[GUIDE] Nexus 7 - Factory Image Restore

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It's the same netbook I used to unlock bootloader and root said Nexus 7, galaxy Nexus and galaxy s3 with no issues.

Not sure what else I could recommend. You could try using a toolkit like Wugs if you want, sometimes people have success that way if this method fails, and vice versa. I'd still try a different computer.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The Wug's Toolkit doesn't work with 4.3 as I've learned after hours of bashing my brains out. He says the SDK was changed, so he needs to update his toolkit to 1.6.5 to get it working.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
The Wug's Toolkit doesn't work with 4.3 as I've learned after hours of bashing my brains out. He says the SDK was changed, so he needs to update his toolkit to 1.6.5 to get it working.

Makes sense...

To the earlier poster.. If you would check the Nexus 4 Rooting section, Factory restore guide (link in my signature as well) there was a user earlier with a similar issue who was able to fix it downloading some updated files from Google. Haven't had a chance to look into it yet myself but it might help you to see what he did and try it out.

ethanhunt2202

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Are you trying to flash the correct version, you don't have the 3g Nexus 7 and are trying to flash the wifi only factory image?

If that's not the case.. Try reinstalling the drivers and switching usb ports, try to use a rear one. What system are you using?

Thank you for your help. I can do it.

Randy Sidberry

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I did everything and now my nexus will not go off nor will it go pass the screen that says GOOGLE when it starts up. also on the bottom I see a image of a lock. I attempted to do the steps over but my terminal just tells me it's waiting for my nexus to restart. PLEASE HELP ME

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I did everything and now my nexus will not go off nor will it go pass the screen that says GOOGLE when it starts up. also on the bottom I see a image of a lock. I attempted to do the steps over but my terminal just tells me it's waiting for my nexus to restart. PLEASE HELP ME

Just hold power until it boots down/reboots and try again, carefully following the directions.

UCFKnight2008

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I had an error imaging System. Unknown error. Changed USB ports like you suggested on page 1 and BAM! it worked.

Thank you so much. Now off to play with 4.3.

vitak124

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I followed these instructions and everything was fine until i had to use the <sudo fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-4.23.img> my N7 download file had bootloader-tilapia-4.23.img, instead.
I tried that. Seemed to write alright. Did the <sudo fastboot reboot-bootloader> and my N7 still shows grouper. I've switched USB ports and same result. Any ideas?

Randy Sidberry

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
--------------------------------------------
getvar:version-bootloader FAILED (remote: (Timeout))
macintosh-9:tools sneed_sam_sneed$

I'm using a mac and keep getting this as a response to the upload.

dlcoronado

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Something went wrong during the OTA update to 4.3 and my Nexus 7 was soft-bricked. Decided to reset factory image. Everything was going smoothly, but for the life of me I couldn't get this to advance beyond "Sending System." Trying different cables and usb ports didn't help. Flashing images in pieces didn't work either. Many hours later, I finally took a chance on turning off Airport (Wi-Fi) on my MacBook 2,1 (circa 2007), Mac OS 10.6.8. And voila! I was able to flash system.img. Followed the remaining steps and got tablet working again. Phew!