[GUIDE] Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013) Cache Partition Wipe

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If any device starts to behave oddly or slowly, there's a decent chance that wiping the system cache partition can help. The system cache partition is a storage area for system data such as logfiles, frequently accessed app data that has been temporarily cached there, and downloaded apk installer files from Google Play. Over time, this temporary data can build up and potentially contribute to system slowdowns or even misbehavior. Clearing this cache partition can potentially help, and should never be harmful, because no personal data will be lost.

[NOTE]The system cache partition is different from individual app caches that can be cleared in the Settings/Apps menu, or by using apps like App Cache Cleaner. Clearing the individual app caches can free up storage memory, but won't necessary address any system issues.[/NOTE]
In order to wipe the cache partition, you need to access the device's Recovery Menu. Many devices allow you to access the stock Recovery Menu by executing a certain pattern of button presses, but certain devices lock you out of the Recovery Menu. You can get around this by installing a custom recovery, but that's beyond the scope of my experience. Trying to find out how to access the Recovery Menu for a given device can sometimes be frustrating, even with a Google search. You may need to use search terms like recovery, cache partition, or reset, along with the name of your device.

The steps for accessing the Recovery Menu on the 2012 and 2013 Nexus 7 can be found here (https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2668187?hl=en), but the directions are specifically for a Hard Reset (i.e., a complete device wipe). The following instructions are a slight modification, in order to wipe the cache partition. Apologies for the suboptimal picture quality--you can't take screenshots in the Recovery Menu, and I don't have a professional setup to take photos of a screen!

1. Power the tablet down.

2. Now press and hold Power. As soon as you see the Google logo appear, immediately press and hold Vol Down (while still holding Power).

3. Keep holding Power and Vol Down until you see this screen:

DSCN0441.jpg

4. Use the Volume keys to select Recovery (press Vol Down twice), and then press Power.

DSCN0442.jpg

5. You'll see the Google logo appear for about 5-10 seconds, then our little friend will show up looking a little piqued.

DSCN0434.jpg

6. While pressing and holding Power, press the Vol Up button, then release both buttons. You don't have to hold either button down for very long. The Recovery Menu will now appear:

DSCN0444.jpg

7. Once again, use the Volume buttons to move the cursor up or down. Press Vol Down 3 times to highlight "wipe cache partition," then press Power to execute.

DSCN0445.jpg

8. You'll see some notifications about the progress at the bottom of the screen--it shouldn't take any longer than 10 seconds or so to complete. When done, the Recovery Menu will appear again, with "reboot system now" already highlighted.

DSCN0446.jpg

9. Press the Power button, and your Nexus 7 will reboot, hopefully with a little faster and smoother performance!

Last edited:

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Does this still work with KitKat?

I am on 4.4.2 and get stuck on step 6, it wont get past the No command screen to enter the Recovery Menu if I press power and Vol up.

===========================================================================================

EDIT....ok it does work fine, but the above step 6. should be worded diff. When you press and hold the power button, then press the vol up button and let go while still holding down the power button. I figured it out from watching this guy do it to a N4 watching this guy on youtube

Very quick and easy process.....just hope it gets rid of a big system freeze that did not go away with the last 2 updates for me though.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that tip, although I've never had any problem with releasing both Power and Volume Up at the same time.

hog1340

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Excellent, thanks for the write up. Just did it on my 2013, but really wanted to just test it. I'm responsible for 9 2012 units in the family and a couple of those are getting a little buggy. Thanks again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

pktchunk

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the easy to use guide. I've never tried anything like this with my Androids, as I didn't want to screw anything up. These directions couldn't have made it any easier. Hopefully my Nexus7 stops randomly restarting now. I really don't want to have to return it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the easy to use guide. I've never tried anything like this with my Androids, as I didn't want to screw anything up. These directions couldn't have made it any easier. Hopefully my Nexus7 stops randomly restarting now. I really don't want to have to return it.

Glad you found it helpful! If you still have random restarts, also try booting into Safe Mode (https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en). This disables all 3rd party apps, and can help you narrow down the problem to something you installed vs some inherent problem with the system files or the hardware. If random restarts persist even on Safe Mode, you have a problem device, and you should talk to Google or wherever you bought it about an exchange or refund. If it's too late for that, contact Google or Asus for warranty work.

beadyeyedgirl

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Thank you very much for this! Great, clear instructions too :) I have just done it on my 2012 nexus 7 running 4.4.2. For a while now, but particularly lately, it has been lagging really badly, like, for example when I rotate the screen it has trouble keeping up etc. and has just become generally less responsive. Is this normal?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Glad you found this useful. I wouldn't say that the lag is "normal," but it's also not too surprising for the 2012 Nexus 7. Unfortunately, it can be hard to pinpoint what exactly causes the lag. A lot of times, it clears up after a simple reboot, but the cache partition wipe can also help.

Glyn Powell

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 7 (2013), KitKat.

Front-facing camera had ceased to work ... Skype.
Default Android camera worked (back-facing), when I tried front facing, it stopped working and subsequent attempts to access camera returned "Could not connect to camera". Third party camera worked fine but refused to go to front facing.

I applied the above process.

All working fine now.

Thank you :)

Sent from my Atari STE upgraded to 4 meg of ram.

bmoliver

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks very much for this. My 2013 N7 (running 4.4.2) started going down to only about 1 day on the battery even in standby mode when it used to last about 4+ days. After the the wipe, it is now back to 4+ days. All went as described.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My nexus 7 is at snail pace. 34% in 30 hours. how do I solve this problem

Welcome to Android Central! It would be better for you to post in the proper Nexus 7 forum depending on which generation you have:

Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013) - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
or
Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012) - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Make sure you give us more details. Is it just running slow? Does it lag when opening apps? How many apps do you have installed?
You also included what I assume is the remaining battery after 30 hours--battery use isn't necessarily the same problem as slow performance. If battery life is an issue, make sure you post screenshots of your battery stats and battery graph after running the battery down to 20-30%.

kellyjdrummer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Does this still work with KitKat?

I am on 4.4.2 and get stuck on step 6, it wont get past the No command screen to enter the Recovery Menu if I press power and Vol up.

===========================================================================================

EDIT....ok it does work fine, but the above step 6. should be worded diff. When you press and hold the power button, then press the vol up button and let go while still holding down the power button. I figured it out from watching this guy do it to a N4 watching this guy on youtube

Very quick and easy process.....just hope it gets rid of a big system freeze that did not go away with the last 2 updates for me though.

"3." should say 'tap vol down' also. Not "hold." Hold power but tap vol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie