08-11-2013 04:09 PM
33 12
tools
    Got it, thanks. I suppose the guide was talking about the MPT to dag n drop. Fast reply!!! =)

edited: thanks for the driver link! (still digesting). Btw, I'm using Windows 7 64bits.
    08-08-2013 12:12 AM
    edited: thanks for the driver link! (still digesting). Btw, I'm using Windows 7 64bits.
    The driver inf should be good for all versions of windows. It only fixes the problem of MTP mode not being recognized with usb debugging enabled *on the stock ROM*

There is a different issue with some custom ROMs where even if you get the PC to recognize the MTP device, the custom ROM has some issue where it doesn't initialize the MTP support properly.
    08-08-2013 12:34 AM
    Okay, good to know. Much appreciated for your efforts in helping and explaining all along. Will post my result once my Nexus arrive this or next week the latest.
    08-08-2013 12:40 AM
    So I mentioned above that root, by itself, wouldn't affect your ability to get OTAs.

Due to the way SuperSU implements the "survive OTA" feature there is a caveat.

I actually went through the process of flashing JWR66N, rooting, then applying the JSS15J OTA.

What I found is that SuperSU actually does cause the OTA to fail somewhere near the end when it is setting permissions. All the files are patched successfully however there is a failure when the OTA tries to unpack the new recovery. This is due to SuperSU install marking a file immutable to support its "survive OTA" feature. If you undo this attribute change on the one file, the OTA works fine, all the way to the end.

If you do not undo the change, effectively you'll have all the files for the JSS15J ROM, except your build fingerprint will still say JWR66N and your recovery will be from JWR66N. You'll still be running JSS15J, the system will just tell you you are running JWR66N.

Apologize for the confusion. If there is interest I can provide instructions on how you can run SuperSU for root and still be able to have OTAs install successfully.
    08-10-2013 10:08 PM
    So I mentioned above that root, by itself, wouldn't affect your ability to get OTAs.

Due to the way SuperSU implements the "survive OTA" feature there is a caveat.

I actually went through the process of flashing JWR66N, rooting, then applying the JSS15J OTA.

What I found is that SuperSU actually does cause the OTA to fail somewhere near the end when it is setting permissions. All the files are patched successfully however there is a failure when the OTA tries to unpack the new recovery. This is due to SuperSU install marking a file immutable to support its "survive OTA" feature. If you undo this attribute change on the one file, the OTA works fine, all the way to the end.

If you do not undo the change, effectively you'll have all the files for the JSS15J ROM, except your build fingerprint will still say JWR66N and your recovery will be from JWR66N. You'll still be running JSS15J, the system will just tell you you are running JWR66N.

Apologize for the confusion. If there is interest I can provide instructions on how you can run SuperSU for root and still be able to have OTAs install successfully.
    Hi, thanks for testing out the whole process for me. I'm not sure if I get you right since I'm confused since aren't JWR66N & JSS15J the same thing; android stock 4.3 OS?

And yes, if you have time, please provide me with the instruction that youd mentioned above about fixing Super and still be able to have OTAs install in the future. (the undo fix won't conflict with rooting & SuperSu on the deivce right? and do I do the fix after rooting it first since you already did yours prior? )

I don't think I will need to restore back to stock 4.3 if SuperSu is working correctly and that I can update OTA on my device. Just needed an stock backup just for cases like the updates are filled with bugs so I can downgrade back and wait for the bug fixes etc. Also my device won't deliver until Tuesday and I will need some time to make sure my deivce is not faulty before I try all the rooting process... to be sure.
    08-11-2013 02:54 AM
    Hi, thanks for testing out the whole process for me. I'm not sure if I get you right since I'm confused since aren't JWR66N & JSS15J the same thing; android stock 4.3 OS?
    JWR66N is the Android 4.3 that the tablet shipped with.
    JSS15J is a newer Android 4.3 that came as an OTA update (that patches JWR66N).

