[CHALLENGE] Can you edit the "Google" boot logo (Nexus 7)?

emaronchi

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi, this is a tough challenge for some very good programmer. Can you find where the "Google" logo is stored in the boot loader? I know for sure it is in the boot loader because I have compiled both the OS and the kernel from source and there was absolutely nothing of the kind in the Android 4.1.1 source.

I attach the original Nexus 7 boot loader (3.34) in a zipped .img file, which you can open with a Hex editor or any text editor. I couldn't make much sense of most contents but I did, however, find these lines

Code:
Assert on %s:%d
vendor/nvidia/tegra/prebuilt/kai/../../core/utils/nvos/aos/nvap/nvos_aos_libc.cBootloader Start at:%d ms
0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz**********Aos DebugSemiHosting Initialized*******

after these there seemed to be a pattern that could possibly be a raw figure (RGB565??). That's where my expertise stops and I asked for help.

Can anybody shed some light on this? Obviously I'm working under the assumption that Google didn't release the source for the boot loader (true??? can anybody confirm this??), otherwise the whole exercise would be useless.

Please let me know!

cheers

Shridutt

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
i also did a lot of Rnd but nothing worked...its a hell of a logo... even managed to changed bootanimation but the splash is not the thing to chang on the nexus series devices like nexus s,nexus 7....:(

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
i also did a lot of Rnd but nothing worked...its a hell of a logo... even managed to changed bootanimation but the splash is not the thing to chang on the nexus series devices like nexus s,nexus 7....:(

You can with the app I linked to.

elmo

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
If you're rooted and using a file explorer, go to system>media>bootanimation.zip

There are 3 folders in there: part0, part1, part2.

Inside each folder are png files of the boot animation. If you change the pictures but leave the file names (000.png through 079.png), will that change the the Nexus boot animation to the custom picture you changed to? It's a lot of work if it does. Someone can make a custom one of let's say, R2 D2?

edit: I just googled bootanimation. I guess there are already files out there you can replace bootanimation.zip with. :)

Last edited: