[GUIDE] Nexus 7 - Factory Image Restore

chatperdu

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Factory Image Restore for your Nexus 7

Had success on a Mac. Hanged during "sending system". Had to restart device and send "system.img" and "userdata.img" manually. But all in all, excellent information. Thank you. I like the fact that the instruction is generic and not OS specific. I should be able to apply this to future version of the Android OS.

Phil Green

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for an amazing thread! First time root user myself and I thought I'd share a snippet of information which MIGHT be helpful. (Hopefully) as I just figured out the solution to my problem (Although it took 3 hours to do so, I'm proud of the result.)

IF You get stuck on "Sending system.img" on Fastboot options, and it does not work - Do the following -

Type the following, and press ENTER between each line.

fastboot erase system
fastboot format system
fastboot reboot bootloader
fastboot flash system system.img

Do this for EACH of the partitions, then restart. Hope it helps.

PS - Recovery will NOT go back to default. I originally CWM'd mine, and never backed up the original recovery so It's lost on my device. Don't make the same mistake.

I apologise now, if this information has been posted but due to the fact that the PC i'm currently using only has 512MB Ram, it's kind of hard to check through forums lol.

Hope it helped,

Thanks for an amazing thread, you guys definitely saved my backside!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
This is great but I want to go ALL the way back to stock. Can you re-post the old 3.41 bootloader file, PLEASE?!

Google only keeps the current, and sometimes one version prior, factory images available on their dev site. Nothing earlier than that.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mdothedon

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I can't find the file image-nakasi-jop40d.zip ANYWHERE!! The link provided gives a .tgz file and even when I extract it, I don't get a .zip file. Please help

celliott96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I am stuck on #8, when I type in "./fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jop40d.zip" I get the error: "No such file or directory".
I am using a mac, and I tried to follow all of the instructions to the tee. Thanks for your help.
UPDATE: Nevermind, I just made a dumb mistake and didn't move the file into the fastboot folder. Thank you so much for your help, you made this so easy for me! I feel like I should pay you for helping me with this!

fishman04

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I get an error every time I try to flash the update file. I have tried switching cables, and switching USB ports. And I'm on a Mac.

checking product... OKAY
checking version-bootloader... OKAY
sending 'boot' (4606 KB)... OKAY
writing 'boot'... OKAY
sending 'recovery' (5106 KB)... OKAY
writing 'recovery'... OKAY
sending 'system' (528847 KB)... ERROR: usb_write failed with status e00002be
FAILED (data transfer failure (No such file or directory))

Any ideas?

ylmas

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
hi 2defmouze.

i dont know if i am at the right thread to ask this

my newly bought nexus 7 failed an OTA update from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2

the android is lying down with the red triangle exclamation mark.

can you guide me what to do? :D i think you are a good and brilliant member here,

ps:sorry for my bad english :D

RWayne

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Some things I learned today:
1 - Never used toolkits. You won't know where they failed.
2 - Fight till the end
3 - Be CAREFULL with stuff you're using in your rooted N7, even if it's a highly recommended app from play store like LCD Density (Yep, that one screwed me up real good).

I almost died today when my fully functional and rooted N7 gave me only a black screen after rebooting to apply changes from LCD Density. I tried flashing stock rom twice using the same toolkit that helped me root it, but no deal. I was stuck at the "X" logo on boot forever. Guess what, like it was said on the first page, simplest solutions are often the solutions. The deal is that the commands to erase cache, recovery and system using fastboot will not succesfully complete if your device is plugged in your PC using a USB port from the front panel. I was only able to find this out when I was following this guide, as the feedback to the user from fastboot is given to the user without any kind of filter from a third-party tool. I switched to a rear USB port and all commands finished smoothly, and a tear went through my cheek when I heard the N7 first boot sound. Thank you Hollip3020 for the feedback regarding the USB port, and I wonder if our friend fenderjelly tried this... Maybe it's not too late for him, I will try sending him a message about this right now.

Thank you all, and Remember: Use a rear USB port to connect your device to the PC. It worked for me.

IgnorantNerd

May 7, 2012
Visit site
2defmouze, Thank you so much for this guide. I had a brain fart and wiped my system rom and bricked my Nexus 10 but with your help I got back good as new. Thanks for all your hard work!

jktghfg

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
The problem with my nexus 7 is that I installed cyanogen mod 10. There were quite a lot of bugs, so I thought I would go back to my normal stock ROM rooted. The problem is when I went to flash it, I couldn't find it anywhere. Now all I have aid cyanogen mod and I don't know how to get back to stock. Will this work for me? Plz help me...
Thanks in advance

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
The problem with my nexus 7 is that I installed cyanogen mod 10. There were quite a lot of bugs, so I thought I would go back to my normal stock ROM rooted. The problem is when I went to flash it, I couldn't find it anywhere. Now all I have aid cyanogen mod and I don't know how to get back to stock. Will this work for me? Plz help me...
Thanks in advance

This will do that, but it will wipe everything including the sd partition. In the future make a backup before flashing and you could have just restored that. :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

jktghfg

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks....everything goes well until the sending system part.... I watched the video and it only took him 2 min.... and for me it stays on the sending system part for more than 15 min...I'm still stuck on that...plz help me...I don't know what to do.... if u can help me ...I'll be willing to donate...plz help me man..... I can't even boot up now..it sstays in the Google screen plz help me
UPDATE: I switched usb ports and it worked.... man urges the best....I love u....urge the best...I want to donate plz give me a link so that I can donate. Ur the best man.... love u and android central... android for life.....

Last edited: