Root Nexus 7 to install custom theme on the stock rom...

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I want to install a custom theme on my Nexus. I have been looking at this thread http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...er-factory-restore-root-any-nexus-device.html to see how unlocking the bootloader and such is done. My question is how far through these steps do I have to go? At one point can I stop if I'm only trying to install a custom rom? Like I said I want to stay on the stock 4.2. Also, will I still be able to get OTA updates if I'm rooted? Thanks for any help.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
you cannot really stay on stock and have a custom rom.

You can be on a stock rom that is rooted to allow the installation of a theme if there is one made for it. For that you will have to follow all the instructions. You need to unlock, root and install a custom recovery to do what I think you are trying to do.

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
My mistake, I meant I only want to install the custom theme. I'm stuck on the installation of the usb drivers right now. I even tried the Nexus 7 toolkit from xda to try to install them but they wont take.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Need to be on a deodexed ROM to flash a theme (all custom ROMs are, stock is odexed though) or one with the theme chooser built in.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Need to be on a deodexed ROM to flash a theme (all custom ROMs are, stock is odexed though) or one with the theme chooser built in.

The theme I want to flash says it is compatible with the stock rom. (see here Themes List for the Nexus 7 - xda-developers ). I'm so glad you popped up 2def lol...got a few questions.
1. I used the Nexus 7 Toolkit 1 click unlock, root, flashclockwork mod and busybox, etc. I downloaded the OTA Root Keeper app from the play store and used it to protect my root while tab updated to 4.2. When I open it the status says superuser app is installed, device is rooted, /system supports root access. It says that root permission isnt granted and protected su copy isnt available. How do I gain access to my root files? I installed ES File manager but it doesnt show my root files. The basic file manager app shows the root folder but says its empty.

2. I downloaded the zip file for the theme to my PC. Can you give me some simple instructions on how I install it?

Thanks for your help.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
The theme I want to flash says it is compatible with the stock rom. (see here Themes List for the Nexus 7 - xda-developers ). I'm so glad you popped up 2def lol...got a few questions.
1. I used the Nexus 7 Toolkit 1 click unlock, root, flashclockwork mod and busybox, etc. I downloaded the OTA Root Keeper app from the play store and used it to protect my root while tab updated to 4.2. When I open it the status says superuser app is installed, device is rooted, /system supports root access. It says that root permission isnt granted and protected su copy isnt available. How do I gain access to my root files? I installed ES File manager but it doesnt show my root files. The basic file manager app shows the root folder but says its empty.

2. I downloaded the zip file for the theme to my PC. Can you give me some simple instructions on how I install it?

Thanks for your help.

Think you misinterpreted it, don't try to flash any themes over stock. Like I said, an odexed system can't be themed like that, your asking for trouble lol.
For.. 1. Just reroot it using the instructions in Zero's guide, I believe he updated the SuperSU v.98 file which you need to root 4.2, or you can find it in my post toward the end of his thread.
2. Yeah don't do that, lol.. Seriously I think there was a miscommunication there. Need to be deodexed to flash a theme >99% of the time.

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Think you misinterpreted it, don't try to flash any themes over stock. Like I said, an odexed system can't be themed like that, your asking for trouble lol.
For.. 1. Just reroot it using the instructions in Zero's guide, I believe he updated the SuperSU v.98 file which you need to root 4.2, or you can find it in my post toward the end of his thread.
2. Yeah don't do that, lol.. Seriously I think there was a miscommunication there. Need to be deodexed to flash a theme >99% of the time.

I found my way into the system files so I still have root after the update. Only problem now is...I dont know wth to do now that I'm rooted. I only did it to install the theme. Since thats now a no-go I basically wiped my device for no reason. It was fun staying up all night trying to get it to work though. Thanks for your help 2def.. Any suggestions on what to do with it now that its rooted?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I found my way into the system files so I still have root after the update. Only problem now is...I dont know wth to do now that I'm rooted. I only did it to install the theme. Since thats now a no-go I basically wiped my device for no reason. It was fun staying up all night trying to get it to work though. Thanks for your help 2def.. Any suggestions on what to do with it now that its rooted?

Flash CM10.1? Lol

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Like 2def mentions, you could (should? :)) flash a custom ROM. I have been running rasbeanjelly ROM on my N7 for a few days now and really like it (it's a 4.2.1 ROM), but there are plenty out there.

If you really are not down with flashing a ROM, you can always try a launcher like Apex or Nova, and use one of the gazillion themes that are out there for the launchers. Not quite the same as what you wanted to do, but its at least something. Good luck!

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't now if I'm ready to try flashing a custom rom yet. I'll have to build my courage up just a little more before I attempt that. Are there any other mods I could install on a stock rom? I would like the glowing soft keys I have seen some phones with.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
All that stuff comes with custom ROMS...sorry. Flashing ROMS is actually pretty simple. Do some more reading on the process, and you'll feel more comfortable the more you read. The guides/stickies here on AC, as well as the Mods/Advisors are awesome, especially the folks who dwell in the Nexus forums. You'll have plenty of help if you want/need it.

dark_samus

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Honestly when it comes to a nexus device the only thing that will permanently brick it is the command 'fastboot erase bootloader' as you have no way of booting anything other than that these things are pretty much unbrickable as far as I've seen/had ny fair share of experiences with now if only we can get nvflash working for the nexus 7 then it'd be truly unbrickable as you could erase the bootloader and flash a new on with nvflash anyways the point is as long as you stay away from that one command there's always a way to bring it back so don't be nervous this is what the nexus devices are made for to be flashed hacked modded and basically made how you want it not how the company made it

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Android Central Forums

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Flash CM10.1? Lol

Is it a custom version of 4.2? If so, f***k it let's do it. If you can point me to a guide that I can use with the nexus toolkit I'll give it a try. In the meantime I'll be searching for one myself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Is it a custom version of 4.2? If so, f***k it let's do it. If you can point me to a guide that I can use with the nexus toolkit I'll give it a try. In the meantime I'll be searching for one myself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Ok I found a video about installing CM10 with the Nexus 7 Toolkit. Now my problem is the CM10 download keeps dying on me. Tried about 5 times already with no luck. I'm gonna try once more while I eat. If it dies on me again, would one of you happen to have the zip file posted on drop box or some site like that?
<EDIT>
Also, in the video the guy goes through the process from the very beginning. I am already unlocked and rooted. Can I skip the step of installing supersu all over again? The video is here: How to Root and Install CyanogenMod 10 on Nexus 7 - YouTube

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I should have done this a long time ago. Even though it's a 4.1 based ROM its better than stock 4.2 IMO. I said in my post I was going to theme it today but ended up doing it right then. Thanks again for the help. On to my GNex tonight.

Sent from my CM10 Smothered Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354299367052.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354299367052.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 229

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Cobalt CM9/CM10 theme and Blue ADW theme from the play store.

Sent from my C-Mod'd Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dark_samus

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
This is a common problem I have with themes and the nexus 7 in phablet mode which I really like not every thing is there for example the apps button isn't the right size
uploadfromtaptalk1354763717527.jpg
Still a great theme which I will be keeping thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 with CM10 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary