Steps to take before using WugFresh

Jokeaccount

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I am contemplating of using the toolkit to root my Nexus. I know it is one of the best ways to do it and it doesn't fail but I want to be 100% safe. I looked at different threads here but kinda got confused and I couldn't find a step by step guide on what precautions one has to take before attempting this. I am not going to be using any custom ROMs or anything of that sort just want to enable superuser and root access for some stuff. However after checking here and there I've seen many people having problems when they try to reset the device to factory settings if they need to have it checked etc. The most prevalent was when they used the "fastboot erase bootloader" command I think? That seems to cause a lot of problems and devices fail to load etc. What I want to know is what do I need to backup and how in order to be able to reset my device from "ANY" state. For example that guy above said he didn't have a backup of the bootloader and now his device wasn't able to boot anything. I want to avoid any such hassle. Also note that I'm not accustomed to this process and even though I know the basics of how a device works I am not experienced with the lingo and processes used for mobile devices.

Thanks in advance

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

The best precaution in using Wugfresh is to USE Wugfresh to make a complete backup. The NRT makes this very straightforward.

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The only precaution is to have anything you want to keep backed-up. Your device will be wiped when you unlock your bootloader. Which I believe you need to do to root, but I might be wrong. But you definitely need to be unlocked to install a custom recovery which I recommend you do even if all you want to do is root your device.

Your Google stuff is sync'd to Google servers.

Pictures and music books etc can be copied to your computer. They should be fine on your tablet, but you want to be safe.

If you are using Google to backup your apps will be restored automatically. Otherwise you can reinstall your apps from the store. Or use a backup program like My Backup which has a free one week trial and works without root. If you want to save you sms Msgs use an app from the store. The same goes guy things like call logs.

There is no one right way to backup your system. What matters is that you feel you have some kind of backup for what you want to save.

Wugs has a backup utility but I've never used it so don't know what it backs up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63