nexus 7 hdmi

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
What cable do I need for my nexus 7 which will allow me to watch my tablet stuff through my TV?
Thanks in advance
You need a SlimPort adapter cable.

Look for SlimPort SP1002. When Amazon sold them they used to be $30. The current vendors seem to be selling at a premium.

There are also some unbranded ones on ebay that fewer people have tried but cost less.

Chromecast doesn't stream what is on the tablet. The streaming plugin only works for PC chrome. w/o the streaming plugin, the only things Chromecast can view is what it supports internally, with the tablet acting like a remote control.

That may be all you want or you may want everything on your tablet displayed, in which case slimport is a better choice.

Last edited:

inphoenix

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
When I got my Nexus 4, I started checking into the Slimport SP1002 adapter. I didn't end up buying it. Now that I have two devices that support Slimport, I'm looking to get one.

The problem is that they appear a little hard to come by at the moment. eBay has a few SP1002's, but the prices range from $40-$50 with shipping. Amazon is sold out. There's another Slimport adapter from Analogix that's just a micro USB to HDMI cable. I saw it for around $60, but it doesn't allow for charging (the SP1002 does). There might be a new model in the works.

I do have Chromecast and it's great for the apps that natively support it (YouTube, Netflix, Google Movies & TV). I haven't tried the Aircast beta yet. Koush's stuff is always awesome, but Aircast looks like it streams video only from the Gallery, Drive, and Dropbox (for now). Presently, the only ways to mirror the Nexus 7's display is through a Slimport adapter or Miracast, so if you need mirroring (say to display a Chrome tab from your Nexus 7 on your TV), those are the ways to go.

I have to believe that we'll be able to display Chrome tabs from Nexus devices via Chromecast soon enough (you can from a Mac or PC right now), but Slimport and Miracast are the only mirroring solutions at the moment.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I wish you wouldn't contribute to the marketing media blitz by talking about something that doesn't exist.
I'm sure a beta TEST software item is exactly what the OP was looking for. :confused:

As to what the OP was looking for, it's fairly certain she is looking for a solution to her needs and expressed that in terms of the cable as it's a solution that had been suggested to her. While the actual cable adapter was identified in the second response, I don't think she will be bothered by someone suggesting alternatives with relative pros and cons, whether those alternatives be currently available or in development, so that she can make a more informed decision about what best works for her.

A large portion of what is talked about on these forums are products/services/features that don't exist or don't exist yet, but in which people would/will/do have an interest. There's nothing wrong with someone talking about such a solution that is, whether it matures into a full release or not, in development, and it's entirely possible that some eventual solutions may indeed benefit by their developers having gained insight into what will provide greater value to their product by having seen elements expressed in that form in these forums.

As it stands, it's entirely possible that the product for which the beta (saying 'test' and 'beta' together is redundant) software item represents a commitment at least in intent (in conjunction in use with Chromecast, in the context it was referenced) may indeed be exactly what the OP is looking for as a solution she might otherwise have been unaware. Of course, it may not, and the cable might be the ideal. But at least now she can make that decision for herself.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I finally got an Analogix Slimport adapter I ordered from Amazon in the mail today. Some were available for $30, but they may be gone at this point. There were four left when I checked earlier this week.

It works perfectly with my TV, which is an older 720p rear projection LCD. I didn't plug in external power to the adapter. There was no lag whatsoever and sound worked fine. Because my TV only has one HDMI in, I had to plug the adapter into an HDMI switch, which then goes to my receiver, which then outputs the video signal to my TV. Still no lag, but I don't know if that's because it wasn't having to output 1080p.

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have an MHL adapter (with and without the extra S4 adapter) and it does not work with the Nexus 7 2013.
I bought an official Slimport brand one for $30 on Amazon and it work perfectly. I stream movies and play games on a 52" Plasma and it looks fantastic. I would not gamble with offbrand, just get the official Slimport model, it is also much slimmer and fits in a nice neoprene sleeve I have for the tablet just fine.

Side Note: I hate how people are just saying to get Chromecast not knowing that you want to sent to your television, yes it would be fantastic IF Chromecast mirrored your tablet, but it does not. It receives signals from specific programs that are programed for it and that is it.

Also: I have found that the Xfinity Player app (If you have Comcast) will not work with Slimport. You get an interesting error that says to remove the external display before it will play any videos. (annoying)

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I have found that the Xfinity Player app (If you have Comcast) will not work with Slimport. You get an interesting error that says to remove the external display before it will play any videos. (annoying)

Good to know - that was one of the key functionalities I was hoping to gain from picking one up.

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Glad to give you a heads up, I do not know about other apps but i was annoyed to find out that Xfinity stops it from working. Not sure if the same thing would happen with Miracast or not.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I have an MHL adapter (with and without the extra S4 adapter) and it does not work with the Nexus 7 2013.
I bought an official Slimport brand one for $30 on Amazon and it work perfectly. I stream movies and play games on a 52" Plasma and it looks fantastic. I would not gamble with offbrand, just get the official Slimport model, it is also much slimmer and fits in a nice neoprene sleeve I have for the tablet just fine.

Side Note: I hate how people are just saying to get Chromecast not knowing that you want to sent to your television, yes it would be fantastic IF Chromecast mirrored your tablet, but it does not. It receives signals from specific programs that are programed for it and that is it.

Also: I have found that the Xfinity Player app (If you have Comcast) will not work with Slimport. You get an interesting error that says to remove the external display before it will play any videos. (annoying)

I didn't remember anything appearing Slimport 'branded'. Is it this one? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009UZBLS...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3026825

The description says $30 but there are none available for under $100 right now.

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
That is the exact one I have and it works great. I got it for $30. It looks like price gougers destroyed the market for a while. I would suggest waiting a bit, $30 is the average price for one and I would not pay much more than that.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I did find an instance where the Analogix Slimport adapter I bought didn't work. I tried to use my Nexus 7 to display a presentation for a college class I teach. The classroom has an installed A/V system with a projector in the ceiling and HDMI inputs on the podium. When I plugged in my Nexus 7, the projector wouldn't display anything from the Nexus 7 even though an on-screen info box showed the projector was detecting a 1080p signal. I have no idea what the school has installed in terms of hardware. Since my Nexus 7 works elsewhere, there's an incompatibility with the room's A/V system that I won't be able to figure out easily.

Just be aware that if you plan to use a Slimport adapter and Nexus 7 for presentations, try it out beforehand to see if it works. The adapter works with every other TV/Receiver I've tried.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I did find an instance where the Analogix Slimport adapter I bought didn't work. I tried to use my Nexus 7 to display a presentation for a college class I teach. The classroom has an installed A/V system with a projector in the ceiling and HDMI inputs on the podium. When I plugged in my Nexus 7, the projector wouldn't display anything from the Nexus 7 even though an on-screen info box showed the projector was detecting a 1080p signal. I have no idea what the school has installed in terms of hardware. Since my Nexus 7 works elsewhere, there's an incompatibility with the room's A/V system that I won't be able to figure out easily.

Just be aware that if you plan to use a Slimport adapter and Nexus 7 for presentations, try it out beforehand to see if it works. The adapter works with every other TV/Receiver I've tried.
Sometimes those projector systems don't support HDCP, especially if they were designed for computers vs consumer AV equipment.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon