Some questions about rooting and voiding the warranty?

SupaLawlCat

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I broke my Nexus 7 about a week ago and a new one is on it's way. It wasn't really my fault, it was on a table and my friend bumped it. I'd make him pay but he is quite poor and the $270 would affect him much more than me. Anyway, it isn't covered by warranty so I had to get a new one.

I'd like to root it when it arrives since it would let me do more stuff, but I bought the extra warranty that covers drops and whatnot so I wouldn't have to spend another $270 in the case this new one gets damaged. If I were to root it, I assume it would render that warranty useless. Is it possible to "unroot" it, so it appears as if it was never rooted if I damage it? I know you can do this with Apple products. my cousin jailbroke his iPhone and the battery stopped working a few months later. He just restored it and Apple fixed it for free.

So yeah, is that possible? I am fairly careful with my devices, prior to this I have never broken anything. I don't want to root it and void my warranty permanently. I am likely being over-careful since it probably won't break again anyway, but still.

Thanks,

EDIT: I guess while I'm here I might as well ask my other question. How high could I overclock it? I've seen people do 1.8GHz but that seems to cause stability issues and heating. Would somewhere around 1.5GHz be good?

Last edited:

Levolent com

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I broke my Nexus 7 about a week ago and a new one is on it's way. It wasn't really my fault, it was on a table and my friend bumped it. I'd make him pay but he is quite poor and the $270 would affect him much more than me. Anyway, it isn't covered by warranty so I had to get a new one.

I'd like to root it when it arrives since it would let me do more stuff, but I bought the extra warranty that covers drops and whatnot so I wouldn't have to spend another $270 in the case this new one gets damaged. If I were to root it, I assume it would render that warranty useless. Is it possible to "unroot" it, so it appears as if it was never rooted if I damage it? I know you can do this with Apple products. my cousin jailbroke his iPhone and the battery stopped working a few months later. He just restored it and Apple fixed it for free.

So yeah, is that possible? I am fairly careful with my devices, prior to this I have never broken anything. I don't want to root it and void my warranty permanently. I am likely being over-careful since it probably won't break again anyway, but still.

Thanks,

EDIT: I guess while I'm here I might as well ask my other question. How high could I overclock it? I've seen people do 1.8GHz but that seems to cause stability issues and heating. Would somewhere around 1.5GHz be good?

Ive seen 2.0 but they mentioned it could actually melt stuff. Ill probably aim for 1.64 myself since theres a guide for that. Im still looking to see if its possible to change the kernel without a custom rom before I do it though because I really dont want to lose my progress thus far. I understand I can root without losing stuff but custom ROMs wipe everything.