How to root on 4.2.2

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I have yet to see a posting on here on how to root the Nexus after the 4.2.2 update. I could be wrong so if there is one please notify me and I'll remove this posting

I have found these steps from TechnoMild (full link here) you should have all the drivers so I wont post them.

NOTE: Skip Steps 1, 2, 3 if you already have the files.

Step 1 - Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install with USB drivers.

Step 2 - Enable USB Debugging mode in your Nexus 7 tablet.

Step 3 - Download Fastboot and extract it in the C:\android-sdk\platform-tools directory. Create directory if not already there. (if you have the lastest version you should. See this how to)

Step 4 - Download SuperSU v1.04 (UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip) and copy it to your sdcard (on the root of it. not in any folders) on your Nexus 7 tablet.

Step 5 - Make sure you have backup your data as it will be removed. Then switch OFF your Nexus 7.

Step 6 - Download recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3-grouper.img and copy/paste it in the C:\android-sdk\platform-toolss directory.

Step 7 - Now go into Fastboot Mode on Nexus 7. How? Press Volume Down + Power keys for a few seconds till you see some text on the screen. This is Bootloader Mode.

Step 8 - Navigate to C:\android-sdk\platform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).

Step 9 - Type in the following command and press Enter.
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3-grouper.img
Step 10 - Once completed, choose RECOVERY from the Fastboot menu and enter Recovery Mode.

Step 11 - Then scroll down to ?flash zip from SD card? and press the Power button to select it.

Step 12 - Press the Power button again and select ?choose zip from sdcard?.

Step 13 - Now using your volume keys, navigate to the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip file that you copied to your SD card and select it using the Power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.

Step 14 - After the installation completes, go to ?+++++Go Back? and reboot the phone by selecting ?reboot system now? from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now.

That?s it. Your Nexus 7 is now rooted on Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 software version of Jelly Bean and even has a custom CWM recovery installed. Check for the SuperSU app in your apps list to verify.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Or just use wugs tool kit and make life easier.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting for others... Toolkits should be banned for Nexus devices. If you don't know how to fastboot and flash a zip you shouldn't be unlocking your Nexus :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for posting for others... Toolkits should be banned for Nexus devices. If you don't know how to fastboot and flash a zip you shouldn't be unlocking your Nexus :)

I don't agree with this, as an android noob with only 2 devices, i sympathize with the new users who want to unlock their device yet don't know how to do everything just yet

Sent from yo moms house son!😎😎Using my SPH - L710 running AOKP Rom 4.1.2, now initiating Swagger

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Or maybe folks don't want to bother trying to setup the SDK or manipulate files. Around just that process alone can detour folks from flashing. Even Phil and Jerry where taking about this on last pod cast. I've been doing computers for 20 years and still can't type. Just cleaned my laptop of 20gb of android files. And yes I can do it manually but the tool kits make it easier and the added features make it icing on the cake

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

blaford

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know why I can't get windows to properly recognize the device? What is the correct driver?

Every time I try this I get a cmd prompt message "waiting for device."

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
if you got to the website that i linked to it will have the corrected drivers. but windows should of installed them when you plugged it in. could be a bad cable, also heard using the cable that came with the tablet helps and trying different ports
Anyone know why I can't get windows to properly recognize the device? What is the correct driver?

Every time I try this I get a cmd prompt message "waiting for device."

burnhard1925

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Do i need to unlock my nexus 7 device on fastboot? There is a message saying "LOCK STATE - LOCKED" at the bottom end text on fast boot mode.

I tried to input the command "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3-grouper.img" but it says

sending 'recovery' (6530 KB)...
FAILED (remote: Bootloader is locked.)
finished. total time: 0.022s

I'm want to be sure first because i bricked my nexus the last time i explore fast boot to downgrade version of jellybean. Good thing they replaced it with new one.

Hoping for your quick response guys. I'm currently trying to root my nexus device now.

Last edited:

bristolmrd

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
sorry but i disagree , there are some who's hobby are rooting phones . then the ones who use their phones see the exciting things that the people with the know how do , want that for theirs . i say kudos to the guys who make the simple programs for people to root and put on those exciting programs . remember these people who have never rooted a phone are scared of bricking their phones where they are unusable . im sure you feel confident when you root a phone and kudos to you for helping people when they get in trouble rooting , maybe some day those who use the simple programs will feel confident enough ( maybe when they buy another new one and start playing with the old one ) they will experiment .
mike

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
There are plenty of guides out there and it boils down to this: if you have a Nexus device and want to be a root user and/or ROM flasher you really don't have an excuse for using toolkits.

You install the drivers or the sdk. You unlock the bootloader with:
fastboot oem unlock

You download a recovery and boot it with:
fastboot boot recovery.img

And in that recovery you flash the SU zip for root.

That's it. 2 commands and about 3 steps for the basic things you need. Toolkits are not reliable all the time and you must know these basics if you are going to be able to troubleshoot at all. If those 2 commands and instructions are too much then you shouldn't be hacking into your device. That's how people assume they bricked stuff and get lost and panic when they usually have a very easily fixable situation on their hands.

Rather everyone learn to fish than me just point them towards the nearest Long John Silver's. It's pretty basic and simple.

:)

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Setting up SDK and moving files into proper folder is the hardest part and is really intimidating.
There are plenty of guides out there and it boils down to this: if you have a Nexus device and want to be a root user and/or ROM flasher you really don't have an excuse for using toolkits.

You install the drivers or the sdk. You unlock the bootloader with:
fastboot oem unlock

You download a recovery and boot it with:
fastboot boot recovery.img

And in that recovery you flash the SU zip for root.

That's it. 2 commands and about 3 steps for the basic things you need. Toolkits are not reliable all the time and you must know these basics if you are going to be able to troubleshoot at all. If those 2 commands and instructions are too much then you shouldn't be hacking into your device. That's how people assume they bricked stuff and get lost and panic when they usually have a very easily fixable situation on their hands.

Rather everyone learn to fish than me just point them towards the nearest Long John Silver's. It's pretty basic and simple.

:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2