[VIDEO] Unlock, Root, & Clockwork for the Nexus 7 Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendallc123

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Are you on Linux? Try putting a sudo in front of that command if you are.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I have 2 computers, one is a desktop running Linux and the other is a laptop running windows 7. My device wasn't recognized on my desktop so I decided to use my laptop. So, no I'm not on Linux...

Kendall

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
That worked! The screen popped up on my n7 and I hit the power button to choose yes to unlock the bootloader. I'll continue with the video now and let you know if I have anymore questions. Thanks!

No problem. I recommend doing that "reboot-bootloader" command after every fastboot input just because it (1) ensures everything is "updated," and (2) can weed out some ghosts and goblins.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: kendallc123

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
MAYBE THIS WILL HELP

Had an entire post but hit a key and lost it. <SIGH>

So anyway here it is again more or less. I had the same issues some of you had.

First: Basically if you can only see the N7 mounted as the Samsung device, do not worry, it roots fine using that. i:)i
Well maybe I should say that it worked FOR ME with it listed like that. I simply could not get the naked drives mounted but it was not a big deal in the end. As a matter of fact somewhere along the line it changed to the Android ADB Interface when I just checked I again, weird....

Second I also had the issue of the N7 not seeing the "SD card" and when I did after rebooting the N7 , I did not see the supersu.zip file to install even though the DOS command said it did like the video.

So this will fix both. Just restart the N7 and boot it as normal from the recovery screen.

Let it mount a USB drive, it will be called Nexus 7 in the My Computer list of devices and the drive will be called Internal Storage.

Copy the c:\nexus7\supersu.zip file to this N7 Internal Storage drive. Just stick it in the root along with the folders, Android, DCIM etc...

Then shut down the N7, hold power and Vol down and go from there to install supersu.zip. After I coped the file there manually I could then see the SD card and install it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: ragnarokx

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
MAYBE THIS WILL HELP

Had an entire post but hit a key and lost it. <SIGH>

So anyway here it is again. I had the same issues some of you had.

First: Basically if you can only see the N7 mounted as the Samsung device, do not worry, it roots fine using that. I simply could not get the naked drives mounted but it was not a big deal in the end. As a matter of fact somewhere along the line it changed to the Android ADB Interface.

Second I also had the issue of the N7 not seeing the "SD card" and when i did I did not see the supersu.zip file to install, "

So this will fix both. Just restart the N7 and boot it as normal from the recovery screen.

Let it mount a USB drive, it will be called Nexus 7 in the My Computer list of devices and the drive will be called Internal Storage.

Copy the c:\nexus7\supersu.zip file to this N7 drive. Just stick it in the root along with the folder, Android, DCIM etc...

Then shut down the N7, hold power and Vol down and go from there to install supersu.zip. After I coped the file there manually I could then see the SD card and install it.

Hope this helps.

I already have this info in post #3, but I like your explanation better. Going to use it instead.

Sent from my Nexus 7

n0obpr0

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I have an issue. My nexus 7 is not showing up in Device manager so I cannot update the driver :(

Update: I was able to unlock it but some reason superuser didn't show up in my sdcard...even after successfully pushing it twice. lol

Last edited:

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So what do we do about the update that keeps trying to install?

Sorry I have been busy today and only had time to skim the posts here...

mikec8785

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
So what do we do about the update that keeps trying to install?

Sorry I have been busy today and only had time to skim the posts here...

I'm assuming this is the OTA that got pushed about the time people started getting their shipments.

Is it failing during installation? If so, you will need to flash stock recovery. Let the OTA install and then you can flash CWM after. Check the main Page on the Troubleshooting post for adb commands.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

mikec8785

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I have an issue. My nexus 7 is not showing up in Device manager so I cannot update the driver :(

Update: I was able to unlock it but some reason superuser didn't show up in my sdcard...even after successfully pushing it twice. lol

This is a problem with CWM it seems. Just reboot and then drag and drop when your computer recognizes the sd card portion of your tablet. Check out the Troubleshooting post, a lot of people had this problem.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm assuming this is the OTA that got pushed about the time people started getting their shipments.

Is it failing during installation? If so, you will need to flash stock recovery. Let the OTA install and then you can flash CWM after. Check the main Page on the Troubleshooting post for adb commands.

I guess I am asking if I should allow the update that is being pushed AFTER I am all rooted and unlocked. I rooted before that update notice. Now it keeps wanting to update but I don't want to mess anything up.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Does this fix the issue with not being able to boot into recovery from bootloader?

No unfortunately.

I guess I am asking if I should allow the update that is being pushed AFTER I am all rooted and unlocked. I rooted before that update notice. Now it keeps wanting to update but I don't want to mess anything up.

The only thing it could mess up is root. To fix, just root again. You'll need stock recovery as mentioned in previous posts.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
No unfortunately.
The only thing it could mess up is root. To fix, just root again. You'll need stock recovery as mentioned in previous posts.

Okay so it will stay unlocked. I just did not want to have to reinstall and set everything back up again. :i)i

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power