My Charger Stopped Working!

richv77

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Update: I called ASUS yesterday and they want me to send in the bad charger adapter. They sent me an RMA label.

I noticed yesterday that my charger for my Nexus 7 (2013) doesn't work but the USB cable seems to be fine. I can't say I used it more than once per week and it was never dropped.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am going to Staples to purchase a new one tonight.I don't think they carry the ASUS brand though. Will that be a problem?

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich

Last edited:

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Update: I called ASUS yesterday and they want me to send in the bad charger adapter. They sent me an RMA label.

I noticed yesterday that my charger for my Nexus 7 (2013) doesn't work but the USB cable seems to be fine. I can't say I used it more than once per week and it was never dropped.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am going to Staples to purchase a new one tonight.I don't think they carry the ASUS brand though. Will that be a problem?

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich

Hi Rich,

I'm having this same problem all of a sudden. How did this turn out for you?

Thanks,

Matt

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
No need to worry about the ASUS brand, etc. That's the beauty of a universal charging standard. If you're buying locally, there's really only one thing you need to pay attention to: amp rating. I can't recall the exact amperage of the charger included with the Nexus 7 2013, I want to say it's in the 1.3-1.4a range. You want a charger is rated for at least as much as the included charger, preferably more. The device being charged regulates the charging rate, so if you buy a charger rated for 2.0a, and your device is made to charge at 1.4a, it will only pull 1.4a, and will not harm the device or charger. The beauty of getting a higher rated charger is if later you buy another device that charges at a higher rating. Now you already have an extra charger for that new device.

There are rare occasions where there is a slight difference in the setup of the charger, which can cause a device not to charge. The Nexus 7 2013 is not very finicky about this, so it's unlikely that will be a problem. If you're buying local, you can always return the charger if it doesn't work (if you have a longer drive to the store, you might want to test it quickly at the store before a long drive home). If you're buying online, read some reviews and see if anyone has commented on your device with that charger.

richv77

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Matt, I am still waiting for ASUS to get back to me. Last week I sent them my faulty charging adapter via FedEx.
Luckily I already had a third party USB charger that works with the new Nexus 7.

Hopefully they will send me a new one soon.

I called Google Nexus Support and they connected me with ASUS Support -

United States (855) 836-3987 24 hours a day, seven days a week

Good luck there.

-Rich

Hi Rich,

I'm having this same problem all of a sudden. How did this turn out for you?

Thanks,

Matt

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
This played out much differently for me.

I contacted Google Play support from my Google Wallet transactions page and opened a ticket. Several emails later, I finally called in and this is what they are doing. They're going to RMA the whole device! Just to replace the charger and cable. lol And they assured me I'm not going to get a refurbished unit but a brand new one.

So they are placing an order for a new device for me and a hold on the credit card until they get the "defective" device.

This seems ridiculous for a faulty charging cable (the AC adapter seems to work just fine) but so be it Google. So be it.