[How-To] Root and install Custom recovery Windows + Mac

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
3281072.png

Table Of Contents
1. Disclaimer/Requirements(for windows) 2. Back it up! 3. Rooting on Windows 4. Lets Flash TWRP/ CWM 5. MOAR POWER - "dmmarack" - none will add as i test 6. Rooting On Mac

DISCLAIMER: Rooting your phone will void your warranty, and can be dangerous. You may end up with a ?bricked? device if anything goes wrong. I take no responsibility if something happens to your device. If you are ever in doubt STOP! This is not something to take lightly

Firstly make sure you have all following files

Requirments
1. Windows based machine 2. 80% battery or more 3. Please Enable USB debugging 4. Proper Drivers Android SDK | Android Developers 5. Fastboot - Dev-Host - Nexus 7 Bootloader Unlocking Files.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service Please make sure you meet requirements before proceeding

3312339.png

2205209.jpg

So Lets Backup

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

3312355.png
Rooting On Windows!

-First enable Developer options by going to Settings ? About tablet ? and tap build number 7 times

-Now open Developer options from settings (right above ?About tablet?) ? tap on USB debugging ? tap Ok to confirm

-Connect your Nexus 7 to computer after enabling USB debugging. A pop-up menu may appear on your tablet now asking you to authorize USB debugging for the connected PC → tap Ok or Yes

-Now open the folder where you extracted the downloaded nexus7-fastboot-files.zip file

-Look for the 1-click-nexus-7-bootloader-unlock.bat script file inside the folder and execute it by double clicking on it
..If the script hangs on the < waiting for device > for a long time (say 2 minute) then that means you?ve a drivers or some connectivity related issue on your computer. To troubleshoot this, follow the drivers installation guide link provided above

-After a few seconds, a screen will show up on your Nexus 7 asking you to accept the Bootloader unlocking request. Accept it by selecting Yes using the Volume button and then press the Power button to confirm

3312365.png

Now that you have a unlocked bootloader lets install TWRP to your device...

- Download TWRP 2.6.6 where you can find it

- Rename it to "openrecovery-twrp-2.6.0.0-flo.img" to "recovery-twrp.img"

- Copy "recovery-twrp.img into the root of C:\fastboot

- Open Cmd prompt in windows (press start and enter cmd) !REMINDER! Run as administrator!

- Type C:\fastboot into CMD prompt

- Now boot device into Fastboot by holding Volume Up & Down along with power until you see the green button saying start (fastboot menu)

- Press Volume up a couple times until "Recovery Mode" appears, press power button to confirm

- Now connect your device to computer via usb

- Type into CMD Prompt "fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp.img"

- Twrp recovery will be installed to device :)

- Download Superuser to device either via pc connection or fro device browser

- Power off device*

- Boot into recovery... Hold volume up & volume down along with power

- Once in recovery press volume up until you see "Recovery Mode" Press power button to confirm

- In TWRP select install ... locate & select where you downloaded Superuser*

- Use " Swipe to confirm flash" button to flash zip

- You should eventually see "successful" after flashing*

- Press Reboot system!

Once TWRP is installed you can flash ClockWorkMod
Download​

Step1. Download the flashable zip file from the link above, and copy it to your device?s storage.

Step2. Reboot the device into recovery.

Step3. Tap ?Install? and flash the zip file you downloaded in step 1.​

Last edited:

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Tutorial: How to Root and install Custom recovery

Thanks man!

If we were motivated by money, we would have sold the company a long time ago and ended up on a beach.
-Larry Page

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I have heard from 2 people that it has worked via android teen... But remember its at your own risk and even if your mess it up you have a good chance of fixing it

If we were motivated by money, we would have sold the company a long time ago and ended up on a beach.
-Larry Page

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Macs only!

How Do I Use These Toolkit?
1. Download the toolkit of your choice using the links below.

2. Unzip the file and click on click on the green Android icon.

3. Enter your phone into bootloader mode:
First power off your tablet and make sure it's unplugged then,press the volume up, volume down, and power button all at the same time. When your phone vibrates let go of the power button, but keep holding onto the volume up and down button. You will now see a green start screen.

4. Follow directions on the screen.

Download links for Macs!
One Click Root Toolkit- Download: TheNew.Nexus7Root.zip | DownloadAndroidFiles

One-Click TeamWin Recovery Toolkit- Download: TheNew.Nexus 7 TWRP.zip | DownloadAndroidFiles

One-Click Unlock Bootloader Toolkit- Download: Unlock Bootloader The New Nexus 7.zip | DownloadAndroidFiles

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Do you know how?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Yes...

-Larry Page

Wait... Both methods work but only one works on windows and I made a tutorial for Mac also... Which has been verified by android teen and xda... Also if it works for you will you vouch for me

-Larry Page

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Wait... Both methods work but only one works on windows and I made a tutorial for Mac also... Which has been verified by android teen and xda... Also if it works for you will you vouch for me

-Larry Page

Cool can you post the link?

Thanks

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Could you please post the XDA link? The Android Teen link doesn't discuss how to unlock the bootloader on a mac.

Thanks again

-Larry Page

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana