Has anyone tried adding a magnet to official Asus case?

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
The fact that they didn't add this obvious feature is mind boggling. I was wondering how strong does the magnet have to be..... maybe possible to slip a thin magnetic strip in the cover?
I still haven't seen a better looking cover (although Amazon feedback scares me).

Ralston McPherson

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
The fact that they didn't add this obvious feature is mind boggling. I was wondering how strong does the magnet have to be..... maybe possible to slip a thin magnetic strip in the cover?
I still haven't seen a better looking cover (although Amazon feedback scares me).

Mmmmm....if my experience (albeit limited) is anything to go by, I would advise against adding a magnet! I bought my Nexus 7 a few weeks back and all was going very well, no hang ups, crashing etc as have been experienced by some. Then for no reason I could deduce at tyhe time, it began crashing randomly, when moving it, using the volume switch etc. Well this coincided with mt wife picking up a case for the tablet, a Gnarlyfish' folding hardback case into which the tablet fitted nicely and the magnetic catch was just perfect.....or so I thought. I have now discovered that out of the case, after a factory reset, it works perfectly. As soon as I put it in the aforementioned case, the tablet starts randomly crashing once more. Seems 'Nexus' (at least mine) is not into magnets! I did drop a line to Google Service support advising them of this phenomena but have yet to hear from them. As I say, out of the case, the tablet performs flawlessly.....but not in this case. No brainer really now I have sussed it. Having a said that, my son has an Apple Mini pad and he has a case that locks with a magnet and he has had no problems at all! Go figure.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Mmmmm....if my experience (albeit limited) is anything to go by, I would advise against adding a magnet! I bought my Nexus 7 a few weeks back and all was going very well, no hang ups, crashing etc as have been experienced by some. Then for no reason I could deduce at tyhe time, it began crashing randomly, when moving it, using the volume switch etc. Well this coincided with mt wife picking up a case for the tablet, a Gnarlyfish' folding hardback case into which the tablet fitted nicely and the magnetic catch was just perfect.....or so I thought. I have now discovered that out of the case, after a factory reset, it works perfectly. As soon as I put it in the aforementioned case, the tablet starts randomly crashing once more. Seems 'Nexus' (at least mine) is not into magnets! I did drop a line to Google Service support advising them of this phenomena but have yet to hear from them. As I say, out of the case, the tablet performs flawlessly.....but not in this case. No brainer really now I have sussed it. Having a said that, my son has an Apple Mini pad and he has a case that locks with a magnet and he has had no problems at all! Go figure.

Your experience is not the norm. These devices are made to wake/sleep with magnets, and a properly placed magnet closure shouldn't bother them either. I would guess your issues stem from a poorly designed case.

That said, the experience you'll get from adding magnets to a case is going to depend on you choosing the right magnet strength, and placing them properly. Considering there are great cases available for around ten bucks on Amazon (personal great experience with Poetic Slimline), it doesn't seem worth the hassle to me.

maxnexus

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I think you are correct. I had a similar problem and after disecting the offending case found that a feature of its design was a metal strip which extended the entire length of the case which had become magnetized from the magnets fitted at the corners of the case. This metal strip was incorporated in the design of the case to provide rigidity to the rear edge of the case where the tablet was retained. Simply a poor design . I mention the above in the hope that when nexus 7 owners look to purchase a case, check what materials are incorporated in the case and if ferrous metals' other than the small magnets and contacts, are used, beware!
I will check out the poetic slimline as you suggest. Thanks.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke