After Rooting, what happens to pre-installed Apps, Games, Videos?

sbinwien

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered a Nexus 7. I want to root it, once it arrives...

But what happens to the pre-installed Apps, Games, Videos, Books, etc.?

Are they wiped out and the Nexus 7 is back to pure Vanilla?
Are they still there?

If they get wiped out, is there a way to save them first to another device before rooting?

Thanks for the info.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Re: After Rooting, what happens to pre-installed Apps, Games, Vid

No contents are lost nor modified when you root. Rooting only unlocks access to system folders and files. It's when you flash custom ROM's, kernels, themes, etc.

Following the rooting sticky and you're right where you need to be when you're done.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Unlocking the bootloader will wipe everything, but you can just reinstall your stuff (if you install anything prior). You'll also want to back up anything on your sdcard; that also gets wiped. Preinstalled stuff will remain, although your personal stuff will need to be resynced.

Moral of the story? Back up your sdcard if you use it before unlocking.

Rooting itself, like Cory stated, does not do a thing with regards to your stuff.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

mgiusto

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

can I just root the Nexus 7 without unlocking the bootloader and wiping the device? I just want it rooted so I can use USB Host Mode.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

can I just root the Nexus 7 without unlocking the bootloader and wiping the device? I just want it rooted so I can use USB Host Mode.

Nahh.. if your intention is to do it, then just do it soon after you get it (make sure everything works and all that), before you load anything on there, that way the wipe won't hurt you :)

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Nahh.. if your intention is to do it, then just do it soon after you get it (make sure everything works and all that), before you load anything on there, that way the wipe won't hurt you :)

+1 if you think you might ever root your best bet is to unlock the second you get the device. Even if you don't root then you can later without wiping everything. So down the road if you want to go the custom ROM route you can root, flash cwm, backup your apps and be good to go.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bjadams44

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

+1 if you think you might ever root your best bet is to unlock the second you get the device. Even if you don't root then you can later without wiping everything. So down the road if you want to go the custom ROM route you can root, flash cwm, backup your apps and be good to go.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I thought that some custom ROM s require a wipe before installation?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I thought that some custom ROM s require a wipe before installation?

Yes they do. The wipe for a rom installation does not wipe your SDcard folder. Unlocking the bootloader wipes that, thus the difference.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Hello all. I am interesting in rooting my Nexus tablet for the sole purpose of using the Sixaxis Controller app. For some reason, my PS3 controller will not sync or pair with my tablet. I'm not sure if its the controller, tablet, or the cords at this point, but it has worked before but will not work everytime.

My concern now is if it will delete everything on my tablet. Can I just root it and not unlock the bootloader or do I have to have that to use certain apps? What is the difference if I can just root it and not unlock bootloader? Thanks all.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Hello all. I am interesting in rooting my Nexus tablet for the sole purpose of using the Sixaxis Controller app. For some reason, my PS3 controller will not sync or pair with my tablet. I'm not sure if its the controller, tablet, or the cords at this point, but it has worked before but will not work everytime.

My concern now is if it will delete everything on my tablet. Can I just root it and not unlock the bootloader or do I have to have that to use certain apps? What is the difference if I can just root it and not unlock bootloader? Thanks all.

At this moment, I do not believe there's a method to root without unlocking the bootloader. For the differences, read above or check out my Kraken guide for the Nexus 7.

As far as what's deleted, my post details what's deleted at each "step."

Reactions: 2defmouze

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

No you have to unlock to root it, as you need to flash a custom recovery to be able to flash the superuser app and binaries. I've mentioned earlier (or in another thread) that I believe Wug's toolkit will unlock and root while backing up and restoring your data, but I'm not positive on how reliable it is. I'd advise you to be prepared to lose everything when you unlock.

amirizzat92

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site

hello, i'm new here. Let's say i passed the rooting process and i'm moving on to installing custom ROM, will every app that i installed in my device will be wiped out? can you explain? thanks a lot.

GedBlake

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site

hello, i'm new here. Let's say i passed the rooting process and i'm moving on to installing custom ROM, will every app that i installed in my device will be wiped out? can you explain? thanks a lot.

Hi, amirizzat92...

Yes, they would be wiped out.

Custom ROMs are flashed via a Custom Recovery... of which two are available; namely ClockWorkMod (CWM) recovery and The Windows Recovery Project ( TWRP).

Whichever Custom Recovery you choose, they have to be fastboot flashed... with the fastboot command.

But before you can issue fastboot commands to your Nexus 7, you must first UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER.

Unlocking the bootloader (with fastboot oem unlock) completely wipes the Nexus 7... akin to a FACTORY RESET. This, apparently, according to Google, is for security reasons.

So all your data (pic's, music, videos, etc) and all your user-installed apps from Google Play Store are lost. The device is as it was when you first unboxed it.

Equally, and also... you need a Custom Recovery installed in order to gain ROOT.

There is no way around this, unfortunately... regardless of the method... whether that be directly through fastboot or via some toolkit. The Bootloader MUST be unlocked before you can fastboot flash a Custom Recovery... and that WILL WIPE the device:(.

------------------------------------------

So,... to summarize...

* Unlock the Bootloader (will wipe the device; factory reset).
* Fastboot flash a Custom Recovery (CWM or TWRP).
* Using that Custom Recovery, flash the ROM of your choice.
* ...or, alternatively, just ROOT.

------------------------------------------

Rgrds,
Ged.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney