What Rom and Kernel do you recommend for me?

junowatitis15

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for a Rom that is 100% stabled, has no bloatware, smooth and customizable. I'm also looking for a kernel that is exellent for gaming as well as stability too. What Rom and Kernel makes the ultimate duo?
Thank you :)
Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but no ROM is 100% stable and no duo is ultimate to everyone. Just going to have to try them out and see what u think. Just some pointers: ROMs don't effect performance other than to lag the system more or less, Kernels do effect performance with optimizations and OC. Just make sure you try at least one of each ROM type to see what you like - AOKP, AOSP, CM, and optimized Stock.

Last edited:

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If you are new to ROM's try CleanRom 2.1 and Bulletproof kernel. (these are for 4.4)

I have been using CleanROM's across many devices. Known for their stability. They are exactly what you are asking for.

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but no ROM is 100% stable and no duo is ultimate to everyone. Just going to have to try them out and see what u think. Just some pointers: ROMs don't effect performance other than to lag the system more or less, Kernels do effect performance with optimizations and OC. Just make sure you try at least one of each ROM type to see what you like - AOKP, AOSP, CM, and optimized Stock.

I somewhat agree with you but not with how absolute you are stating it. ROM's do affect performance, in many ways. Fewer screen elements, less to render. Remove debugging/logging code. Just two off the top of my head (I'm not a dev and dont' feel like thinking that hard about it). If ROM's lagged the system a lot less people would run them.

Also in my experience there are plenty of stable ROM's if stability is all apps and navigation working normally. ROM's Like CM, Paranoid, etc do typically have some issues since they are much more aggressive about adding new features. It depends on a lot of factors. How long a dev stays with a ROM. What his view is on stability vs features vs performance, etc.

And yes I agree that trying them is the best thing. Especially on a device like the N7 where flashing is so easy and almost any problem can be fixed.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I somewhat agree with you but not with how absolute you are stating it. ROMs do affect performance, in many ways. Fewer screen elements, less to render. Remove debugging/logging code. Just two off the top of my head (I'm not a dev and dont' feel like thinking that hard about it). If ROMs lagged the system a lot less people would run them.

Also in my experience there are plenty of stable ROMs if stability is all apps and navigation working normally. ROMs Like CM, Paranoid, etc do typically have some issues since they are much more aggressive about adding new features. It depends on a lot of factors. How long a dev stays with a ROM. What his view is on stability vs features vs performance, etc.

And yes I agree that trying them is the best thing. Especially on a device like the N7 where flashing is so easy and almost any problem can be fixed.

Ok I will try and clarify. The ROM can not add performance beyond what is already there supplied by hardware and managed by the Kernel. The Kernel can increase performance beyond what stock could by managing hardware better. The ROM can only make use of supplied resources with less or more waste. A ROM can never increase performance beyond what it is supplied.

So what you may experience as increased performance from a ROM change but still on stock Kernel is just a ROM with less waste. Where as a stock ROM with a better Kernel can experience many times larger increase to performance and yes the stock ROM will still waste more.

Conclusion: A ROM and Kernel will increase resources and manage them better than either a Kernel or ROM will alone. Just a ROM change has the lease performance benefits but they are there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay