Nexus 7: Screen Protectors?

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Anybody know where I can get a good screen protector? I usually use SGP but I don't see mention of a protector for the new N7 on their site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Screen Protectors?

Anybody know where I can get a good screen protector? I usually use SGP but I don't see mention of a protector for the new N7 on their site.

A good question is did the dimensions change? (I am legitimately asking because I haven't kept up with knowledge of the new Nexus other than it is out) If not, then would the one for the first edition be ok to use?

TheLegoman

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site

A good question is did the dimensions change? (I am legitimately asking because I haven't kept up with knowledge of the new Nexus other than it is out) If not, then would the one for the first edition be ok to use?

The dimensions have changed with the new Nexus 7, so you will not be able to use the screen protectors from the first gen Nexus 7

Posted via Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

The dimensions of the screen itself did not change, but the dimensions of the bezel area changed quite a bit.

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

I hope we do not have to wait very long......SPG is the only one I will use. I had one on my N7 first gen since day one and it was awesome. I liked the feel of it over the bare glass.

On my new N7 2013.....without any screen saver on it.....my finger slides too easy like the glass has silicone on it. I had a hard time moving icons around at first.

The SPG crystal clear is the one i used.....could not even tell there was anything on the glass besides its feel. It goes on dry and quickly, no bubbles with applying it. Can't say enough about them!

Sleepyyyy

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site

I like sgp spigen. What I really prefer is clarivue. I get it on all my devices. Would anyone happen to have a clarivue coupon code? Thanks

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

You can order the SPIGEN Google Nexus 7 FHD Screen Protector Clear [Ultra Crystal] Premium Clear Film Cover Shield for $12.99 w/free shipping from Amazon.

That looks good, but it's only one protector, right? I rarely get a perfect install the first time, so I vastly prefer 3-packs, easier on my nerves, since any bit of dust or a bubble would drive me nuts.

That said, how necessary is a screen protector on the new Nexus? Mine will be in a case, and I'm generally easy on my devices. I didn't get one for the Nook and have been fine so far, but the Nexus 7 at a hundred dollars more worries me some. It will also see every day carry use.

Sent from my Nook HD+

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

Please post on how you like the iLLumiSheild when it comes, this is one that looked good to me based on reviews of their phone screen protectors! Thanks!

Sent from my Nook HD+

Just came in today. I'll install later with pics and initial reactions.

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

So far I like the iLLumiShield. The cutouts align pretty well. There's a third cutout for the notification light which I think is weird, but it had that same cutout on the Skinomi screen protector I ordered so I guess it's standard. Fills the screen up and my fingers can move across it with ease. It's done fairly well against fingerprints and doesn't cause any decrease in picture quality. I like that it came in a three-pack as well. The first I tried to apply got too much dirt/dust on the adhesive side and it was driving me nuts. Even if you do get some specks left in there, the anti-bubble properties of the protector do well to remove any bubbling that might happen due to it. For the price, I think it's a good buy.

pete1118

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site

Using the ASUS one here, dry application, comes with glossy and matte, I am using the glossy, no better no worse than stock screen with no saver. More expensive than the SPIGEN though. If the ASUS one does not last well will try the SPIGEN. Have always used ZAGG in the past but I really like the dry application on the ASUS and SPIGEN.

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

bill thanks for that info......don't know why i did not check Amazon. $9 less is a big difference for sure. I sent them a message and hope they send me a PP credit or allow me to cancel my ebay order and then reorder through Azon.

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

No need for multiple pieces. The SPG's go on very easy and are extremely tuff while being clear with almost 0 distortion.

Biggest reason I like the SPG UC one is because after a full year on my first gen N7, it was still in perfect shape. It also feels much better for me to touch as the bare glass on the new N7 feels like it has silicone on it to me....its hard for me to make stable contact at times. Also it helps cut way down on fingerprints.

They go on dry and pretty easy to get a perfect no bubble application.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

So far I like the iLLumiShield. The cutouts align pretty well. There's a third cutout for the notification light which I think is weird, but it had that same cutout on the Skinomi screen protector I ordered so I guess it's standard. Fills the screen up and my fingers can move across it with ease. It's done fairly well against fingerprints and doesn't cause any decrease in picture quality. I like that it came in a three-pack as well. The first I tried to apply got too much dirt/dust on the adhesive side and it was driving me nuts. Even if you do get some specks left in there, the anti-bubble properties of the protector do well to remove any bubbling that might happen due to it. For the price, I think it's a good buy.

Thanks for the report! I used one from TechArmor for my husbands Nexus 7 last year with perfect results, but have not seen any yet from that company for the new model.

Sent from my Nook HD+