Can you use the new Nexus 7 as a cell phone?

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure that having a 3G radio means it's got phone capabilities. I thought that with GSM there wasn't a phone number provisioned on data only device, but i could be wrong about that. At the very least I'm sure that what needs to be wired up on the TMO side isn't going to support a phone call so that probably means that hacking up the device and adding the dialer back in won't work.

Your best bet would be to try and find some 3rd party VOIP client that works over 3G...Most only work over WiFi.

Good luck!

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I've seen custom ROMs for GSM tablets that had SMS and phone apps functional. Keep an eye out for new custom ROMs as devs start getting their 3G Nexus 7s.

cognus

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
thx for posting that link. good, if superficial, article - a flyby of the "why nexus 7" argument. I couldn't help but think he was sorta accidentally making a case for the ipad mini as well, and as he explicitly says, for a Note/Note2/Note3. he used the "default" GrooveIP and made no mention of other apps/methods of calling, and really didn't discuss it much. most of the article is about other things.
If I could afford a Note 2 on cash-no-contract, I'd drop the nex7 in a heartbeat. looking at a Note 1 as compromise...

Njshoregurl

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I use Google voice and have v talk text on the fire lol both work as a phone.
I dont use it often... But yes VoIP over Wi-Fi works:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Mike Boyd

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes and its very easy. Get a Google voice number, its free. Then download the grooveIP lite app, also free. Then if you go into settings in Google Voice you can configure it too forward your incoming calls to Google Chat. And if you have a 3g HSPA Nexus 7 you can basically use this message to replace your cell phone. You can make calls receive calls and send and receive texts using Google Voice and groove IP. So for 20 dollars a month data connection you basically have a nexus 7 working as a full fledged cell phone

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes and its very easy. Get a Google voice number, its free. Then download the grooveIP lite app, also free. Then if you go into settings in Google Voice you can configure it too forward your incoming calls to Google Chat. And if you have a 3g HSPA Nexus 7 you can basically use this message to replace your cell phone. You can make calls receive calls and send and receive texts using Google Voice and groove IP. So for 20 dollars a month data connection you basically have a nexus 7 working as a full fledged cell phone

I wonder why you need groove IP? On a pc, you can use google voice and chat by themselves. This is not possible on the N7? I find google voice and chat on a pc to be of better quality than even basic cell phone service on an actual cell phone (of course, this is wired ethernet - but I imagine close to the same with fast wifi)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon