Tempered Glass Screen Protectors

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have any thoughts/experience with tempered glass screen protectors? If not on the new N7, on other phones/tablets? It sounds like it would be wonderful in concept, but I'm hoping for feedback of how it performs in actual usage.

Also, the part of the description that reads "Almost bubble free installation" has me wondering if this means it's virtually impossible to manage a flawless installation, or that's just the company's setting of a reasonable expectation for most people.

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have any thoughts/experience with tempered glass screen protectors? If not on the new N7, on other phones/tablets? It sounds like it would be wonderful in concept, but I'm hoping for feedback of how it performs in actual usage.

Also, the part of the description that reads "Almost bubble free installation" has me wondering if this means it's virtually impossible to manage a flawless installation, or that's just the company's setting of a reasonable expectation for most people.

they are awesome! to each there own though, i much prefer it over the generic plastic sp its glass and as smooth as can be.
1. flawless installation is that if you take all the precautions necessary then it should go smooth. i can tell you this of the 3 i personally installed all went well no dust particles no lint all is clear.
2. glass is smooth and less prone to scratches depending on the hardness level
3. no screen touch lag
4. if your phone has physical buttons make sure you order from a company that will ship button overlays afterall the glass adds some thickness and some buttons will be recessed

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback!

I generally use the 'shower' trick for SP installs and have virtually no problems with lint/bubbles, but the verbiage in the product description left me inclined to seek actual user experience. Good to know it's feasible. Also, no physical buttons on the screen, so non -issue for the N7 :D

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback!

I generally use the 'shower' trick for SP installs and have virtually no problems with lint/bubbles, but the verbiage in the product description left me inclined to seek actual user experience. Good to know it's feasible. Also, no physical buttons on the screen, so non -issue for the N7 :D

looks like a glass protector is the way to go, one more thing i like about the glass is when you remove the backing you can actually hold the glass as you hover over the device to align it no static pulling it down to the surface like plastic ones. :) gd luck!

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback!

Whats the shower trick?

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I just bought my first glass screen protector for my GS4 and I love it. it was also much easier to put on than the traditional plastic ones.

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Whats the shower trick?

from another forums:

if you realllllllly want no hassle, i say steam up your bathroom a little bit. just a little fog on your mirror will do. make sure it's well lit. lay the protector down to get an idea of how you want it. next, peel off the side that sticks to the screen. start by either laying the bottom or top into place first. next, start to lay it down, but make sure to lay one side down more than the other. this way, you can tell if it's going to line up correctly, and if it doesn't then you can just pick it right back up and try again. do this until you get it lined up good. it's really easy imo.

edit: oh, after you get it on, then peel off the other side. good to go.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
from another forums:

if you realllllllly want no hassle, i say steam up your bathroom a little bit. just a little fog on your mirror will do. make sure it's well lit. lay the protector down to get an idea of how you want it. next, peel off the side that sticks to the screen. start by either laying the bottom or top into place first. next, start to lay it down, but make sure to lay one side down more than the other. this way, you can tell if it's going to line up correctly, and if it doesn't then you can just pick it right back up and try again. do this until you get it lined up good. it's really easy imo.

edit: oh, after you get it on, then peel off the other side. good to go.

^^

Basically the steam will collect and trap all the dust particles as it condenses. Makes for a much cleaner environment. Just run the shower on hot for a few minutes, shut it off and leave the door to the bathroom closed for about 5 minutes longer, and you should be good to go.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I've now received and applied this screen protector.

In a single word, "bestscreenprotectorI'veeverused" (that's a real word, right?).

For starters, the glass didn't seem to attract what few specks of dust were in the air to it as do film protectors. It was cut perfectly which meant it was tricky to line up just right on the screen, but when I misaligned it the first time it easily pulled up for reapplication the second, where I got it right - an issue I've had with film protectors with this is that sometimes they have very light stress marks or stretching when pulling them back that can cause some minimal rainbow effect.

With the exception of a minor defect in mine, on which I'm awaiting a response from i-Blason (two unreturned calls so far - hoping they're just busy...), the few bubbles that were present on initial application swept out completely in about 5 seconds with direct strokes. Compared to film protectors, in which my experience bubble removal can be likened to one of those puzzles where you tilt a box to get a ball to navigate through a maze to an exit, this was a delight.

The defect in mine is a small imperfection in either the silicon adhesive or the interior of the glass which creates a small spot on the screen generating about a 1cm bubble. Other than that, this protector is flawless.

Outside of that, it would take close inspection along the edges to be able to discern that it isn't the actual screen itself. None of the rainbow, orange peel, or other artifacts generally found with other screen protectors either initially or invariably over time, and I hope and expect the tempered glass to stand up to actual usage without showing the wear that a softer film protector eventually does.

Oleophobic coating works well. Comparing the mark left by my thumbprint on it to that left immediately afterwards on the back (non-oleophobic) glass of a Nexus 4, the one on the tablet was nearly imperceptible, and wiped away easily.

This isn't a cheap SP, but it's not terribly more expensive than the best of the film protectors, and in addition to having better 'invisibility' it should offer more (though still not substantial) protection against impact.

Providing i-Blason steps up to the plate in terms of customer service, I'll give this a thorough thumbs-up.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I've now received and applied this screen protector.

In a single word, "bestscreenprotectorI'veeverused" (that's a real word, right?).

For starters, the glass didn't seem to attract what few specks of dust were in the air to it as do film protectors. It was cut perfectly which meant it was tricky to line up just right on the screen, but when I misaligned it the first time it easily pulled up for reapplication the second, where I got it right - an issue I've had with film protectors with this is that sometimes they have very light stress marks or stretching when pulling them back that can cause some minimal rainbow effect.

With the exception of a minor defect in mine, on which I'm awaiting a response from i-Blason (two unreturned calls so far - hoping they're just busy...), the few bubbles that were present on initial application swept out completely in about 5 seconds with direct strokes. Compared to film protectors, in which my experience bubble removal can be likened to one of those puzzles where you tilt a box to get a ball to navigate through a maze to an exit, this was a delight.

The defect in mine is a small imperfection in either the silicon adhesive or the interior of the glass which creates a small spot on the screen generating about a 1cm bubble. Other than that, this protector is flawless.

Outside of that, it would take close inspection along the edges to be able to discern that it isn't the actual screen itself. None of the rainbow, orange peel, or other artifacts generally found with other screen protectors either initially or invariably over time, and I hope and expect the tempered glass to stand up to actual usage without showing the wear that a softer film protector eventually does.

Oleophobic coating works well. Comparing the mark left by my thumbprint on it to that left immediately afterwards on the back (non-oleophobic) glass of a Nexus 4, the one on the tablet was nearly imperceptible, and wiped away easily.

This isn't a cheap SP, but it's not terribly more expensive than the best of the film protectors, and in addition to having better 'invisibility' it should offer more (though still not substantial) protection against impact.

Providing i-Blason steps up to the plate in terms of customer service, I'll give this a thorough thumbs-up.

So does it just feel like there isn't a protector on it at all?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana