ADB restore on root

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I was just wondering if I were to make an ADB Backup of my Nexus 7 while on stock 4.1.1, would it be safe to do an ADB Restore after I unlock/root?

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Safe, sure, but I'm pretty sure that'd remove root.
It won't relock you and shouldn't remove CWM. (TWRP)

^that. You'll lose root... If you're thinking you'll get all your apps back, you won't. Unlocking wipes your SD as well as data. You'd have to pull your backup to your PC, then push it back after you unlock. Unless that's what you already had in mind?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
^that. You'll lose root... If you're thinking you'll get all your apps back, you won't. Unlocking wipes your SD as well as data. You'd have to pull your backup to your PC, then push it back after you unlock. Unless that's what you already had in mind?

ADB backup copies the files onto your PC, so that shouldn't be a problem. And I haven't used it in a while, but are you sure root would be affected? Superuser or SuperSU should be in /system, and I don't think ADB backup and restore touches that directory.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

This is pretty much what I was thinking.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I just thought, what's the point of pushing back your stock backup after unlocking and rooting, unless you either want to 1)intentionally lose root (in which case, why root to begin with... unless it's for the purpose of making a return), or 2) trying to get your setup back after unlocking.

I probably don't understand fully.

Also, thank you ragnarokx for clarifying about adb backup... I've never actually used that function. Good to know! :)

Why I love these forums.. I always learn something new :)

Edit: spelling

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I was just wondering because I did an ADB restore for the first time the other day and not only did it bring everything back, but it put everything in the folders I had originally set up. I just thought it would be really convenient to be able to root/unlock then have everything set up the way it was before the wipe through a simple ADB restore.

But this is because I've gotten lazy :p

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: oxymoron

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I did the restore after I did a flash back to stock, but I will attempt this tonight and report my findings.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: oxymoron

Vektor67

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
This article should resolve this thread.

I know this thread is quite old, but I just stumbled upon this article,which addresses quite completely, the question posed, explored and not quite fully resolved, in this thread. For Nexus 7 owners this could be very useful.
The article opens thus;
"So you have had your Android device for a while and you want start customizing, but you know if you unlock the bootloader and root your phone it will wipe everything. So what do you do? Use ADB backup before you root, then restore once root is complete! "

ADB Backup & Restore - The SuperUser's Guide