Unlocking bootloader and rooting

phippsy84

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I am fairly new to messing around with my Nexus 7 and it is my only Nexus device. But I was wondering it seems like you can unlock the bootloader without having to root the device. However doesn't that defeat the purpose of unlocking the bootloader?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I am fairly new to messing around with my Nexus 7 and it is my only Nexus device. But I was wondering it seems like you can unlock the bootloader without having to root the device. However doesn't that defeat the purpose of unlocking the bootloader?

Perhaps you don't understand the purpose of unlocking the bootloader. In order to load custom software you need to unlock the bootloader and load up a custom recovery then you may install custom operating systems (ROMs). The purpose is not to root although once unlocked rooting is simple.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

phippsy84

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps you don't understand the purpose of unlocking the bootloader. In order to load custom software you need to unlock the bootloader and load up a custom recovery then you may install custom operating systems (ROMs). The purpose is not to root although once unlocked rooting is simple.

Little bit different then the S3 I use for my phone. Trying to learn more about my Nexus still before I do any kind of hacking.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Little bit different then the S3 I use for my phone. Trying to learn more about my Nexus still before I do any kind of hacking.

Its the same concept just both have different methods of achieving the end result

phippsy84

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Its the same concept just both have different methods of achieving the end result

True. Not sure if I would do much in the ways of flashing ROMS with my tablet. Also I do don't have much or an issue with having to restore things on my phone to install official systems after updates. Just don't know if I want to have to do that with the my Nexus 7.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay