Decisions... :/

minnis12

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I reallg want to unlock and root but i dont wanna lose all my data. Ive got my entire school sxhedule for this semester and things like that(not on a google app so i cant back it up to my gmail) . I would really hate to lose all of this stuff. But i really wanna try some of these new ROMs. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
This is why it's generally suggested that you unlock when you first get the device, before you get it all setup.

I would suggest just saving what you can manually and just bitting the bullet. Once it's unlocked you'll never have to deal with it again and you'll be able to backup stuff in the future.

Probably not the answer you were looking for but good luck!

Jubakuba

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
You can adb backup...

Setting up ADB for our device:
Cyanogenmod has a guide that you can follow to set up ADB.
Note: There isn't a .zip available anymore. Just use the .exe and install it directly to the C:\ path when the installer asks.

Now you have ADB installed! Congratulations.

Backup app data:

This will not backup your SD card. Do that manually if you wish.
Take note, that you'll need to be using CyanogenMod's method for setting up ADB to do this. The ADB AIO application installs an older SDK without this functionality. First, get your drivers installed (detailed in post one). Once you get ADB installed (post one), navigate to the C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools folder on your computer. Hold shift and right click. Select "Open Command Window Here."
Input this while your phone is turned on and USB Debugging is Enabled in Settings>Developer Settings>USB Debugging.

Type this:
Code:
adb backup -apk -noshared -all -nosystem
(Hit Enter)

Your phone will ask for a password. Input one and remember it.
Once the process completes: continue with unlocking and rooting your phone.

Upon unlocking and rooting your phone: open up ADB again.
Enter this code:
Code:
adb restore backup.ab
(Hit Enter)

Input the password you saved to this file earlier, and wait for the restore to complete.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan