I think I may have broke it...

mdcraig

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
So i think I broke my N7. I had already rooted and it was working fine. I was playing around in there, using ROM toolbox. I saw that I could change the font, so I did. It said it needed to reboot, so I rebooted. Now its stuck on the glowing X.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, if you made a backup beforehand you should be good. Hold the power button for 10 seconds to force a reboot, then hold volume down to get back to the boot loader. From there, you can fastboot boot your recovery.img and restore your backup.

Edit: if you didn't make a backup first, 2def has you covered with his guide to get back to stock

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much! All up and running now, and re-rooted. Apparently the ROM toolbox does not make a backup when it says it does. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks again!

Just as FYI, bump the thread. I use Online Nandroid Backup available in the Market because I've decided to stay on stock recovery to get OTA updates. Works good and can get back where I need to be pretty quickly.

ROM Toolbox is pretty good and Jared is very responsive if you have any problems. Let him know and he'll try to get it resolved I'm sure.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
You really should be backing up using your recovery. That will be the BEST way to backup and your system and will be your best fail safe in case something like this happens again. Backing up in the recovery is very very easy and probably the best way to make a backup.

Reactions: 2defmouze

kendallc123

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Also, always remember, just because the option is there in an app, (for example, being able to change the ROM's font in Rom Toolbox) that doesn't always mean that certain ROM is capable of font changes.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
You really should be backing up using your recovery. That will be the BEST way to backup and your system and will be your best fail safe in case something like this happens again. Backing up in the recovery is very very easy and probably the best way to make a backup.

Also, always remember, just because the option is there in an app, (for example, being able to change the ROM's font in Rom Toolbox) that doesn't always mean that certain ROM is capable of font changes.

Stated.