard" it says can't E: Can't mount /sdcard/

I tried this fix

For anyone having a problem pushing the supersu zip to your Nexus 7, I followed the instructions from top to bottom, starting over each time but at the "choose zip from sd card" stage, there was no zip file to select. After several attempts, my fix turned out to be quite simple; just repeat the 'adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/' and 'adb reboot recovery' commands rather than starting again from the beginning.

An indication that the push probably didn't work is if your command prompt returns '* daemon not running. starting it now *' and '* daemon started successfully *' during the push command.

and its still not working. Anyone know?

And now I accidently unplugged it from the USB and it started going into a boot loop of only showing the Google symbol and then the 4 colored lines nexus symbol and now Im back at recovery and dont know how to get back to where i was :(

Last edited:

ExTheGod

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the double post but Im going to break it down how it happened.

I followed every step and every step worked perfectly.

Then when I did the "adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/" step when I went to choose "choose zip from sdcard" it said E: Can't mount /sdcard/ then I must have accidently clicked the power or something when i unplugged the device it went into a boot loop. I reset it and now it booted up normal. Installed and update when it rebooted. it shows the padlock unlocked when I boot up now but I didn't finish all the steps so i dont think it rooted properly. What do you suggest I do?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
You can just plug it in booted up, and move the su.zip to your internal storage. Then boot into the bootloader with
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
And boot into recovery as you did earlier:
Code:
fastboot boot nameofrecovery.zip
In recovery you should be able to flash the su.zip and everything else just follow like before.

Reactions: ExTheGod

ExTheGod

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
You can just plug it in booted up, and move the su.zip to your internal storage. Then boot into the bootloader with
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
And boot into recovery as you did earlier:
Code:
fastboot boot nameofrecovery.zip
In recovery you should be able to flash the su.zip and everything else just follow like before.

Yeah that's what I ended up having to do. It just freaked me out because it went into a bootloop and I couldn't get it to stop at first .its all good now. Happily rooted :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that's what I ended up having to do. It just freaked me out because it went into a bootloop and I couldn't get it to stop at first .its all good now. Happily rooted :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Fastboot is your friend and lifesaver :).

bmschech

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem and I *am* logged in as an administrator. At least my user account says I'm an administrator. Is there any other way to check this?

roballer

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Awesome stuff! Really appreciate it! However I ran across one issue. when i did the adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/ and hit enter.. cmd showed a normal response which was good. however when i went to go look for supersu on my nexus.. it didnt show up... how can i fix this?

Thank You!

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Awesome stuff! Really appreciate it! However I ran across one issue. when i did the adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/ and hit enter.. cmd showed a normal response which was good. however when i went to go look for supersu on my nexus.. it didnt show up... how can i fix this?

Thank You!

Reboot to Welcome screen and confirm it is there by plugging into your computer and checking with Windows. If it isn't there, drag and drop it in Windows.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Garrndak

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I tried following the directions on the video, however when I get to the point of typing "fastboot oem unlock", I am not able to continue any further. Command prompt says
'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

any suggestions?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I tried following the directions on the video, however when I get to the point of typing "fastboot oem unlock", I am not able to continue any further. Command prompt says
'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

any suggestions?

You need to use "CD" to navigate to the directory where fastboot.exe is. In the video, I put it in C:\nexus7 and then showed you how to use "CD" to get there.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Garrndak

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
thank you for your quick reply. I had used cd to change the directory.

c:\nexus7>fastboot oem unlock

that is what I have as the full command

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma