Help! How can I use my micro USB without...

Molepox

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if this has been asked before, or covered elswhere, or misplaced in the wrong section.

How can I use my micro USB to connect a 3G moblie data dongle with an osg without paying for Nexus Media Importer or rooting my N7? Is it possible?

And just how is it that Google consider it acceptable to limit how I may use MY device?

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Molepox

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
And just how is it that Google consider it acceptable to limit how I may use MY device?
Molepox
I'm afraid I can't really answer your first question, but as to this one, it is quite simple, they don't. You are free to do whatever you want with your Nexus 7 including using it as a frisbee.

Google have their vision of how they want Android to be and they present it to you in the Nexus devices, but if you don't like it they give you the source code, they let you unlock the bootloader and flash a custom ROM, so you are free to flash a ROM someone else has customised, or you have the option to customise it yourself, I don't see how they are limiting what you can do with the hardware you bought.

And why don't you want to root your device anyway? You can't complain about limits and then say you don't want root, it doesn't make sense.

I suspect you'll need a custom ROM if you want to use a 3G dongle, I tried connecting my 3G dongle using a OTG cable (albeit without a SIM card in it because I didn't want to take the card out of my phone), the kernel recognised it, but I didn't get any options to use it (though this may be because there was no SIM card in it, but I doubt it).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this has been asked before, or covered elswhere, or misplaced in the wrong section.

How can I use my micro USB to connect a 3G moblie data dongle with an osg without paying for Nexus Media Importer or rooting my N7? Is it possible?

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Molepox

Limiting a device isn't the same as it just not being designed to work that way out of the box.

That's like saying Ford sucks because the car you bought doesn't fly, it wasn't meant to.

You may be able to root it and enable IP over the USB port, I haven't seen that done yet though.

Most people just root their phone, and tether over wifi to whatever device they want.

hellhole

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm afraid I can't really answer your first question, but as to this one, it is quite simple, they don't. You are free to do whatever you want with your Nexus 7 including using it as a frisbee.

Google have their vision of how they want Android to be and they present it to you in the Nexus devices, but if you don't like it they give you the source code, they let you unlock the bootloader and flash a custom ROM, so you are free to flash a ROM someone else has customised, or you have the option to customise it yourself, I don't see how they are limiting what you can do with the hardware you bought.

And why don't you want to root your device anyway? You can't complain about limits and then say you don't want root, it doesn't make sense.

I suspect you'll need a custom ROM if you want to use a 3G dongle, I tried connecting my 3G dongle using a OTG cable (albeit without a SIM card in it because I didn't want to take the card out of my phone), the kernel recognised it, but I didn't get any options to use it (though this may be because there was no SIM card in it, but I doubt it).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I am able use a 3g dongle with an otg cable with the program ppp widget. Enable me to set the ApN. Rooted of course.