You'll get 2 OTA updates when you start your tablet. Your tablet shipped with JWR66N-devkeys. You'll get an immediate OTA right after you set up wifi to change JWR66N-devkeys to JWR66N-releasekeys. This is a very small OTA, maybe around 500kb. Then you'll need to enter your wifi info again and continue setting up the tablet. Sometime later your tablet will download a 2nd OTA which updates JWR66N-releasekeys->JSS15J. This OTA update is around 51MB so takes a little more time to download.

And yes, if you have time, please provide me with the instruction that youd mentioned above about fixing Super and still be able to have OTAs install in the future. (the undo fix won't conflict with rooting & SuperSu on the deivce right? and do I do the fix after rooting it first since you already did yours prior? )
    I am attaching an UPDATE-SuperSU-ota.zip you can run in TWRP right AFTER you install UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.51.zip.

It won't conflict with rooting or SuperSU. Everything will work fine.

You'll of course need to reinstall UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.51.zip (and UPDATE-SuperSU-ota.zip) AFTER any future OTA updates because OTA updates always reset permissions on the su binaries.

I don't think I will need to restore back to stock 4.3 if SuperSu is working correctly and that I can update OTA on my device. Just needed an stock backup just for cases like the updates are filled with bugs so I can downgrade back and wait for the bug fixes etc. Also my device won't deliver until Tuesday and I will need some time to make sure my deivce is not faulty before I try all the rooting process... to be sure.
    Yes, that is good planning. Just make sure you do your TWRP backup as the first step, prior to installing SuperSU, otherwise your backup will have root, so you wouldn't be able to use it to back out to the pre-root stage. You could always just uninstall SuperSU, but some people feel more comfortable having a backup prior to installing root so they know for sure everything is stock.
    Attached Files
    mikemike162012 likes this.
    08-11-2013 05:02 AM
    I am attaching an UPDATE-SuperSU-ota.zip you can run in TWRP right AFTER you install UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.51.zip.

It won't conflict with rooting or SuperSU. Everything will work fine.
    After rooting install SuperSu`and reboot.
    So, to install the fix I put the UPDATE-SuperSU-ota.zip file into my device MPT (same location as I did for the SuperSu.zip file), I then type command:

" adb reboot bootloader "
    " fastboot boot twrp.img "
    " install UPDATE-SuperSU-ota.zip "

and reboot to finish the process, correct?

*** i just noticed I forgot to ask this regarding zip files, do I need to unzip them before I place them into the device?
    08-11-2013 03:08 PM
    After rooting install SuperSu`and reboot.
    So, to install the fix I put the UPDATE-SuperSU-ota.zip file into my device MPT (same location as I did for the SuperSu.zip file), I then type command:

and reboot to finish the process, correct?
    Yes, that is correct. Although I would just do it this way (to save a reboot cycle)
    " install UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.51.zip "

*** i just noticed I forgot to ask this regarding zip files, do I need to unzip them before I place them into the device?
    It depends on the context. Some zip files are meant to be unpacked some are not. Usually if the zip is installing something, you leave it as a zip file. Usually if the zip is just being used as an archive to store/compress some files, then you unpack it. For example, if someone gives you a stock recovery image, usually they will zip it to save space, but they won't provide an installer. In this case, you would unpack the zip file to get the .img file and use that .img file to flash using fastboot.

The easy way to tell is to open the zip file. If you see a META-INF directory, it is meant to be left as a zip file and installed using twrp (or other custom recovery). The OTAs are special signed installer zip files that are meant to run in stock recovery. Depending on platform and what updates they are doing, the OTA updates can sometimes run in custom recovery but sometimes may lead to bad things happening. That is because if the OTAs are updating bootloader, radio, and other low-level stuff, sometimes they have special hooks in the stock recovery to process those functions which aren't available in the custom recoveries. If all the OTA is doing is patching some files then it'll work in both stock and custom recoveries.

So to answer your question, in this case both UPDATE-SuperSU zip files are meant to be left as zip files.

The zip file you got twrp from is meant to be unpacked to give you twrp.img
    08-11-2013 04:09 PM
33 12