Strange, Root was removed by itself?

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
So after having my Nexus 7 for a few months I finally decided to root it a month or so ago.

I unlocked the bootloader, flashed CWM Recovery and super user and all that good stuff.

I haven't really used any apps that required root up until yesterday when I went and tried to install adfree. I uninstalled and then reinstalled the app and still nothing. I then tried installed ad away. And It couldn't start because it wasn't being allowed root access.

So I went into SU and it said binary outdated and then failed to update.

I downloaded rootchecker and it tells me I'm not rooted.

So I search online and found a solution that said to reflash SU (superuser) in recovery.

I try to go to recovery but it brings back to stock recovery every time I try to go into CWM..

It seems like my root disabled itself and I no longer have clockworkmod recovery.

I really don't understand how this happened. When I go to the bootloader it still says that it is unlocked, but I am no longer rooted.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'd guess you took the OTA.. OTA updates usually break root but won't have any effect on the bootloader. All you need to do is boot into recovery and flash supersu. Easiest recommendation is download and install Goomanager from the Play Store. Also download this file and have it on the device: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/SuperSU-v0.99.zip

In Goomanager select Install Openrecovery script, then reboot recovery. From TWRP flash the superSU file. All done! :)

EDIT: Sorry.. in rushing I didn't consider that goomanager won't work since you aren't currently rooted, lol.... You'll need to fastboot the recovery. Follow the unlock guides and download the latest updated recovery .img file, I recommend TWRP. Flash it using fastboot like you did when you unlocked and rooted the first time, then flash the supersu file like I said before :)

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I'd guess you took the OTA.. OTA updates usually break root but won't have any effect on the bootloader. All you need to do is boot into recovery and flash supersu. Easiest recommendation is download and install Goomanager from the Play Store. Also download this file and have it on the device: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/SuperSU-v0.99.zip

In Goomanager select Install Openrecovery script, then reboot recovery. From TWRP flash the superSU file. All done! :)

EDIT: Sorry.. in rushing I didn't consider that goomanager won't work since you aren't currently rooted, lol.... You'll need to fastboot the recovery. Follow the unlock guides and download the latest updated recovery .img file, I recommend TWRP. Flash it using fastboot like you did when you unlocked and rooted the first time, then flash the supersu file like I said before :)

Okay thanks I was hoping I wouldn't have to fastboot but I guess there is no way around it.

Edit: Fixed I had to go through the whole process of installing the Android SDK/ABD/FASTBOOT etc.. Was a real pain. Didn't have to do any of that for the last 2 devices I rooted. But I'm glad I did, since I'm going to need to root my Nexus 4 and my gf's Nexus 10.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
By the way, I had the SuperSu binary 0.98 already in my N7's "SD Card" from the first time I flashed it so I flashed that out of convenience because I didn't want to restart my tablet to put the new binary on and figured I could just update it from the native app.

But everytime I try to update to 0.99 it fails. Is there any benefit to the new version or should I just stop thinking about it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21